Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio LED dimming

Well, my radio LED display is just about completely gone now. Only faint digits visible, only on cold mornings.

I'm looking to buy new or lightly used replacement radio for a 2012 SX3. (Must have Aux jack).
    By "lightly used" I mean fully functional and no scratches.

Does anyone have a unit to sell?

The "LED" display is actually a Liquid Crystal Display with a red backlight. It is set up from what I can see so that all segments are on / dark and are turned off / clear to show the numbers with the lighted background showing through.
    Unfortunately an LCD is not good in extreme heat or cold and failure or age is shown by segments that do not trigger correctly, staying dark when they should go light or light when they should go dark. I'm sure you have seen an LCD clock or thermometer with missing segments. It could be the physical connection between the glass display and the contact it makes with its cable or socket. If it's the connection, it's pretty much impossible to fix.

My 2010 has the same problem, by the way, mostly on the right side of the display.
    Last edited by DavidMcC; September 20th, 2016 at 02:32 AM.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

-};>~

Radio LCD Malfunction

Yes, you're right. It is an LCD with red (LED) backlight.

It's interesting that turning on the radio "fixes" some LCD segments but appears to mess up others.

The unit is certainly not worth repairing unless the problem was known and easily correctable.

How much should I pay for a good, used unit? How much will an OEM unit from a Suzuki "dealer" cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalos View Post
    Well, my radio LED display is just about completely gone now. Only faint digits visible, only on cold mornings.

I'm looking to buy new or lightly used replacement radio for a 2012 SX3. (Must have Aux jack).
    By "lightly used" I mean fully functional and no scratches.

Does anyone have a unit to sell?
    I have seen other sx4's with this issue I think all of the factory radios will do this eventually. If you want to go aftermarket all you need is single or double din radio mounting adapter, steering wheel controls interface, and radio wiring harness. You will also need to power the factory amplifier if equip with one.

Here is an aftermarket double din radio with aux and usb.

You will need these parts which are like $60 on Ebay.

So today I took apart the radio on my 2012 SX4 to see if there was any way to perhaps fix it. I could not find a way to take the LCD out. I was able to find a service manual on the internet for the radio though. If you would like to see it, I can email the pdf to you. I tried attaching it on my post but the file is slightly larger than the 5mb limit.