Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 6 speed fill and drain plugs

Quote Originally Posted by highmileage View Post
    If you jacked the car on an incline, let the car down and let excess fluid run out of the fill hole
    I almost forgot to do this. I was wondering how about about 2.8 L went into the hole.

Highmileage mentions that you should be careful about opening the 6MT drain bolt. I took this to heart and used a folded over aluminum foil dam put over that crossmember. After all the lube drained I was able to just remove the foil dam and discard it.

sx4 6mt dam.jpg

I did validate the sizes of the gasket washers I listed in post #8 above.
    Last edited by DennisN; September 13th, 2021 at 08:13 AM.
    Feline mechanics Maggie the moggie and Duke
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 2018 ND Miata

Loosen the fill bolt (don't remove yet), remove the drain bolt and let it drain for like 20-30 secs. now remove the fill bolt and the oil will never come out quick and fast enough to touch the crossmember.

Yeah I do that on motor oil changes: take out the drain plug before taking off the large fill plug. For motor oil there's not much chance of the fill opening plug not wanting to come off.

Just a follow up note. After a month I find I'm pleased with the Redline MTL as a tranny lube. Shifting is somewhat improved. My mileage has increased from around 25 mpg to around 26 mpg. That may be just statistical noise, but this time of year mileage tends to go down with the extra seasonal ethanol added.