Thread: Tpms

Tpms

Question: I just dropped my tire pressure to 28psi because my tires were wearing in the center. My question is can the TPMS sensors be reprogramed to a lower tire pressure?

My TPMS didn't light the dash light until my tires got down to about 24 PSI. Personally I think the TPMS is a waste of time.
    Feline mechanics Condoleezza Mice and Duke Wayne
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 1996 beater Miata

I wish I could just pull the damn things

Quote Originally Posted by DennisN View Post
    Personally I think the TPMS is a waste of time.
    Agree. They're for the inattentive and unobservant, i.e. most Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose Maine View Post
    I wish I could just pull the damn things
    Pull 'em. I've been driving around with the TPMS light flashing. I was thinking about putting a black dot piece of electrical tape on the dash, but now it's become part of the dashboard background.
    #1 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, RRO lift/shock relo, K&N, 215R70-16
    #2 2011 SX4 Crossover MT (Tech pkg), Sunlight Copper, K&N, Suzuki custom wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose Maine View Post
    Question: I just dropped my tire pressure to 28psi because my tires were wearing in the center. My question is can the TPMS sensors be reprogramed to a lower tire pressure?
    What pressure had you been running? I use 36 psi. Current set are down to 4mm after 48k miles and tread seems to be wearing evenly. I think 28 is too low.

my tires are general grabbers a/t 2 215 65 26 I was running them at 32 psi but I noticed the center was wearing on my tires so I was recommended by the dealership that I drop them down to 28psi now the light stays on until it's around 76* outside and then it will go out.

I had all 4 replaced and the light is still on. The mechanic says it could be the BCM - Body Control Module. Is this likely? What do they cost?

Have you tried resetting the TPMS?

One (or more) of my sensors is bad. I'm used to the light being on now! (As well as the airbag light; my dash is pretty much a lit Christmas tree!)
    Matt in Selah (near Yakima) WA
    '09 AWD SX4, '16 6.7L Power Stroke Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 - 860 lb ft torque!, '74 Ford Bronco