Thread: Roof top tent/ Tepui Ayer

Roof top tent/ Tepui Ayer

Was searching the forum and ran across a few threads on roof top tents. This model Tepui was mentioned. Does someone on this forum own one and can give a review. Just hope the OEM roof rails will work with some brand roof tent.

I have that exact tent but sold under a different name. I absolutely love it, have used it a ton over the last 4 years and it's held up great. Still looks brand new, nothing is broken, nothing is breaking, nothing is even worn. I've had it in high winds, super cold temps, never let a drop of water in. Would recommend it to anyone.

One thing I will mention, make sure you have a strong partner to help you get it on and off the vehicle. It says it's 120lbs, but it's definitely heavier than that. I mounted mine on my trailer and haven't moved it since.

'11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Well Wagoneer, what do think of this particular tent mounted to the roof of the SX4? I have OEM crossbars. I will probably mount to them, was online looking up the specs.

Quote Originally Posted by VTR View Post
    Well Wagoneer, what do think of this particular tent mounted to the roof of the SX4? I have OEM crossbars. I will probably mount to them, was online looking up the specs.
    I had it mounted on my roof for a couple seasons as well. It was great, the crossbars are more than strong enough. You really don't even notice it's up there other then when you really push it around a corner or at 'higher than you really should be driving with a tent on your roof' speeds. Only reasoned why I designed my trailer around the tent was to have that as my sort of 'base camp' so I could have the SX4 free to drive around or do some trails while my campsite is still set up.

Wagon, what is the size of your tires again? Nevermind found it

Such a great package you built there Wagoneer. Too bad the lift is not reliable.
    Last edited by Sx4sport2008; February 11th, 2016 at 07:26 PM.

Been reliable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
    Been reliable for me.
    Yes, I am glad it is for you but it doesnt seem to be the norm so, not reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sx4sport2008 View Post
    Yes, I am glad it is for you but it doesnt seem to be the norm so, not reliable.
    I'm not sure this is a reasonable statement. No denying some have had problems, but to say failure is the norm is unproven. We don't know how many lifts have been (properly) installed vs how many have failed.
    Matt in Selah (near Yakima) WA
    '09 AWD SX4, '16 6.7L Power Stroke Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 - 860 lb ft torque!, '74 Ford Bronco

A few Forum Members have been curious about the Roof Top Tent Winch Setup

so I made this little video...

Using a harbor freight 2500lb winch and some new adjustable crossbars and you can easily attach / detach your Roof Top Tent from your rig.

https://youtu.be/9HaBeVYi1DA
    Last edited by josh_sx4; April 5th, 2020 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josh_sx4 View Post
    A few Forum Members have been curious about the Roof Top Tent Winch Setup

so I made this little video...

Using a harbor freight 2500lb winch and some new adjustable crossbars and you and easily attach / detach your Roof Top Tent from your rig.

https://youtu.be/9HaBeVYi1DA
    So great! Thanks for sharing!