Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: More mods for the beast :)

Not sure what length you will need but you can take a piece of string run it along the belt that's there but bypassing the AC compressor that will get you a length close to the belt length you need.

Are you sure you can bypass the compressor? Looking at the belt routing of the J24B engine (same as J20B) coming off the WP pulley and going right to the crank damper puts the belt pretty close to the tensioner and the area of the belt that wraps the tensioner.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/3g-2006...belt-j24b.html (second post pic)

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    Not sure what length you will need but you can take a piece of string run it along the belt that's there but bypassing the AC compressor that will get you a length close to the belt length you need.

Are you sure you can bypass the compressor? Looking at the belt routing of the J24B engine (same as J20B) coming off the WP pulley and going right to the crank damper puts the belt pretty close to the tensioner and the area of the belt that wraps the tensioner.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/3g-2006...belt-j24b.html (second post pic)
    Thats the thing.... I'm not sure a j20b can have the A/C pulley by-passed after checking the diagram... don't want to risk it either but since I'm not using it might as well remove a little load off the engine.
    AWD 2013. CVT. Custom SRI w/Apollo, RRM Crank Pulley, RRM piggyback ecu, Custom 2.25 Flowmaster exhaust, RRM Front/Rear Swaybars, UR Rear Strut bar, Megan Racing Coilovers, Techna-fit brake lines, A118 Dashcam, More coming...

Try this, grab a rectangular piece of cardboard place it where the belt just start to come away from the wp pulley straight to the damper where the belt just starts to wrap it (bypassing ac pulley). Measure that distance and subtract from the length of the oe belt and you'll have the shorter belt length.

When u place the cardboard piece up there u can also see how close it gets to the belt around the tensioner, I would say 1/2" gap or more u should be ok less than that u might run the risk of the belts touching when engine is running.

Let us know what u find out, isn't modding fun????

Tony

Rock auto shows stock belt is 80.5" long, a belt that bypasses AC is 78.5", however I don't trust their listing when it comes to the J20B engine.

For the Vitara with the J24B engine belt length shows 80.5" but they don't show a belt that bypasses AC.

Measure it and let us know.

I found a Gates belt to by-pass the ac compressor. It would be part number : 6PK1995.

https://beltpalace.com/6pk1995.html
    Last edited by Samus; Yesterday at 07:07 AM.
    AWD 2013. CVT. Custom SRI w/Apollo, RRM Crank Pulley, RRM piggyback ecu, Custom 2.25 Flowmaster exhaust, RRM Front/Rear Swaybars, UR Rear Strut bar, Megan Racing Coilovers, Techna-fit brake lines, A118 Dashcam, More coming...

1995mm = 78.54"

It should work, install it and let us know (Rock Auto might have something right for once on the J20B engine).

Apparently all north american j20bs had ac units. Some other j20bs from other parts of the world have none. I will try the belt and let you guys know.

I'm showing my age by saying AC is King in my books, my last car with no ac was my 1985 Honda Prelude bought new. Every car I've bought since has air and would never go back.

When it's not running drag on the engine is slim to none but if your compressor is not working or clutch seized and u don't want to repair then it makes sense to bypass it.

Lose some weight and yank it out of there if u r sure you don't care about having AC.