Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SX4 Roof Bars

Isn't the conduit too weak structurally to support anything? It's just meant for wire routing protection, no?

Might be better off with some DOM tubing.

I am not in the least bit worried. These things are way stronger than the Rav4 cross bars I originally installed at the beginning of this thread.

I thought I would add this version of the roof rack to the post.

This is the lowest profile roof basket setup you will find for your SX4. It makes no wind noise and all mounting is tight and secure.

Last edited by josh_sx4; February 14th, 2019 at 09:06 PM.

Hopefully this is my last version for a roof rack (I think that's 4 versions now)

This new one uses cross bars from a Lincoln Navigator. I had to get 3 cross bars and cut a segment out of one and extend it a couple inches. My goal was to get it lower so that my new attachment setup on my Roof Top Tent would work. Overall its the same idea as the others, just lower and below the the rail profile. The Lincoln Navigator bars have a slight bow which matches the roof contour nicely.

I thought with the thinner blade style cross bar I would not get any wind noise.. but I was wrong. I need to put the fairing back up there now

Added a wind fairing

Wind noise must be luck rather than design. I have a really crude setup with 2 X 25mm steel bars and some plywood and I only get noise when using ratchet straps. I don't notice much difference in fuel use so it sits on the roof almost full time.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    Wind noise must be luck rather than design. I have a really crude setup with 2 X 25mm steel bars and some plywood and I only get noise when using ratchet straps. I don't notice much difference in fuel use so it sits on the roof almost full time.
    Interesting, I have owned 3 different SX4's. The wind noise has always occurred when going over 60mph with any roof bar configuration. I have tried 5 different cross bars across the 3 different SX4's. I have tried flat, round, square, and oval tubing. Even the factory cross bars created wind noise. The only solution was to get a wind fairing.

Hello,

Interested in these if you still have them for sale.

Steve George
    Nashville