Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Schultzey's Turbo SX4

Broken transfer case bevel gear and bevel pinion

Here are the carnage pics which led to the rebuild of the car. I pulled apart the transfer case to see exactly what broke. The bevel gear and bevel pinion gave out and are pictured below. This is the gear and pinion which transfers the power to the driveshaft.

When the transfer case broke there was a lot of force on the subframe crossmember and nearly snapped it in half.

That is some serious devotion to the project. I love it.
    That is no ordinary engine build. Sleeves, rods and pistons...Awesome!
    Speaking of awesome, have you attempted to find a suitable LSD that fits Sx4 5 speed gearbox?
    The carnage in t-case reminds me of Dana 70HD I had to rebuild. The driver, reasons are still unknown, slammed into P while driving 30-40 MPH, snapping driveshaft, trans output shaft. Ring & pinion had very similar damage to yours.
    Have you sourced parts for t-case ?

Cheers...
    How hard can it be?

Wow that is some damage... the subframe crossmember snapping it shows how much power your car has... also shows weak points to maybe improve in the future.

I wonder if a dogbox transmission and custom gear cuts could be adapted for yours.

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/453...t-ez-2005-2011

AWD 2013. CVT. Custom SRI w/Apollo, RRM Crank Pulley, RRM piggyback ecu, Custom 2.25 Flowmaster exhaust, RRM Front/Rear Swaybars, UR Rear Strut bar, Megan Racing Coilovers, Techna-fit brake lines, A118 Dashcam, More coming...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post
    That is some serious devotion to the project. I love it.
    That is no ordinary engine build. Sleeves, rods and pistons...Awesome!
    Speaking of awesome, have you attempted to find a suitable LSD that fits Sx4 5 speed gearbox?
    The carnage in t-case reminds me of Dana 70HD I had to rebuild. The driver, reasons are still unknown, slammed into P while driving 30-40 MPH, snapping driveshaft, trans output shaft. Ring & pinion had very similar damage to yours.
    Have you sourced parts for t-case ?

Cheers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Samus View Post
    Wow that is some damage... the subframe crossmember snapping it shows how much power your car has... also shows weak points to maybe improve in the future.

I wonder if a dogbox transmission and custom gear cuts could be adapted for yours.

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/453...t-ez-2005-2011

I haven't found a good option yet to upgrade the transmission and transfer case. An LSD would really help put the power down. It would be awesome if there was an LSD from another vehicle that could work in our transmission. The plan right now is to see how much life I can get out of stock parts. Greater discretion in using the AWD controller will be used going forward.

I had looked at the LSDs and other drivetrain components from the Suzuki Swift and corresponded with R's Racing in Japan to get more info about parts compatibility with the SX4. Since the SX4 in the Japanese market is only offered with the 1,500cc engine it didn't sound hopeful that any of the drivetrain components would work. Some of the parts could very well work but I didn't have evidence to justify the purchase of some of these parts to test fit.
    Last edited by Schultzey; February 15th, 2018 at 10:34 AM.

Amazing flickr profile
    SX4 2007 AWD Manual

Quote Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
    Amazing flickr profile
    Thanks

whoa, I think you're going way to big on the engine! the stock internals, which are far from being the strongest out there, are already sturdy enough to chew transmissions, imagine with a bullet proof engine. You will definitely need to look in a transmission swap of some sort, maybe from an SR20? that's the only thing that comes to mind that could handle at least a little bit of power.
    former Suzuki Gold Master Tech