Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Daily Toy...

My Daily Toy...

Here's a small presentation of my daily toy - 2010 SX4 HB 1.6 petrol 120bhp 4x4 Bright RED:

- in the 1st month after acquisition (close to a Dacia/Renault Duster - main competitor here in Romania)

- in 2nd year:

- with skid-plates installed:

- 3rd year, with Hapro roof-box in place:
    2010 SX4 1.6 VVT 4x4 GS trim level Bright RED

Cool man, how far away is Transylvania?
    Skid plates look decent, I have to imagine you'll be getting some all terrain tires next?

that is an interesting way for the oil access panel!

Quote Originally Posted by EricDavis621 View Post
    Cool man, how far away is Transylvania?
    Skid plates look decent, I have to imagine you'll be getting some all terrain tires next?
    From Bucharest, Transylvania region starts at 170kms (~110miles):
    Google Maps

Related to the A/T tires, I'm not yet decided on the size (as I'm running on stock suspension): 205/70R15 or 215/60R16. Tires will be Yoko Geolandars...

Quote Originally Posted by achang1 View Post
    that is an interesting way for the oil access panel!
    This is what I initially thought, too. But the service man just removed the whole skid-plate two weeks ago, when I had this year revision; he complained about not having enough access...

Quote Originally Posted by shpeedy View Post
    205/70R15 or 215/60R16. Tires will be Yoko Geolandars...
    You know you can fit 215/65-16's on there right? No rubbing at all at stock height.

Nice.
    I believe the skid plates come in handy on those rock trails

How does SX4 sell compared to Duster there? (BTW, whoever named a car a 'duster'? )
    "dropping a couple of gears to overtake is called driving"

Quote Originally Posted by EricDavis621 View Post
    You know you can fit 215/65-16's on there right? No rubbing at all at stock height.
    I know, I'll include it in my calculations, as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Nice.
    I believe the skid plates come in handy on those rock trails

How does SX4 sell compared to Duster there? (BTW, whoever named a car a 'duster'? )
    Related to the skid-plates, snow (and ice) on the Bucharest roads in the winter was my main concern... Unfortunately, I do not get out of the city as much as I wish, but I like to have the car prepared for the worse.

Related to sales, Duster is best-seller compared to SX4 here in Romania - lots of companies (and state institutions) are buying Dacia in general (and Dusters occasionally) as company cars. SX4s are mainly bought as personal cars.

Related to the name, you could firstly ask Chrysler Corp., afterwards the Marketing Consultants that decided to sell the small romanian off-roader Aro 10 under that name in the UK...

However, the current Duster is a pretty capable off-roader for a low-cost, especially with its diesel engine. Better angles and higher ground clearance are helping him...
    Last edited by shpeedy; April 9th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shpeedy View Post
    Related to the name, you could firstly ask Chrysler Corp., afterwards the Marketing Consultants that decided to sell the small romanian off-roader Aro 10 under that name in the UK...
    This is interesting. Thanks, did not know it.
    I remember AROs but they did not have a name here. Actually, people made fun of them a lot because of extremely poor reliability (our police bought some but those were most often out of order or developed a million rattles and squeks and minor defects).
    http://www.staremsi.malkinia.com/gra...ecia/aro_2.jpg
    Not a good name to build on, I guess Especially that the new Duster is quite a solid piece of car.
    "dropping a couple of gears to overtake is called driving"

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    This is interesting. Thanks, did not know it.
    I remember AROs but they did not have a name here. Actually, people made fun of them a lot because of extremely poor reliability (our police bought some but those were most often out of order or developed a million rattles and squeks and minor defects).
    http://www.staremsi.malkinia.com/gra...ecia/aro_2.jpg
    Not a good name to build on, I guess Especially that the new Duster is quite a solid piece of car.
    Unfortunately, late ARO models were unreliable cars. But the models before 1980 were pretty good; the first model - IMS57 - was handcrafted and based on the russian off-roader GAZ69. In the 1970s a new model appeared - the ARO 24x - with varies bodies and engines. In 1980 the smaller ARO 10 appeared. The 24x and the 10 were produced until the factory was unfortunately shut-down and sold as rusted steel by an unserious "investor"...

A rather comical situation related the company occured in 2002, when the company was in a rather poor situation and the employees took the decision to become sperm donors in order to save their company . This situation even inspired a movie last year - Of Snails and Men.

The Duster was a Plymouth Valiant with a cheaper-than-the-sedan 2 door body sold here from 1970 to about 1975. The Dodge variant was called the Demon. Some strippo Volare's were stickered as Dusters in 1979. Renault bought the name when it owned Chrysler and the Renault Duster is now the cheapest 4X4 sold in Europe and the Middle East. It looks unremarkable, like a small station wagon. Before Chrysler brought the Talbot/Simca and the Mitsubishi Colt to America it had nothing to compete with the Vega, Pinto and Gremlin. They came up with the "Feather Duster", only available with the slant six and three on the floor, no air, no power steering, etc. It's body was made of thinner steel ( like an SX4) and it may have had an aluminum hood (bonnet). I always thought a big motor in one of those would be a fine idea.