Thread: Oil Fiter Relocation

Oil Fiter Relocation

Stay tuned! Just ordered the same Summit kit that AdR used. I'll do a full writeup for you guys when it gets in.

Right now I just feel like being a tease.

Decided I didn't like the quality of the Summit kit. Gonna make my own I think. Already ordered some bar stock.

So what does the DIY kit look like?

Keep us posted. I've been meaning to do this to both the SX4 and the Grand Vitara. The oil filter locations are just plain inconsiderate.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
    Keep us posted. I've been meaning to do this to both the SX4 and the Grand Vitara. The oil filter locations are just plain inconsiderate.
    x2 I own both these cars and I say to myself every, single, time. Why suzuki, whyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Sx4sport2008 View Post
    x2 I own both these cars and I say to myself every, single, time. Why suzuki, whyyy
    Especially when everything else is so easy to access. They went through a lot of trouble for easy access to the air filter, cabin filter, rear shock bolts, etc. And then they go stick the oil filter in those locations? Especially when you can stick an oil filter wherever the heck you want!

When one of the steps in the dealer instructions for oil changes is cleaning the oil that will inevitably spill out of the filter when you remove it, maybe you should put it somewhere else?

Don't even get me started on the water pump fiasco I just went through...

But then I have to remind myself that I used to work on a Volvo 850R. Probably the least enjoyable car to work on only second to every Audi.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Quote Originally Posted by Sx4sport2008 View Post
    +3. I also own both--well, SX4 is my wife's, but I change the oil. Her previous car was a Ford Focus--which has the oil filter near the front bottom of the engine, pointing straight up so you only spill a few drops while removing it (yes, there was a plastic shield that had to be removed to access the filter, but still...). My previous vehicle was a Dodge Ram pickup--again, oil filter mounted pointing straight up (and near the top front of the engine, so could remove from above). Hell, even my motorcycle has a filter mounted pointing up. This orientation also allows you to put some fresh oil into the filter before installing it, so the oil pressure builds right away when you start it up.

I've considered relocating the filter on both our Suzukis, but I can't really think where else I'm going to mount it. Not very keen on having the oil lines too long. Nathan, when you get it done, I for one will be very interested in your results.

Bump. Anyone get a kit and set it up yet?