Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Filter Relocation.....

Oil Filter Valve Specs

NAPA Gold J20B oil filter specs:
    http://www.nfhconnect.com/Lookup/Par...9584&Brand=NAP

NAPA Gold FL1A Filter Specs:
    http://www.nfhconnect.com/Lookup/Par...7911&Brand=NAP

Bypass pressure of the FL1A is approx. 1/2 that of the J20B...could be a problem.
    Last edited by Ronzuki; December 31st, 2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added info
    2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD
    2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD
    1991 Samurai Soft-Top, 5-Speed, EFI (sold )

I am not sure what to think in regards to the filter element bypass pressures.

With the Napa Gold 7530 having a bypass pressure of 19 PSI, and the Fram equivalent being 14.

With the Napa FL1A equivalent having probably triple the filter media surface area for oil to flow through.... I just can't see how such specifications can be critical. In addition, the Napa FL1A equivalent having a range of 8-11 PSI, and the equivalent Fram PH8A having a bypass of 12.

What is a person to say?

I had the same thought...tons more element surface area, so pressure increase from a "clogging" perspective, not likely to happen or be an issue with the valve releasing pressure and bypassing prematurely. Different brands have varying release pressures...NAPA Gold is a Wix filter and my go to when I run out of Suzuki filters. Donaldson's pressure for their J20B filter is way different than the NAPA and more inline w/ the Fram. Can't find anything published on the OE zuk filter specs.

I have often wondered why the Asian automakers in general got away with such puny filters on so much stuff while the domestic vehicles had comparably massive filters. Even the European vehicles I have worked on typically have much larger filters.

I also wonder how much particulate the filters really actually trap and how clogged up they really get. For example, the owners manual of my Yamaha RX1 snowmobile, which has a modified R1 crotch rocket engine in it, suggests to change the filter every 10,000 miles. That is, in most cases, the life of the machine.

Now more than ever, manufacturers don't want anything to last indefinitely....just long enough to get through warranty periods. Most owners, and dealers for that matter, probably don't even know there's a media filter element inside the Jatco CVTs used in the SX4s and Kizashis. This is in addition to the usual, and useless, metal screen type you find when you remove the pan. This filter is not mentioned anywhere and it is not a filter that the Suzuki dealers ever stocked (as in they never serviced them). A couple people have replaced them in their Kizashis. As I recall it's located behind a cover that one of the cooler lines is attached to. It's like a typical oil filter cartridge. Likely designed to keep the thing alive long enough to clear warranty period/mileage limits yet not designed well enough (large enough?) to last too much longer. Then you're on your own. Pay for another trans or junk the whole thing and buy another vehicle. Either way, manufacturers sell more stuff... be it cars, major assemblies or service to repair.

That sounds like Jatco. I was wondering if they made the CVTs for these cars.

The Ford CD4E transmission also has a filter in it that... well... you can't service unless you disassemble the entire thing. Those transmissions seem to have a reasonably long service life.

But experience tells me that in any automatic transmission--probably a CVT as well--if there is enough debris in it to restrict its flow to the point where it is a problem, the transmission's days were numbered anyway.

I don't blame the manufacturers for doing stuff like this. I blame the consumer. You and I who probably take some pride in OWNING (not leasing it from a bank) a vehicle and taking care of it probably comprise of 1% of the population now. Everyone else is too willing to buy things they don't need with money they don't have to impress people who they really don't like and when they lose their employment, expect the government to take care of them.

So, now people will try to be "green" and buy battery-powered cars that will have a toasted battery in 10 years and have no givo-fuko about the fact that production of each vehicle has an environmental impact. Instead of getting 15 years out of a vehicle, they will get 10. But that's okay because everyone else has something newer you need make sure that you are high class anyway.

Maybe batteries will get cheap enough in the future to where it won't have to get junked out because it needs a $12,000 battery. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    ...So, now people will try to be "green" and buy battery-powered cars...have no givo-fuko about the fact that production of each vehicle has an environmental impact.....
    .Exact......production of each electrical vehicle battery has an environmental impact that erases practically all future alleged environmental savings. IN addition...in most parts of the world, the electricity required to charge the batteries is produced by...burning fossile fuel .....HAHAHA
    2011 sx4 JX AWD CVT 32000km Also drives 2015 KIA Sorento AWD 2.4

When I hear talk of "cheap electric vehicle batteries", I simply think flaming hover boards and Samsung phones....only MUCH bigger explosions and fires.

Same goes for hydrogen vehicles...it takes an enormous amount of electrical energy to produce hydrogen...which as we know by default is made by burning fossil in most instances. But hey the huggers feel better about themselves, so it's all good.