Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Got Hook?

Really wish this thread wasn't ravaged by missing photobucket photos...

Anyone here still following this thread happen to have current photos of their tow hook setup?

Not a bad idea to have with snow coming to many parts, especially for those of us to like to brave the unplowed areas...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Any thoughts on installing a tow loop on each side and connecting them across the front of the bumper with a removable light bracket or "brush guard". I would be very interested in such a set up.
    So last time I got my neighbor to weld my rear cargo basket for me I also got him to weld these up. This is one of my next install items. The brackets are from a jeep wrangler rear bumper [Jeep CHRYSLER OEM 07-16 Wrangler Rear Bumper-Mount Bracket]. The D-rings are rated at 10,000lbs and were $2 a piece on ebay.

I have test fit these and the fit into the front "mouth" area of the sx4 and are long enough to reach back to the metal bumper. I am working on a way to attach them with bolts right now. The nice part is that they will fit over the upper black plastic very custom looking. Stay tuned.

There is no real metal bumper behind plastic cover. There is a 5mph beam designed to absorb impacts. It is not designed for any sort of towing/tugging or otherwise evacuation duties.

If you are after aesthetics, then it would be just fine.
    How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post
    There is no real metal bumper behind plastic cover. There is a 5mph beam designed to absorb impacts. It is not designed for any sort of towing/tugging or otherwise evacuation duties.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but isn't there some sort of actual tow point on the front of the vehicle? For emergency situations?
    Even most vehicles with a weaker unibody and no actual frame horns will have at least one point where you can thread in a towhook or attach a strap and can hold up to tension of being pulled.

There are indeed two tow hooks under the front of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsx4 View Post

Well, heres some aesthetics I guess. They are bolted to the crash bar. I definitely won't be lifting the weight of the vehicle with these. Its just a more convenient hook on point than under the car. The Tow points under the car are only good for a few angles. If you used the factory tow points with the nose down it would put horrible pressure on the front plastic fascia. So, these D-Rings are as good as I could do.

^ Post up some more photos in the light! I think it looks good.

Many current new cars have threaded tow hook holes into the crash beams now, usually straight into the pedestal to the unibody (and behind a port through the bumper fascia). I guess it depends on how/where you mounted yours to the crash beam as to how much they can handle.