Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replace Front Brake Pads

I have a mechanical workshop in Michigan local place. This tutorial is useful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by n45w73 View Post
    my 07 rotors were really seized when I did them last summer ! I make good use of my hammer and my big pry bar !
    I advise to grease the caliper pins too it might save you money in the future !
    On my 08 the rotors have a threaded hole. Insert a bolt and it threads through the rotor to press against the hub. Separates the rotor from the hub without banging.

Use high temp caliper grease instead of wheel bearing grease.

Yes, always remove the slide pin, inspect, clean and lubricate with the caliper grease. Prevents stuck/hanging calipers.
    2008 SX4 Sport (4 Door Sedan) 2.0L I4 EFI / 5 Speed Manual
    32,200 Miles (June 2012) / Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Milton View Post
    On my 08 the rotors have a threaded hole. Insert a bolt and it threads through the rotor to press against the hub. Separates the rotor from the hub without banging.

Use high temp caliper grease instead of wheel bearing grease.

Yes, always remove the slide pin, inspect, clean and lubricate with the caliper grease. Prevents stuck/hanging calipers.
    That only works if the threaded hole is clean enough to get a bolt into. One good crack with a deadblow is all it takes to break rotors free.

Brake lube is subjective. Copper anti seize has always worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CF7 View Post
    top and lower slide pin is different length.. don't put it back wrong.
    Is it true the lower pin has a rubber sleeve on it? The shop manual shows that as do the replacement pins on RockAuto.
    Feline mechanics Maggie the moggie and Duke
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 2018 ND Miata