Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airbag sensor "extended warranty" is now an actual recall

Airbag sensor "extended warranty" is now an actual recall

The problem with defective "sensor mats" in the passenger seat was the cause of an extended warranty service agreement. Now it's been bumped up to an official recall campaign.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-air-bag-issue

Suzuki Motor of America said it is recalling nearly 200,000 cars and SUVs over an air bag defect that could allow the device to deploy even if a child is sitting in the front seat.

The recall covers the 2006-11 Suzuki Grand Vitara compact SUV and 2007-11 Suzuki SX4 passenger cars. It does not include vehicles that have already been fixed under a special coverage problem....

Suzuki distributors will replace the front passenger seat cushion assembly — which includes the sensor mat. Suzuki plans to notify dealers by the end of the month. Due to the limited availability of parts, owners will initially be notified of the recall and asked to make an appointment with their dealer only if their air bag warning light is illuminated.
    Here's another version of the story:

http://www.enewspf.com/latest-news/r...-vehicles.html

It states that the Suzuki recall number is "VD".

Here's info from the NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V405-1325.PDF
    Last edited by DennisN; September 14th, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Feline mechanics Condoleezza Mice and Duke Wayne
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 1996 beater Miata

Thanks for the update.
    The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell.

Only took them almost 7 years... putting 100lb women at risk (because you're an idiot if your small child is in the front seat anyways). Duschebags.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Has anyone that had this work done chime in on about how long it took? The nearest service center for me is over an hour away in a part of BFE that i know nothing about and have to plan a day around it lol.

Thanks for the great post btw
    Techno Blue - lifted

Quote Originally Posted by My1stCar View Post
    Has anyone that had this work done chime in on about how long it took? The nearest service center for me is over an hour away in a part of BFE that i know nothing about and have to plan a day around it lol.

Thanks for the great post btw
    If they have the part it takes about 4 hours but expect a day since some techs love taking their sweet time.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

It's about time!!! Mine always malfunctioned. I always wondered why, when a slight person would sit in the passenger seat, that it would'nt just default to the "On" position. So what if the air bag was armed with a bag of groceries in the passenger seat. If you were to have an accident that deployed the air bags, your car would probably be a total anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    If they have the part it takes about 4 hours but expect a day since some techs love taking their sweet time.
    jesus f you fo' real dood....

Alrighty well that blows thanks
    Techno Blue - lifted

I recall from reading here that originally the owner had to pay $2K for a whole new seat. Then when Suzuki began picking up the tab, they miraculously "invented" just a seat bottom with the sensor pad in it as a "replacement part".
    Feline mechanics Condoleezza Mice and Duke Wayne
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 1996 beater Miata

It's funny since they did fix mine and now it's collecting dust on my storage room.
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Do they just replace a sensor or the entire seat? Either way, ty for the heads up, i wouldnt have probably asked before we went in and then woulda been lost and confused lol
    Techno Blue - lifted