Thread: new guy

new guy

Hey there,

New guy here. I apologize in advance for not searching for the questions I am going to ask. I've searched for most of them, but I don't have a lot of free time. I work about 60 hours and have a newborn....

I just purchased my sx4 a few days ago. Needed something more efficient than my 4x4.

I have hopes to turn the sx4 into a rally type car.

Questions I have.

Does the lightweight crankshaft pulleyade by RRM do anything? Is it safe? I know deleting a harmonic balancer is bad....but I was told these engines are internally balanced. Any good performance mods?

I see the RRO lift kit. I read something about it braking struts. Is this true?
    Is there anything else I can add to the suspension to beef it up or get some more articulation.

Anyone have a snorkel of some sort installed?

I read that the AWD system cannot be used in the rain as it will overheat the rear diff. Anyone have a differential cooler?

The paint on the rear hatch is fading. Has anyone painted the rear hatch door black?

Anything note worthy I should know?

Questions in afraid to ask. I noticed....after buying the car....that in certain gears I get a very light pulse. I first noticed it at very low Rpms when I floored the car in 5th at 2500 (need to get used to driving stick again). But I noticed it yesterday in third gear during spirited driving. Felt like three quick pulses. Any ideas? Would a light misfire cause this....or am I losing the transmission already....?

2009 sx4 hatchback awd

"I have hopes to turn the sx4 into a rally type car." I wouldn't bother doing this, its a great car off road stock and shouldn't need many serious mods. Besides parts are getting harder to find now that its been discontinued in the US.

"Does the lightweight crankshaft pulleyade by RRM do anything? Is it safe? I know deleting a harmonic balancer is bad....but I was told these engines are internally balanced. Any good performance mods? "
    Not sure about the crankshaft pulley, it may be the same thing I bought. I bought the RRM underdrive power pulley and noticed better responsiveness when putting the pedal down and even stays in 5th gear longer before needing to shift down (may have even gained 1mpg). Was a good investment.

Only other mods I needed for power were K&N air filter (added a couple horsepower) and Iridium Spark Plugs (Definitely noticeable horsepower gain, maybe 4-5hp really). Car didn't need much else, its no race car but after these mods it had enough pickup for me.

I'd avoid getting any lift kit, the struts on this car suck to begin with, even the KYB mentioned in the forums started leaking for me after 10 thousand miles. The cars got 6" of clearance, if you want more should probably get a different car.

"I read that the AWD system cannot be used in the rain as it will overheat the rear diff. Anyone have a differential cooler?"

Not sure why people are saying that, the AWD system works great on wet/dry surfaces, its not like 4x4 where you only use in the snow or slippery surfaces, never had overheat problems with this.

One last thing I did recently (because i like fast cars) is I removed the rear seats and spare tire (wouldn't recommend removing spare tire). Anyways that was a LOT of weight and now this thing is great off the line and is quite quick- still no race car but I'm very happy with it. Also I'm getting 27.5mgp instead of 24.9mgp average now.

-Recommend Kuhmo tires as they last longer and handle well with this car.

Best,

-mike

Okay,

I did some research. It looks like we can fit Volkswagen struts? From a 2000 beetle or so. Part number: F4-BNE-2942-BG
    Wouldn't that also mean that we can also use the performance Bilstein shocks that fit that car? such as these: http://tinyurl.com/y8ywy7mo

Would those shocks work with the RRO lift kit?

Can we also use the springs from the vehicle? If so we can get a suspension lift. We could use the springs from the vr6 Jetta wagon.

The reason people are saying you can't use the AWD in the rain....is because it says that in the manual. It says not to use the Lock or Auto function in the rain. I read that this is because it will overheat the rear diff. Sooo has anyone tried a differential cooler to fix this.

Also I read about a front locker. Can't seem to find the thread again. Anyone know what locker fits?

Quote Originally Posted by 99Troopers View Post
    The reason people are saying you can't use the AWD in the rain....is because it says that in the manual. It says not to use the Lock or Auto function in the rain. I read that this is because it will overheat the rear diff.
    Is that what you read, or is that how you understand it?

Here's what the 2010 manual says:

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 Manual
    NOTE:
    • Avoid operating your vehicle in the “i-
    AWD LOCK” on wet pavement as much
    as possible. Operating your vehicle in
    the “i-AWD LOCK” on wet pavement
    may cause severe damage to the drive
    train
    In other words, don't use Lock on wet pavement. There's too much traction. iAWD Auto is fine in the rain.
    #1 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, RRO lift/shock relo, K&N, 215R70-16
    #2 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, K&N, Suzuki custom wheels

If you want to turn it into a rally car, anything is possible. RRM crankshaft pulley helps quite a bit in throttle response/pickup and low range rpm (I've had it for almost all my car's life now at 60k km and zero issues). As mentioned avoid using lock on dry/wet pavement or don't try to do a burnout n lock mode lol. Auto mode can be used all the time. For the pulses you are getting, I would check the spark plugs... sounds like a misfire?
    AWD 2013. CVT. Custom SRI w/Apollo, RRM Crank Pulley, RRM piggyback ecu, Custom 2.25 Flowmaster exhaust, RRM Front/Rear Swaybars, UR Rear Strut bar, Megan Racing Coilovers, Techna-fit brake lines, A118 Dashcam, More coming...

Hmmm maybbe I misread that. I'll have to check the manual again.

I did some research. It looks like we can fit Volkswagen struts? From a 2000 beetle or so. Part number: F4-BNE-2942-BG
    Wouldn't that also mean that we can also use the performance Bilstein shocks that fit that car? such as these: http://tinyurl.com/y8ywy7mo

Would those shocks work with the RRO lift kit?

Can we also use the springs from the vehicle? If so we can get a suspension lift. We could use the springs from the vr6 Jetta wagon.

Also I read about a front locker. Can't seem to find the thread again. Anyone know what locker fits?

Bump