Thread: Long term test Sumitomo HTR P02 on Crossover

Long term test Sumitomo HTR P02 on Crossover

I am so cheap that I kept the original Turanzas on my 2011 Crossover until today. At 33K miles they have annoyed me enough. I did a lot of reading and the two prime candidates for replacement were the Continental PureContact and the Sumitomo HTR P02, both in OEM size of 205/60-16. If you go to Tire Rack and do a comparison of the Turanza EL-400, PureContact, and HTR P02, you will find that the Turanza ranks far below both of the others AND is much more expensive to boot.

Based on my very positive experience with the earlier Sumitomo P01 tires on my 1996 Miata (5 years and 30K miles and still on the car) I decided to save some money and get the P02s for the Crossover. I bought them in the OEM size of 205/60-16. They go for about $23 a tire cheaper than the PureContacts and have similar treadlife warranties (65K vs. 70K miles). Five years ago Consumer Reports ranked the Michelin Pilot and Sumitomo P01 as tied for first place among performance all-season tires - that says a lot since the P01s were half the price of the Pilots. Now Consumer Reports ranks the PureContact as the number one all-season but sadly did NOT test the P02s.

So I'm starting a long term test thread. Somehow the Sumitomo name is not mentioned much here on the forum, although they are the corporate owners of more well-known brands such as Ohtsu, Falken, and Dunlop (asia). Sumitomo is one of those huge Japanese conglomerates and only in the last decade have they decided to put their corporate name on a brand of tire.

So far the P02s roll smoother and with less noise than the Turanzas. They also have stiffer sidewalls: when I drove home I could swear that the tire shop had over-inflated them but after letting them cool at home I found they were at the OEM spec of 33 PSI. Let me break them in with a few thousand miles and I'll come back here.
    Last edited by DennisN; October 6th, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
    Feline mechanics Maggie the moggie and Duke
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 2018 ND Miata

I run Falken 950 since 2 years now. Its basically the same tire, since Sumitomo owns falken. Great tire, especially in the rain. No problem at ALL driving pedal to the metal. And I run 215-65-15 tires lol. The stock tires are what they usually are, garbage. ANYTHING will run better than a beat to sh%t overworn oem tire.

Time flies. I just noticed that I have put 1,000 miles on the P02s, so I thought I'd post back here. The steering is still tight and overall I've been happy with them. Light snow in the past week of 1" to 2" has been not a problem. A great upgrade from the OEM tires at a very reasonable price.

Now with 2,000 miles on the tires. I've noticed they are substantially quieter than the OEM Turanzas. They are also substantially quieter than the earlier model P01 tires I had on my Miata. I think the redesign from P01 to P02 made them more passenger-car friendly.

Just turned one year and 5,000 miles on the PO2's. They have been an outstanding choice over the past year and four seasons.

As I said, I have the falken 950 wich is the same tire from the same company (sumitomo owns Falken) and this tire on the sx4 is AMAZING. 215-65-15. Super handling tire. Something really weird is that I have the same tire on the Miata and it sucks. My guess is theres enough sidewall on the sx4 for it to be comfy and sticky on the road while the mx5 suffers from too little side wall 195-45-15

I've got a little over 21,000 miles on them now. Treadwear is at 6/32" all four tires. So I should get over 30K miles on this set. They may age out before they wear out.

The new replacement tire is the P03.

Funny, i have the falkens on mine in the 215/60-16 size as well. I seen on eibach springs and have the addco sway bar and they are amazing. I drive about 65 miles a day, and run then from spring through fall, and they are a great handling all season. I regularly take on and off ramps at much higher than needed speeds. I like that they are very predictable, and give plenty of warning before they break loose. I had a set of the sumitumos on an old vw golf and fell in love with them. One of the first tires i look at with every new car purchase.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For fall, winter, spring driving I use Toyo Celsius all weather tire (stock tire size on Mazda 3 steel wheels 16x6.5").................they get the job done. For summer use I have my Firestone Indy 500 tires 245/45/17 on 17x8" Konig Ultraforms.

With those Indy 500's you can take on and off ramps at stupid speeds in my car (lowered with Eibach springs, alignment, KYB and RSB), overkill tire for this type of car and wet traction is phenomenal even 4 years later after putting them on new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnS2ivaKnn0
    10 SX4 6sp AWD, 17 CX-3 AWD
    19 Corvette ZR1
    09 Z06 (gone), 13 Shelby GT500 (gone)