Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep snow driving...

Deep snow driving...

So this morning was a nightmare shovleing/blowing snow to get my car out... about 2ft of HEAVY/WET snow... Even the snowblower was having problems with it...

So my original plan was to just clear enough snow for two tire tracks and drive my way out... But then I saw my neighbor and changed my mind...
    So my neighbor has a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 5.0L with snow tires... theres close to 2ft of snow on the ground and he has about a 200ft flat driveway to get to the plowed public roads...
    He decides the best way to get through is to just slam on the gas and blast through it... Well that did not work out so good for him... he managed to get stuck 3 times... I helped him shovel and push to get out but after that ordeal i thought it best if i just cleared my entire driveway... I figured if he couldnt get out with a wrangler which has more ground clearance and snow tires there was no way I was doing it in the sx4.

Afterwards I thought about it and maybe it was his driving style...
    So my question is, with deep heavy/wet snow (2ft) is it better to go creep along or just try to plow through?
    My neighbor kept getting bogged down and then his tires would spin and his car would just dig in, couldnt reverse or go forward...

I still highly doubt the sx4 wouldve been able to do it just because there isnt enough ground clearance and after plowing a few ft the heavy snow would just pile up front and i'd get stuck...
    2010 SX4 Crossover 6MT AWD

I get stuck all the time...it's half the fun...only get stuck when i'm off the main roads though...we haven't had as much snow here in illinois
    '10 Sport S 6MT Qsilver [Zenex 6000k Hid/DRL delete/3aRacing dual tip
    '10 Honda Fit Base(Midnight Blue 5AT) *Fiancées car*

Quote Originally Posted by 2010sx4sport6spd View Post
    I get stuck all the time...it's half the fun...only get stuck when i'm off the main roads though...we haven't had as much snow here in illinois
    Not when youre trying to get to work...

So my question is: Is it better to drive slow or just try to plow quickly through deep heavy snow?
    2010 SX4 Crossover 6MT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastSX4 View Post
    Not when youre trying to get to work...

So my question is: Is it better to drive slow or just try to plow quickly through deep heavy snow?
    if its just a little bit of deep snow and you have no chance shootin out into traffic then i say plow through it...but depending on how much and where you are at it may be better to go slow...i start out in second gear with my Sport S FWD and it works out better. I may not make sense but there's my two cents worth
    '10 Sport S 6MT Qsilver [Zenex 6000k Hid/DRL delete/3aRacing dual tip
    '10 Honda Fit Base(Midnight Blue 5AT) *Fiancées car*

The speed really depends on depends on what your trying to do. Trying to floor it will mostly cause wheel spin which is good for clearing the tire tread, but when you are starting from a stand still it really doesn't do much more than that. Some people get the feeling that when they floor it they are going fast and the momentum will let them push threw but if you don't have a running start that doesn't get you anywhere.

When the snow is really deep I usually have really good luck with this trick:

1. Lock it if you got it
    2. Start slow going forward and stay moving slow
    3. When/if you feel the car slowing gradually let off the gas
    4. when you stop switch it into reverse and back up over your old tracks
    5. Put it back in drive and do it all over again

This not only gives you some space for run up but also gives the snow you are pushing/compacting and building up under the car a place and chance to clear. Give it a try.
    2007 SX4 JLX Pearl White - RRO Lifted, Sparco Drifted, 215/65/R16s, Trim/Racks Stripped...
    2009 SX4 JLX Vivid Red - Lifted, Hitched, 215/65/R16 General Grabbers, Slotted Rotors, LEDs Everywhere, DMM HIDs, LED Tails, Rally Armour Mud Flaps, Black RR...

^^ I also do that, though I've never tried w/ the sx4.

Unless you've got some aggresive tires (mud terrains or better) flooring it will just make a couple nice little shiney spots under your tires.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastSX4 View Post
    So my neighbor has a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 5.0L with snow tires... theres close to 2ft of snow on the ground and he has about a 200ft flat driveway to get to the plowed public roads...
    He decides the best way to get through is to just slam on the gas and blast through it... Well that did not work out so good for him... he managed to get stuck 3 times... I helped him shovel and push to get out but after that ordeal i thought it best if i just cleared my entire driveway... I figured if he couldnt get out with a wrangler which has more ground clearance and snow tires there was no way I was doing it in the sx4.

Afterwards I thought about it and maybe it was his driving style...
    So my question is, with deep heavy/wet snow (2ft) is it better to go creep along or just try to plow through?
    Neither.

It's better to shovel your ****ing driveway before you try to creep OR "plow through" to the the public road.

Especially when there's 2 feet of crap. Just cause you have AWD doesn't mean you don't have to shovel.

or when your parents get a new driveway you wait for them to tear it up and then lay cross sections of pipe. rout the pipe to the furnace with a bypass valve and mix it 50/50 with car antifreeze.

flip the valve and your driveway will stay warm enough to keep the snow off. My neighbors envy us
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic...

Plus, if you drive on it you will compact it and make it a really awful job to try and remove later. It is best to move the snow while it is virgin.

If one is just trying to get through a tough spot on a road or something, the advice about proceed until you cannot, back up in your own tracks and start again is good advice. I am born and raised in snow country, have AWD, and still move the snow before driving on my driveway.
    2009 AWD Hatchback, 5 speed, Tech Package, trailer hitch, Lifted, big tires, skid plates
    Others: 2002 Mustang GT Convertable (My fair weather ride) 2002 MR2 Spyder (Wife's ride)
    1947 Stinson 108-2 Airplane (My retirement flyer)

I wouldn't risk it either way. With that much snow and for how heavy it is...you may as well kiss your front bumper good-bye if you tried, especially if you get stuck and try to reverse.

I've seen a Ranger lose a bumper that way...
    2009 Suzuki SX4 Touring M/T -The Snow Brick-
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R