Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio LED dimming

Radio LED dimming

Some LED segments on my OEM radio/DVD (2012) are going dim, probably failing.
    Is it worthwhile to fix this, or are 2012 OEM radios so cheap it's best to just replace?

I can't imagine it would be worth it to try to fix it. You might consider upgrading to an android full-screen head unit.
    2008 sx4 awd auto hatch touring

Quote Originally Posted by sx4mouse View Post
    I can't imagine it would be worth it to try to fix it. You might consider upgrading to an android full-screen head unit.
    Non-standard "radios" usually reduce vehicle resale value.

What's a used but "like new" 2012 OEM radio/DVD going for?

Radio in my 2011 did the same thing at 35K. Started only going dim when it was warm, now it's all the time.

I tried getting another OEM unit from eBay, but it had the same issue.

I figured I'd either have to live with it, or get an aftermarket unit.

If someone has a fix for the OEM unit I would like to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem but only on the left side of my radio. The right side is good, the left side is dim. Doesn't bother me that much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalos View Post
    Non-standard "radios" usually reduce vehicle resale value.

What's a used but "like new" 2012 OEM radio/DVD going for?

What country does this happen in ?
    NADA and Banksters in Corporate States of America give more loan value to after market blue tooth / hands free radios !

The electrical system in these cars are temperamental. I had a cheesy cell charger that would cycle the rear window wiper every time i plugged it into the car. It would cycle once and stop. I got rid of the charger and it never happened again. I also had some of those LED lights in the rear bumper and when they went bad it caused display problems with my radio. I took them out and it returned to normal. Have you modified anything electrical?
    2012 Crossover CVT: De-Badged/RRM pully/Projector Headlights/30% tint/KN Drop In/Fog Lights/SGcarstyling spoiler

Amazon does have stock replacement head units as well as upgrades. The upgraded one I got from China from eBay won't play CD or DVD discs because they won't fully go in all the way.

The oem units may be a safer bet.

I have two units so far that have had this problem. One started at 40k and the other came out of a 25k car and already had the tell-tale signs that it too was terminally ill. Basically, I have a working spare that I'm willing to dig into and see if I can discover a fix. I'm handy with a meter and a soldering iron, any suggestions as to what I should look for? Perhaps I can discover a fix and share it here on the forum!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by always_shifting View Post
    I have two units so far that have had this problem. One started at 40k and the other came out of a 25k car and already had the tell-tale signs that it too was terminally ill. Basically, I have a working spare that I'm willing to dig into and see if I can discover a fix. I'm handy with a meter and a soldering iron, any suggestions as to what I should look for? Perhaps I can discover a fix and share it here on the forum!
    Could be anything along the path from the LED driver circuitry to the LED assembly. If we're lucky, the problem is corroded connectors. So, if there are connectors between the "circuit board" and the "LED display assembly," wiggle, unplug, and (re)plug a couple of times to see if that changes the brightness of the LED segments. You might try spraying some "freeze" on the Display assembly and on the electronics next to the connectors that go between the circuit board and the LED Display Assembly.
    A problem more specific than that will require knowledge of the circuitry schematic.