Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 SX4 great condition but no motor

2007 SX4 great condition but no motor

Unfortunately my son neglected to check the oil regularly and cooked the motor. Was in the process of rebuilding but Suzuki is back ordered on cranks for an unknown amount of time and 4 failed misrepresented replacement motor purchases and here we are. My mechanic is done and so are we. Time to part ways. Everything worked perfectly prior to engine failure. The car is lifted and has bigger tires. Front skid plate and touch screen stereo with back up cam are added features. It does have e rebuilt/salvage title. The engine was toast and was scrapped by my mechanic so unfortunately there's not even a motor to work with. The tranny and K member are removed. $1500 obo. Located in Salt Lake City for pick up only.

Sorry to hear of your dilemna. Your SX4 looks identical to mine sans lift kit. I was an early adopter - purchased new in Jan. 2007 - currently at 105K, no issues other than the AC compressor clutch coil is corroded and AC works sometimes.

Have you looked into some other rebuilder sources that may not be local, but will ship for a reasonable price? The following rebuilder is highly regarded, and used by many pro shops.

I hope you can find a solution that would allow you to keep the car, but I also understand that these vehicles are orphans not holding good resale value, even though they are stout and reliable for the most part.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rebuilder with good rep for quality rebuilds = https://www.powertrainproducts.net/

If they do not list the SX4 engine on the website --- give them a call --- they are very good at answering any detailed questions you might have.

UPDATE: I did live chat and the aforementioned rebuilder said they do not currently have the SX4 J20A engine available. I also asked about rebuilding a customer supplied long block but have not heard back from the rebuilder. Give them a call --- they might have more to say on the phone about prospects or alternate sources.
    Last edited by Vs29h0b; April 27th, 2017 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vs29h0b View Post
    Sorry to hear of your dilemna. Your SX4 looks identical to mine sans lift kit. I was an early adopter - purchased new in Jan. 2007 - currently at 105K, no issues other than the AC compressor clutch coil is corroded and AC works sometimes.

Have you looked into some other rebuilder sources that may not be local, but will ship for a reasonable price? The following rebuilder is highly regarded, and used by many pro shops.

I hope you can find a solution that would allow you to keep the car, but I also understand that these vehicles are orphans not holding good resale value, even though they are stout and reliable for the most part.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rebuilder with good rep for quality rebuilds = https://www.powertrainproducts.net/

If they do not list the SX4 engine on the website --- give them a call --- they are very good at answering any detailed questions you might have.

UPDATE: I did live chat and the aforementioned rebuilder said they do not currently have the SX4 J20A engine available. I also asked about rebuilding a customer supplied long block but have not heard back from the rebuilder. Give them a call --- they might have more to say on the phone about prospects or alternate sources.
    Thanks for that. I would rather keep the car. Of all the vehicles I've owned I think this has been my favorite. Unfortunately we don't even have a motor to be rebuilt. After getting burned with two eBay purchases, one random online purchase, and a local purchase (seized, rusted internals and looks like it was drug from the bottom of the ocean, double sold and shipped to someone else, and seized respectively) we are becoming frustrated.
    I'm still looking locally and can hopefully find a donor vehicle and/or another mechanic that's willing to pick up where we've left off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish I had the cash, that's identical to my '09 which was totaled by hail, the day after I paid it off no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Die trying View Post
    I wish I had the cash, that's identical to my '09 which was totaled by hail, the day after I paid it off no less.
    Want to sell the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
    Want to sell the motor?
    I have a motor out of my 2009 SX4 crossover it has about 25-30,000 miles on the motor maybe not even that much my wife took a rock to the radiator and blue the head gasket so it definitely needs a head gasket and possibly the head shaved I purchased a motor from LKQ, and had it shipped to my mechanic who swapped it out when the car was less than a year old. It has the J 20 A motor I have it in California and can get it to the Reno arwa, I've always hung on to it thinking I would get it rebuilt and use it as a backup motor but it's sat there now for 7 years so!?!!
    I'm in Reno Nevada let me know if you're interested

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Up4wesn View Post
    I have a motor out of my 2009 SX4 crossover it has about 25-30,000 miles on the motor maybe not even that much my wife took a rock to the radiator and blue the head gasket so it definitely needs a head gasket and possibly the head shaved I purchased a motor from LKQ, and had it shipped to my mechanic who swapped it out when the car was less than a year old. It has the J 20 A motor I have it in California and can get it to the Reno arwa, I've always hung on to it thinking I would get it rebuilt and use it as a backup motor but it's sat there now for 7 years so!?!!
    I'm in Reno Nevada let me know if you're interested

I may be interested. Depends on what you want for it and if you would ship it. Also how complete is it. Since we have nothing to start with would it come with intake and exhaust manifolds or coil packs?

I'll let you know in a few days, I'm in Reno, when I get to the Bay area I will look

If this engine swap does not work out ---- what was your experience with the LKQ engine (good or bad) ???

To the OP ---- LKQ might work /might be worth a call or check to see if they are an ebay reseller ???

Quote Originally Posted by Vs29h0b View Post
    If this engine swap does not work out ---- what was your experience with the LKQ engine (good or bad) ???

To the OP ---- LKQ might work /might be worth a call or check to see if they are an ebay reseller ???
    Actually LKQ was our second attempt. The oil pan had a giant hole in it and it looked like it had been stored outside for over a year. In fact there was standing water in the intake. So not a good experience.