Thread: AM/FM Antenna

AM/FM Antenna

I have a 2008 Suzuki SX-4 Sedan and I installed a PYLE Double-Din head unit. It looks really good, however the radio reception could be a lot better. The problem is I can't find my antenna. Is the antenna hidden somewhere or is it part of the rear window? If it is part of the real window, is there a way to boost the signal? Thanks.

My guess, if you had good reception before you removed the oem radio is that you didn't power up the factory antennas power lead...My hatchback has an amplified factory antenna, I thought the sedan had the same antenna on the roof...if it is in the glass there probably is an electronic amplifier in that as well. If you used a wiring harness to plug in to the factory harness, try attaching the new radio's blue antenna/system control to the blue wire in the harness. if I remember correctly the oem wire was white with a green stripe.

The SX4's radio reception sucks in any form. My Grand Vitara gets radio stations clear in my driveway when my SX4 is pure fuzz. This was back when it was completely OEM as well as aftermarket with a longer antenna. The larger antenna actually helped a bit, but it's still pretty dismal.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

What demoderbydave says is probably the situation.
    I installed a plug-and-play double-din chinese android and radio reception was non-existent. I had to remove the head unit and patch in power to the antenna wire to fix it. The head unit was specifically wired to connect to a suzuki sx4, but they obviously forgot to send power to the antenna, which was needed.
    2008 sx4 awd auto hatch touring

My OEM unit had decent FM reception, though no AM reception, not even static (i know, who listens to AM). The CD Player didn't work (i know, who listens to CD's). The new unit I put in has decent reception, though slightly worse then the OEM. I would like to improve it so I can't pick up the weaker stations better. I thought replacing the antenna would be good, though that doesn't look feasible now. The other alternative would be to get a FM Signal Amplifier (if they make one that actually works).

Did you actually power up the antenna with the power antenna lead? IMHO the factory radio you removed was junk...factory antennas (unless it was damaged/butchered up) rarely go bad...

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I am also struggling with poor FM radio reception, even in the city and within range. If the stock antenna/stereo setup has a powered antenna, would installing an aftermarket inline signal booster be a) possible? b) any use?

I suspect that you have a problem with the car's original amplified antenna system. I don't know where the actual amplifier is--whether it is up at the base of the antenna or whatnot, but without that working, the original antenna isn't going to get you jack. It needs to see +12v whenever the radio is on. Most, if not all, aftermarket head units have a power antenna output that works just fine to power the amplifier.

I have seen old traditional car antennas wrapped in electrical tape and stuck behind the dash with pretty good results. Or they like to shove them into an "A" pillar somewhere somehow. Those "hypermiler" people do this so their radio antenna wind resistance doesn't cut into their gas mileage.

To answer your question, it may be possible to get some kind of aftermarket signal booster, but it is easier to just give the original antenna a +12v power feed.

Quote Originally Posted by gananan View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I am also struggling with poor FM radio reception, even in the city and within range. If the stock antenna/stereo setup has a powered antenna, would installing an aftermarket inline signal booster be a) possible? b) any use?