Thread: Will 215/60R16 tires work on my SX4 Crossover on the stock alloy wheels?

In one of the seven historic districts of Lakeland, FL

Question Will 215/60R16 tires work on my SX4 Crossover on the stock alloy wheels?

I bought my 2009 SX4 Crossover Technology FWD/4 speed automatic just before Christmas 2013. The tires that came on the car (Falken Ziex P205/60R16) I suspect are not the original tires that were on it when new, and they look a little thin in the tread department, so I have no doubt I am going to be buying 4 replacements soon. I am considering my options. The present tires look awful skinny to me, and I am wondering if moving up to 215/60R16 tires would work and would provide any advantage. Or does someone else know of another possible, better tire size that will fit on the stock Suzuki alloy wheels that are on my SX4 Crossover? I am fine with the way it handles, drives, and rides in general. There seems to be a wider selection of 215/60R16 tires out there than the 205/60R16 tires that are indicated on the door jamb sticker and that are on the car now. My research online turned up two tires get particularly good ratings in the larger size - Fuzion Touring and Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum -- while reasonably priced, they both have AA WTQGs, and, living in Florida, I have learned to buy tires with an A traction grade (due to rainy roads during the summer months) and an A temperature grade (due to 90-100 degree temperatures in the summer).

Thanks for any advice, ladies and gents ... this is a great site for information AND just plain perusing!

Charlie

I have 215/65R16 with stock wheels and stock suspension

There are many members here who have 215/65/16 tires on stock wheels. I believe that is the largest size on stock wheels without any rubbing or issues.
    2010 sx4 JX AWD

I am running the 215-65-16 Geolander ATS's on mine, had to trim the inner plastic lip is all. the 60 series may not have that problem.

Toby
    2012 SX4 6spd manual, 215-65-16's, 2001 Durango, 1999 Harley Ultra Classic

Definitely expect some rubbing when there's snow and ice in the wheel wells.

In one of the seven historic districts of Lakeland, FL
    Hey, Steven, thanks for the advice. Fortunately for me, there is very little chance of snow and ice build-up here in west central Florida, and I will NEVER venture north into snow country during the winter. I had enough of that stuff to last me a lifetime after living in the Pittsburgh area for 11 years - one reason for my relocation to Florida in 1986! BTW I ended up getting 215/60R16 touring-grade tires (NOT M&S, a summer tread), and I note that ride is actually slightly improved, handling is GREATLY improved, and traction seems better on wet/rainy roads. While living in Pittsburgh, I had a few Subaru AWD "winter beaters," and I will bet the SX4 with AWD can handle snowy hills with aplomb!

Regards,
    Charlie
    2009 SX4 Crossover Technology FWD

Quote Originally Posted by kingsteven18 View Post
    Definitely expect some rubbing when there's snow and ice in the wheel wells.
    215 60 16 on stock suspension? No, no rubbing, impossible. I was lowered and I had 215-50-17 with the sport sedan and it never rubbed. Not even close.

10290639_10152389120712732_1037060617699569442_n.jpg
    Got federal tires couragia ATs on mine!
    Lift kit coming next week!