Thread: Anybody has 1.6 engine?, Compression question

Anybody has 1.6 engine?, Compression question

Hello,

I've being following the forum and this is my first question. I just got a SX4 2011 Sedan, MT 1.6 (5 speeds). and the question is about the compression in PSI per cylinder,

Somebody may possibly know which is the right compression for this car?. it has 23,000 Milles, and is about 153 PSI in each cylinder, is this normal for that mileage?

I feel the car smooth and soft but some slow to accelerate from 2nd...

Which is the factory Compression in PSI per Cylinder for this model?, In the manual says something like 10,0:1 but I don't know what are those values

Thank you

That is the compression ratio and it's 11:1 for M16A VVT engine. You are looking for the (absolute) cylinder compression value, which unfortunately I don't know. 153 PSI sounds right to me (over 10 bars).
    However, typical symptoms of cylinder compression loss are loss of power on uphills, oil burning, smoke from the exhaust pipe, unstable idling, overheating, noisy engine and of course poor fuel economy. Your car is low mileage and unless something went terribly wrong with the engine, the compression should be fine.
    If you feel that your car is slow check some other things like ignition timing, fuel injectors etc.

Or you just need to push it more in 1st before you shift to 2nd?
    ʇı ɟo ǝʇnuıɯ ʎɹǝʌǝ ʎoظuǝ ı 'ʎʇıuɐsuı ɯoɹɟ ɹǝɟɟns ʇuop ı

I feel they're slow cars in general. Even my 2.0 feels so slow
    Progress front sway bar, rear sway bar, RRM grip springs, long ram CAI, swt interior CF trim, 2.25 down pipe/cat delete, SS piggy back, U.D. pulley, more coming

Quote Originally Posted by suicide View Post
    I feel they're slow cars in general. Even my 2.0 feels so slow
    Ditto, however, my J20A pulls better in 2nd than it does in any either gear though. It honestly could be how I drive since I'm a bit of a grandpa when it comes to driving...
    Yes, that is, in fact, a Squirrel driving a Ferrari...

Mine (M16A) is "fast" in 3rd above 2000 RPM, the rest is kind of average. 1st is very short, 2nd sluggish and for 4th I rarely have enough road to really push it hard, except on the highway, but then when I reach 120-130 km/h it's reasonable to go to 5th for the fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Balansero View Post
    Mine (M16A) is "fast" in 3rd above 2000 RPM, the rest is kind of average. 1st is very short, 2nd sluggish and for 4th I rarely have enough road to really push it hard, except on the highway, but then when I reach 120-130 km/h it's reasonable to go to 5th for the fuel economy.
    curious, when do you shift into 3rd? how many revs? Mine is rather high-strung (2007 with the high 5th gear) and, given last weekend was the first and only time I've had my car to 85mph, it was at almost 4500 rpm. I doubt I'll be cruising at that speed again...
    Yes, that is, in fact, a Squirrel driving a Ferrari...

Quote Originally Posted by Balansero View Post
    That is the compression ratio and it's 11:1 for M16A VVT engine. You are looking for the (absolute) cylinder compression value, which unfortunately I don't know. 153 PSI sounds right to me (over 10 bars).
    However, typical symptoms of cylinder compression loss are loss of power on uphills, oil burning, smoke from the exhaust pipe, unstable idling, overheating, noisy engine and of course poor fuel economy. Your car is low mileage and unless something went terribly wrong with the engine, the compression should be fine.
    If you feel that your car is slow check some other things like ignition timing, fuel injectors etc.

Or you just need to push it more in 1st before you shift to 2nd?
    Thank you for the information. My car has none of the Symptoms that you mention, the machine is smooth and quiet, is giving me 27m/g, I don't know if this is good, perhaps I just need to push more the 1st as you say

Quote Originally Posted by SX4rocious View Post
    curious, when do you shift into 3rd? how many revs? Mine is rather high-strung (2007 with the high 5th gear) and, given last weekend was the first and only time I've had my car to 85mph, it was at almost 4500 rpm. I doubt I'll be cruising at that speed again...
    Depending on the road (flat, uphill or downhill) and the traffic conditions, it's mainly between 2k and 3K RPM. Around 2K when in relaxed mode on a flat road, but sometimes well over 4K when trying to squeeze out some performance from it. If I remember correctly, at 140 km/h and 5th gear it's around 4000 RPM. Can't say for sure as I am far from home now, without my precious. I know for sure that at 120 km/h it's 3000 RPM and then should be another 500 RPM per each additional 10 km/h - in 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by chorrillano View Post
    Thank you for the information. My car has none of the Symptoms that you mention, the machine is smooth and quiet, is giving me 27m/g, I don't know if this is good, perhaps I just need to push more the 1st as you say
    I find the 1st gear in our cars very short (low geared) and not "overlapping" with the second gear enough. Simply can't catch enough speed for the 2nd to start pulling strongly. I mean in normal driving. Yes you can push 1st very high and a stay there a bit longer but that's not what I call smooth gear change and driving. On the other hand, "lowish" 1st comes really nice for the off road adventures.

it's mainly between 2k and 3K RPM. Around 2K when in relaxed mode on a flat road, but sometimes well over 4K when trying to squeeze out some performance from it
    Same here.
    For a better mileage I shift closer to 2k, but it does not seem to help much. I hear owners of the S-Cross (1.6/120 PS) claim very low fuel consumption figures. This is the only thing I miss on my SX4.
    "dropping a couple of gears to overtake is called driving"