Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SX4 Roof Bars

Quote Originally Posted by airguard View Post
    I have a 2008 and it fits.
    I was lucky they sent me the wrong rack and didn't want it back. It had the same cross bars but longer, so I had the cut them shorter.
    Check your measurements.
    Go to eBay and search this number 390831755796.
    If the measurements are correct that's that rack you want.
    Hope that helps.
    Thanks so much! I'll check it out!

i bought a set of these from ikon motorsports and one bar has much more curve to it then the other i will have to contact them about it

[QUOTE=josh_sx4;107069]To build this rack use closed (no holes) strut (home depot), 1 inch Conduit (home depot) wrapped with 1 inch shrink tube (ebay) , kayak style tie downs (ebay), the 38 inch wind fairing by Rhino-rack (ebay), and two Rav4 roof bars (ebay).

First you must fit the Rav4 roof to the Stock SX4 rails. Instructions to do this are easy and shown earlier in this post. With this setup the Rav4 roof bars need to move back or forward and mount onto the stock SX4 plastic rail covers. Pretty much flush with the line where metal meets plastic on the Stock SX4 roof rail and tighten them down. Be care not to overtighten and break the plastic on the Rav4 roof bars. If you do snap one, dont worry, take off the plastic piece and use pliers to finish tightening the metal T-bolt down and then use gasket seal to glue the broken piece back on for cosmetics (as you can tell, I did this). With the Rav4 roof rails in place you will have a square, these measurements will determine the rest of the roof rack build.

The strut was cut to size with the ends being notched out about 1/4- 1/2 inch deep on each strut end to custom fit against the side of the Rav4 roof bar. This was the most difficult part. It is important to have edges at the top and bottom of the strut at least 1/4 inch longer to help fit against the RAV4 roof bars as this will be the only thing that secures the roof rack from coming off.

Once you get the strut bars custom fitted, slide the Rav4 bars in to wedge and suspend the bar in the air. Notice the strut bars fit flat against the lateral running SX4 stock roof rails

With both strut bars suspended, make your conduit measurements. My rack uses 5 conduit bars evenly spaced and also 2-3 inches in from the Rav4 roof bars.

Now remove the suspended strut bar and paint the Strut pieces black

The electrical conduit was cut to size, but you must realize each conduit piece is a different length. The stock lateral running roof rails taper and get closer together as the run toward the back of the car.

Once the conduit is cut to size, number them from 1-5 as to not get them mixed up. Now put the shrink wrap on the conduit.

The electrical conduit is attached to the strut using a single bolt and nut. drill from the bottom of the strut through each conduit piece. Use the bolt and nut to secure the conduit to the strut.

With the strut pieces and conduit pieces assembled and painted you are ready to test fit the roof rack.

Move the Rav4 bars out to allow the rack to fit, then move the rav4 bars back in to once again suspend the roof rack in the air.

With the roof rack suspended and all components tight, drill a pilot hole into the plastic of the Rav4 bar straight through and into the stock SX4 roof rail. Use a larger drill bit to bore out the top of the hole. This will allow you to flush in the long black screw. Now use a long black screw and screw it in. These black srews will keep the RAV4 bars from sliding. You will need to put one screw into all 4 Rav4 plastic pieces. I drilled mine on the side where the strut touches the Rav4 plastic.

With the roof rack secure you can now add the wind fairing. You will need a wing fairing to cut down on the noise. Don't over tighten the wind fairing mounts.

You are now free to add tie downs if you want them.

If you click on the pictures below it will take you to photobucket where you can zoom in and see details, like the black screw head flushed into the rav4 plastic.

[/QUOTE

How is the wind noise with this set up?? Nice job!

There is no wind noise with this setup. It is awesome. The wind fairing removes all noise

Ebay is out of stock.

Amazon have one, it looks like its an identical pictures.

Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5ONNZV..._3i3Qzb6PRQEFW

stock '07 SX4 hatch auto
    LED's
    07/AT/inprogress

I just did a search on eBay and there were 6 listings on the first page

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111204366280

2013-2017 Toyota RAV4 Aluminum Roof Top Adjustable Rack Cross Bar Black

i was not impressed by the rav 4 style they were creeky and flexed way too much under my 2 kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by josh_sx4 View Post
    I just did a search on eBay and there were 6 listings on the first page

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111204366280

2013-2017 Toyota RAV4 Aluminum Roof Top Adjustable Rack Cross Bar Black

I wasn't impress much either. They broke when I got into my roof top tent

Well I welded a new roof bar system for my wifes SX4 from some 1in conduit, simson metal brackets, some filler putty, and hammered black paint.

I wanted a really low profile bike rack system with a 44in stance and a fairing.. easier said than done, but I think it turned out good. The mounting points are sandwiched under the OEM plastic end mounts - bolted on under the footings.

Last edited by josh_sx4; September 7th, 2017 at 10:06 AM.