Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airbag sensor "extended warranty" is now an actual recall

Quote Originally Posted by My1stCar View Post
    Do they just replace a sensor or the entire seat? Either way, ty for the heads up, i wouldnt have probably asked before we went in and then woulda been lost and confused lol
    They change the seat bottom. The sensor is integral to the cushion. They reuse the back support section of your seat.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    They change the seat bottom. The sensor is integral to the cushion. They reuse the back support section of your seat.
    Thanks a ton for the info Mr.Turbo!
    Techno Blue - lifted

Any word if Canada is included in this recall?
    Current: 2008 SX4 JLX Hatchback ~ White Pearl ~ MT/iAWD ~
    R.I.P.: 2008 SX4 JX Hatchback ~ Silver ~ MT/iAWD ~

Yes canada is also included, Apparently no incidents where reported, but concidering when compared to other manufacture recalls I havn't heard of many recalls among Suzuki cars.
    PorkChop513

Is this why my 2012 alarms on the dash when I put my 10 lb briefcase on it? My dog sets off the alarm but a briefcase? Must be set for infants in my rig.
    2012 SX4 Crossover black 6 speed tech package. Mods to follow

The sensor pad is probably calibrated for a human butt to spread the weight evenly. The sharp edges of the briefcase may be throwing it off.
    Feline mechanics Condoleezza Mice and Duke Wayne
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 1996 beater Miata

It is set for infants and childreb. The sensor is set to detect even a car seat so a briefcase is not out of the realm of possibilities. A grocery bag triggers it.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    It is set for infants and childreb. The sensor is set to detect even a car seat so a briefcase is not out of the realm of possibilities. A grocery bag triggers it.
    Buckle up that milk brosky, never know if that celery might go flying either!
    Techno Blue - lifted

Hahahaha.

But has anyone recieved the recall notice, and if so how long does it normally take?

I just called my "nearest" Suzuki Service center, and after two phone calls I learned some information.

But first some background information: 2007 AWD Hatch. I have had light come on with a fairly big guy (200~ pounds) in the passenger seat just going down the freeway. This service center is a Volkswagen dealership that services Suzuki and Isuzu, im guessing they sold them there before they had stopped getting them in/deals went poorly and so they got out of that market, but still have warranties to honor. Also its like 1.5 hours away from me.

The first person I talked too asked for my VIN, said that my car had fallen under the vehicles that have been known to have the air bag light issue. He said they would scan my computer to look for the fault code, if it came up as in there they would then replace the part under warranty. What he said they would do it replace/splice a sensor/cable to fix the issue in the seat mat. He said he would check with his Suzuki Tech guy and call me tomorrow to let me know if they had the parts for it, but they might have to order it to fix it.

Call two told me more information about the particular defect, it went something as follows: He told me that the official Suzuki recall hasn't reached their desk yet, and hasn't even gone out yet, and even he was just mostly hearing about it on the radio, news, and internet. So they don't have the parts on hand, and if they would do what man #1 said to do then there is the possibility where I'd come down, scan, leave, order parts, come back - OR, it just wouldn't come up with this faulty code and then I'm out of the trip either way. If they did find the code, they would have to take apart the seat, take a picture of the faulty unit as a record to show Suzuki, then finish their install process of replacing the entire cushion and sensor assembly or adapter or what ever they gotta do. He said Suzuki probably had a thousand or so issues with the light and so the safety people were like "if you're going to replace 1, replace them all." He followed by saying they were still in (some court term here, relegation or something can't remember exactly) with the safety people to work out the official recall lines, and when it ends they would go to the steps of the court with all the news people and make the official announcement and in maybe 2-3 weeks things would start rolling in and they might have the parts on hand to replace them all at that point in time. He suggested I wait 2-3 weeks, call back or wait for the recall notice to come in the mail to me, then maybe head on down.

Quite honestly loved talking to man #1, man #2 though kinda felt like he was trying to convince me not to come down the entire time (sorta like a cars salesman trying to convince you into something, if you know what I mean). So I think I will wait for this to hit me with a letter so i can slap it on his desk and be like yo fix it pl0x.

Your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by My1stCar; September 16th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Techno Blue - lifted