Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Die Trying's post-SX4 Ford Fiesta ST thread.

Die Trying's post-SX4 Ford Fiesta ST thread.

As many of you know my SX4 was totaled recently due to hail damage it received this past summer. Since then I have used the payout to put a large down payment on a 2015 Ford Fiesta ST. I should take possession in January but until then I can at least tell you a bit about it. I thought long and hard about a few different colors and options but I decided on the following; Tuxedo black metallic paint for stealth, my sx4 was eye catching but slow, I won't need extra help getting noticed in the ST though. The only options I chose were navigation because I got used to having it in dash and all (3) season Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 tires because it's a dd and I won't ever track it, I will get around to getting snows on steelies when tax returns come in. I passed on the recaros because I have some bigger friends and the recaros reportedly only fit the slight of frame.

I have also been selling parts from my sx4 to fund parts for my ST. I was able to hit black Friday sales and got some really great deals. I also put my skills I learned from owning a car with nearly no support and found a part from Malaysia that is a copy of a part sold by Ford's official tuner Mountune, only $300 cheaper! Woohoo! Beside that I got a few things for Xmas and have some that have not arrived yet.

Anyway, here is a list of parts I have or have on order for the ST so far, a lot of which was bought with the help of this community buying my old parts:

Cobb Stage 1 kit ( accessport with preloaded maps, green filter, and rear motor mount)
    Pumaspeed silicone induction hose
    Malaysian Mountune CAI Airbox knock-off
    Boomba Racing short shift plate (20% reduction in throw)
    Steeda Aluminum ST shift knob (taller and heavier than stock)
    Modbargains 3d printed throttle pedal riser (brings pedal level with the other two)
    Rokblokz mudflaps
    OEM ST rubber mats
    OEM sub hatch rubber cargo area liner

I'd take pics but it's just a pile of stuff in my office right now. Ford needs to build my car faster!

Thanks for all the help pulling this together, I won't be going anywhere anytime soon, this forum is like a family. Merry Xmas all!

i did the lowering mod to brake pedal to bring it to throttle pedal level. i imagine with 3 pedals having all three on the same pane makes it easier.

you'll miss awd, that is for sure.
    Last edited by midnightsx4; December 25th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.
    How hard can it be?

Eh, my prime reason for wanting awd was for hooning, (kicking the back end out around corners mainly) and the ST has etvc to take care of that. With a good set of winter tires I will never know the difference. I just never really used the awd to it's potential I guess. Still, had it been an option I would have been all over it.

Add another part to the pile. I picked up a Mountune hot side intercooler charge pipe. It replaces the stock pipe which has some sort of resonator in it, the Mountune unit is straight through.

Think about changing the radiator. A friend tracks his ST and kept overheating after just a measily two to three laps around. Some spirited driving in a high temp location could possibly provide the same results. It's obviously a design flaw as thr Focus ST doesn't overheat at all.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

There aren't any radiators that fit right now. I have looked into it since the first time you mentioned them overheating at the track. The factory intercooler is subject to heat soak really bad and doesn't cool back down quickly. Replacing the intercooler with a more efficient one solves that problem. Some of the other tricks are drilling out the blocked lower half of the upper grille and swapping the front crash bar for a euro spec as the US spec blocks airflow. I won't mess with the crash bar but I will drill out the plastic that blocks the lower half of the upper grille and an intercooler will come next but since I won't be tracking the car it shouldn't be an issue for me anyway. I just do these mods because I can't help myself. I modify everything, only my wife and kid are stock lol.
    Last edited by Die trying; January 4th, 2015 at 10:37 AM.

i wish there was sensibly priced 2 or 3 core radiator for sx4. ECT figures i observe make me anxious.
    How hard can it be?

Any updates?
    2011 hatchback : K&N Apollo air intake, RRM lightweight pulley, RRM rear sway bar, RRM piggyback, 2.25'' custom exhaust, Eibach Pro-Kitl

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post
    i wish there was sensibly priced 2 or 3 core radiator for sx4. ECT figures i observe make me anxious.
    I think it's the thermostat's fault to be honest. Are you running the stock t-stat? I'd switch to a colder t-stat before upgrading the cooling system. In my opinion the SX4 runs on the verge of being too hot in stock form. I know suzukisport carried a colder t-stat but you can't find them anymore.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    Think about changing the radiator. A friend tracks his ST and kept overheating after just a measily two to three laps around. Some spirited driving in a high temp location could possibly provide the same results. It's obviously a design flaw as thr Focus ST doesn't overheat at all.
    It's most likely a packaging problem. Have you seen how tight the Fiesta's engine bay is compared to the Focus? Perfect recipe for heatsoak.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up