Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Filter Relocation.....

FYI for anyone considering adding a radiator style oil cooler to a car that is daily driven most of the time--you may want to consider some kind of thermostatic bypass. If you are indiscriminately cooling the oil, it's going to take significantly longer to warm up to the temp (~200F) where it provides optimal lubrication. Too far outside that optimal temp (warmer or cooler!) and you are probably doing more harm than good.

I know they make sandwich style adapters with an integrated thermostat for exactly this purpose.
    2009 SX4 - Azure Grey - Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by dmention7 View Post
    FYI for anyone considering adding a radiator style oil cooler to a car that is daily driven most of the time--you may want to consider some kind of thermostatic bypass. If you are indiscriminately cooling the oil, it's going to take significantly longer to warm up to the temp (~200F) where it provides optimal lubrication. Too far outside that optimal temp (warmer or cooler!) and you are probably doing more harm than good.

I know they make sandwich style adapters with an integrated thermostat for exactly this purpose.
    I agree.

More so if you live in colder climate. I live in a hot environment where it's not much of an issue though and the added turbo heats everything pretty quickly.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

I don't know if it's been said, but an adapter made for some old ford 5.0L V8 fits really well. we used to run filters for these fords on our swifts, you can put 1 extra litre of oil with these filters, they are so huge. but they had the same threads and almost the same oring size as suzuki.
    former Suzuki Gold Master Tech

Yes, the Fl-1A Ford filter, a leftover from their disastrous 1961 "6000 mile oil change interval" is huge by our standards. I do not fill up our factory thimble to prime it, but that one I would. BTW it is also available in a shorter length, for Dodge V8's, and a longer one for 429 dump trucks.
    Last edited by Pete the Pirate; April 9th, 2013 at 04:08 PM.

Bump for ideas on remote oil filter relocation on the J20B.

A recent thread simply bringing up the flawed design had me thinking of how great a remote filter kit could be, and through earching I found this thread! Still relevant!

Also saw mention elsewhere of a simple Derale remote kit. I won't be adding a cooler to mine as a bad weather daily driver, but simply want a remote filter so oil changes don't always turn into a 30min wipe up job where you can't even reach all the spilled oil, and have wasted $ in shop towels and cleaner, and still wonder about being able to tell the difference between potential leaking oil, or is it just from oil changes?

By slim chance, anyone have an oil pressure guage on their engine to see if there was measurable pressure drop with one of these remote mount kits? I know this is an issue on certain other engine/cooler combos.
    Last edited by SpeedHoles; December 4th, 2017 at 10:07 PM.

Not that it needs a bump yet, but I think I just read that the Ford FL1A filter will fit on these cars? That means that my big box of Chrysler filters should work on my SX4?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    Not that it needs a bump yet, but I think I just read that the Ford FL1A filter will fit on these cars? That means that my big box of Chrysler filters should work on my SX4?

Might want to verify the bypass valve specs before using.
    I know on certain other engines that is a crucial part of determining compatibility, whether the thread pitch and dia. might be the same or not...

The aforementioned ford filter definitely has the same thread pitch as the Chrysler filters.

Are the bypass valve specs something that is published? It makes me wonder, since some bypass valves are garbage and some are good.

As for something else to consider, Chrysler used the same filter on a boatload of engines over the years. The old 2.2/2.5 engines, the Mitsubishi V6's, the engines in both generation LH cars, the small block V8s, the Jeep 4.0 engine. All are very different engines with very different oiling systems, and they all used the same filter. Dad's John Deere 318 garden tractor with the Onan "B" engine uses the same filter as my Geo Metro, which my Arctic cat snowmobile uses, which the aforementioned Chrysler/Mitsubishi 6G72 also used for the 1987-1990 model years which basically had zero short block changes from 1987-1995 and beyond.

I am going to gamble on it.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
    The aforementioned ford filter definitely has the same thread pitch as the Chrysler filters.

Are the bypass valve specs something that is published? It makes me wonder, since some bypass valves are garbage and some are good.

As for something else to consider, Chrysler used the same filter on a boatload of engines over the years. The old 2.2/2.5 engines, the Mitsubishi V6's, the engines in both generation LH cars, the small block V8s, the Jeep 4.0 engine. All are very different engines with very different oiling systems, and they all used the same filter. Dad's John Deere 318 garden tractor with the Onan "B" engine uses the same filter as my Geo Metro, which my Arctic cat snowmobile uses, which the aforementioned Chrysler/Mitsubishi 6G72 also used for the 1987-1990 model years which basically had zero short block changes from 1987-1995 and beyond.

I am going to gamble on it.

I'm not familiar with any of those, or if they relate to the J20 engine, but just make sure it has an anti drain back valve, since the filter is oriented sideways the oil will drain out of it if it doesn't, and would result in excessive wear and timing chain rattle on cold starts, and make sure it has some sort of bypass valve so it isn't just simply recirculating dirty unfiltered oil. If so, then yeah you're probably good if it physically fits.