Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: More mods for the beast :)

AWD 2013. CVT. Beast (RIP 2019)
    AWD 2013 6 speed Monster (stay tuned)

Hey Schultzey, do you know how to get a hold of Kevin Hull? He fabricated brackets to adapt evo x brembos to the sx4.

I haven't updated my thread for awhile now...

Headlights are done. All Morimoto and Profile Prism hardware. RGB demon eyes controlled with their app. HID Bi-xenon, blackhousing and turbine shrouds. Lighting color is 5500K

Fog lights have also been replaced with Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LEDs. 5500k color.

I've rust proof the car completely. Installed soft rubber rally mudflaps. Restored the rear swaybar.

Since covid19 is in effect, most of the turbo kit parts are stuck in the USA.... also my carbon fiber hood is stuck in Malaysia...

I've decided to go with a Haltech Elite 1000 with basic wiring harness to make the magic happen. Found a tuning shop in my province that dyno tunes Haltech hardware.

The tuning map will have to be done from scratch since there are no other j20b engines getting this kind of treatment.

Spoke to a tuner at a Haltech authorized tuning shop in my province and since the j20b is an oddball engine, he wanted to know a few things.

How many cam sensors does the j20b have? 1 or 2? I know it has 1 cam position sensor but how many cam sensors (intake, exhaust) or just intake sensor cam?.

He also wanted to know the max advance ignition timing for the j20b. According to the shop manual 5 - 15 degrees so I'm assuming 15 degrees is the max?

What are the trigger wheels on both cams and crank shaft?

He told me that if the intake cam sensor is similar to the one found in the M16A engine, the tune will be much easier to do.

Thanks for your input
    Last edited by Samus; April 17th, 2020 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samus View Post
    Spoke to a tuner at a Haltech authorized tuning shop in my province and since the j20b is an oddball engine, he wanted to know a few things.

How many cam sensors does the j20b have? 1 or 2? I know it has 1 cam position sensor but how many cam sensors (intake, exhaust) or just intake sensor cam?.

He also wanted to know the max advance ignition timing for the j20b. According to the shop manual 5 - 15 degrees so I'm assuming 15 degrees is the max?

What are the trigger wheels on both cams and crank shaft?

He told me that if the intake cam sensor is similar to the one found in the M16A engine, the tune will be much easier to do.

Thanks for your input
    Haven't been on here in a long time and just wanted to say wow! This thing has came a long way since i last checked in. Did you ever find anymore info out about the engine specifics on tuning? Ever since i first got my sx4 i have thought about how nice it would be to go to a standalone but the daunting process of doing it on an untested platform has been the main issue keeping me from going down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by JStills89 View Post
    Haven't been on here in a long time and just wanted to say wow! This thing has came a long way since i last checked in. Did you ever find anymore info out about the engine specifics on tuning? Ever since i first got my sx4 i have thought about how nice it would be to go to a standalone but the daunting process of doing it on an untested platform has been the main issue keeping me from going down that road.
    Thanks. I dont have all the info but a tuner with an oscilloscope can help with most of that.

It's more the vvt system in the newer j20b engine that has me a little stumped. It starts at around 4000-4500rpm and I'm pretty sure it's intake only and not exhaust. I only found 1 cam position sensor and 1 cam sensor. My tuner told me if the cam sensor is like the one on the M16A engine, then he can do anything.

I've ordered a couple more parts :
    WRC spoiler along with a carbon fiber vented hood.
    Aluminium 2 row radiator with a Greddy breather tank.
    Genuine Tial QR black edition Bov.
    Techna fit as brake lines with rear stop tech pads and rotors. Front will be evo x brembos.
    In channel wind deflectors for my windows.

Missing :
    255lph fuel pump (still looking for the best way to cut under the back seats without having to drop the rear end)

Various v-clamps, oil lines, oil sensors.
    New clutch along with a stainless steel clutch line.
    Missing an external oil pump for my transmission oil cooler setup.
    Will be adapting a Subaru wrx pitch mount as a 5th engine mount.

Stay tuned!