Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Driveshaft U-Joints are not symmetrical - Rockford instructions don't warn you

You are correct..I will check/feel the mating surface before installation..thx.
    The shaft is sitting in my garage waiting in queue....Two otherfixing jobs is ahead of it...
    2007 AWD auto...K/N air filter. AUX input. NBattery. 185k km
    Fixes..alternator,swaybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod, Pwiperarm,exhaustjoint,rearaxleseal.u joints.

Just finished replaced Ujoint ..shaft is not back on SX4 yet..

Here is some tips from my experience

Spray liquid wrench on nuts, bolts and the mating flanges . you can spray bolts on back side at rear stuck out the flange disk.
    Even you have loosen the centre support nuts. Spraythegap in between a bit.

Made sure you have support when lower the shaft that will hold shaft straight..there is a rubber boot at cente support..Mine had a pin hole from the dhaft bending...silicone fix.

there is a centring ring ont shaft..Might need a few bow to break rust.. use screw driver to pry it out.

Cutting the spiders needs patience and good lighting..
    IMPORTANT..make sure you have Full face shield and heavy colthing..AS WELL A DUST MASK..
    watch youtube on safety using A grinder. grinder cutting is quite dangerous from shattering disk and runs from caught edges.. you need rocking motion to coolthe disk....once you have a hang of it it is quite easy.

To cut spider you have move the end piece to left side and down as possible.I have to hammer to loosen the end piece as one of it frozen solid.

Grinding the stacks out is simple but make sure you take it out good .. if you still see a u mark...it means there is still raised stack..

Getting it back togethef is quite simple; I used a vise.,make sure you measure before assembly.. might need filing further sanding etc..
    The c clips must have contacts on both side. check as some of it pop out on bottom.

It is definitely not an easy change...
    Last edited by CF7; September 11th, 2016 at 12:52 PM.
    Fixes..alternator,swaybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod, Pwiperarm,exhaustjoint,rearaxleseal.u joints.

Quote Originally Posted by CF7 View Post
    ...It is definitely not an easy change...
    Imagine what it would have been like if you had dangling seals in the way - a la the Rockford parts.

I think I remember you posting this is is the first time you've done a U-joint...and as such I'd say you've done very well. 1st timers loose cups or needle bearings and end up having to get another kit to finish things off. Congratulations!

Shaft is back on SX4.

Felt a very,very light vibration..I was expecting that because of the rust on the shaft..especially the rear section..I cleaned out many rust dipples, but many were still on..I just spray paint over it...

Just another tiplearned from nstallation

Use a 18 inches extension bar to get the top bolt tighten as I was too lazy to jack up all 4.. I only had rear up in the air.

The Centre support nuts are not exactly 14mm..It is kind of 13.5 mm

Future ..
    I can see that I will need a new shaft next time because of rusting..

Just grease the Ujoints today..the grease pushed out from inside is pitch black.. I use clear grease

*bump*

I just can't help but notice that on these u-joints, they throw a grease fitting right on the outside of a single cup. And with it spinning ~4x the axle speed, how is that not going to cause an unbalanced condition? Hmmm.

As far as using the symmetrical u-joints, what would be so wrong with just re-staking the new joints? As long as they are centered in the yoke, a small amount of tack welding from the wire feed should be plenty enough to hold them in, so if the clips don't line up, it won't matter, right?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    *bump*

I just can't help but notice that on these u-joints, they throw a grease fitting right on the outside of a single cup. And with it spinning ~4x the axle speed, how is that not going to cause an unbalanced condition? Hmmm.

As far as using the symmetrical u-joints, what would be so wrong with just re-staking the new joints? As long as they are centered in the yoke, a small amount of tack welding from the wire feed should be plenty enough to hold them in, so if the clips don't line up, it won't matter, right?
    I agree the single grease nipple isn’t the best for balance, but I think it’s aluminum and roughly a trade off for the steel drilled out of the cup.

When I buy a part advertised as a replacement part it better fit right. I’m sure over half the DIY people who would buy this don’t have a MIG and don’t want to be responsible for centralizing the joint especially since they just paid good money for a part that’s supposed to fit without any such work arounds. That’s what’s wrong. Folks who want to take the risk and responsibility by performing creative techniques such as welding should feel free to go that route. Not something I'd do, and I do have a MIG/TIG/Stick and gas setup.
    Last edited by gtemkin; November 13th, 2017 at 04:06 AM.
    2008 AWD Manual
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    As long as they are centered in the yoke, a small amount of tack welding from the wire feed should be plenty enough to hold them in, so if the clips don't line up, it won't matter, right?
    Most stacking are done with shaft on a balancing machine.so there is no error.. TIG before installation does not guarrantee it is balanced.

I will have to experiment to find out for sure how well it goes. I'll let everyone know when the time comes. The joints already have a "flat" spot in them, so its just a matter of time before the wiggle wobble of the drive shaft begins.