Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '14 Subaru Forester

'14 Subaru Forester

…for which the SX4 was traded yesterday, alas. I'll miss it -- was a perfect city car, fun to drive, never missed a beat -- but cargo/passenger capacity was a recurring challenge from early on (moreso than I'd expected), and when the right replacement came along I went for it.

Like the SX4, the Forester feels planted and corners well -- surprising, given its height and ground clearance. The Boxer engine delivers comparably at 170 h.p. with a 6-speed MT. Official MPG is a slight improvement at 22/29, though time will tell on that one. Rear seat legroom is terrific; at 5'11" I have knee room to spare with the front seats all the way back.

Not a fan of the alloys, which (like most factory alloys) are over-styled and will be a relative chore to clean. For the manual transmission I had to sacrifice the panoramic moonroof, which only comes with automatics. MTs get the winter package instead (heated seats, mirrors, etc.) -- not really a winning trade-off in southern California.

In any event, I'll still be around to keep an eye on yas.

2008 Crossover Convenience AWD MT (traded)

MT for a sun roof in So-Cal is quite a trade off. Especially since that sun roof is as big as the hatch on the sx4. It funny how much the interior of the Forester looks like the sx4. We looked at '12 Forester but wife picked the '13 Outback. She really enjoyed the winter package with heated seats here in Ohio. I have racks and a trailer for the sx4 but extra caro room in the vehicle soooo much easier. Best of luck & hope you like your Subi as much as we do.

Thanks for making a logical move with your trad-in.

This is what is expected of you all trading in your cars...not buying BRZs and Genisis Coups...I'm looking at you soslow and B-spec!
    2011 SX4 AWD M/T (SOLD) & 2011 SX4 Sportback M/T(SOLD)

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever you want mate: http://www.jvandike.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnsnownw View Post

This is what is expected of you all trading in your cars...not buying BRZs and Genisis Coups...I'm looking at you soslow and B-spec!
    Why not? I'd buy a BRZ/FR-S in an instant if it weren't for the fact that I'm waiting for a stock turbo version to show its head.
    Last edited by AdR; May 4th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

nice trade!! I L-O-V-E the Forester. If I could justify the extra cost (or find some other excuse..) I would actually trade for one myself. I just can't come up with a good enough reason to part with my '07 with just over 50k in pristine condition. (yet..... ) Does the new Forester come with a turbo version in MT? because that would AAALLLLLMMMMOOOOOSSSSTTTT be enough of an excuse, since ultimatly a STI is my dream car, but alas.... I just isn't big enough.
    Yes, that is, in fact, a Squirrel driving a Ferrari...

Hmm. I had been impressed by the claim of 24 mpg city/32 mpg highway for the 2014 Forester. Now I see that's for the CVT and the MT is rated for 22 city, 29 highway. I probably would have bought a 2010 Forester to replace my 2000 Forester except I didn't really need a vehicle that big and was pissed about the gas mileage going down with that model compared to my 2000. So, that's why I have the SX4, which gets better MPG than it is rated for. Hopefully your new 2014 Forester will be good. I would buy one if I didn't already have my SX4. Maybe in 2021 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by SX4rocious View Post
    Does the new Forester come with a turbo version in MT? because that would AAALLLLLMMMMOOOOOSSSSTTTT be enough of an excuse, since ultimatly a STI is my dream car, but alas.... I just isn't big enough.
    In the USA for 2014 the turbo XT model comes only with the CVT.

Quote Originally Posted by AdR View Post
    Why not? I'd buy a BRZ/FR-S in an instant if it weren't for the fact that I'm waiting for a stock turbo version to show its head.
    It's just a joke from a previous thread.
    2011 SX4 AWD M/T (SOLD) & 2011 SX4 Sportback M/T(SOLD)

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever you want mate: http://www.jvandike.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnsnownw View Post

That's the great thing about SX4's. Some people buy them as fuel efficient city cars, other people buy them as sporty hot-hatches, other people buy them for their soft-roading capability while still retaining great DD efficiency. Many many many cars could potentially replace your SX4 depending on how you use it.

As for the '14 forester, I'm undecided. Seems to just not know what it wants to look like, has no character in the design, much like many new cars. I don't know if it's the stupid new north american towing capacity regulation changes but the towing capacity of 1500lbs is rather pathetic for a car in this class. But you can't argue with the bump in fuel economy without sacrificing speed from the previous models.

I also noticed how incredibly close the interior design is to the SX4. Strangely enough that's the one part I like about the car. No stupid waterfall dashboards, just nice and simple yet ergonomic.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd, '07 Grand Vitara V6, '01 GS500
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
    I also noticed how incredibly close the interior design is to the SX4. Strangely enough that's the one part I like about the car. No stupid waterfall dashboards, just nice and simple yet ergonomic.
    Was a key selling point. On test-driving it I felt strangely "at home."
    2008 Crossover Convenience AWD MT (traded)