Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Primitive Racing Front and Rear Skid Plates

Post How To: Install Primitive Racing Front and Rear Skid Plates

Pretty sure this has been done before but thought I'd write it up. You can never have to much info!

Note: Reference Only! You break anything or hurt yourself it's yo fault!

These are the Primitive Racing 3/16 Aluminum Front and Rear Skid Plates which I have changed slightly for easier access and looks but everything still installs the same.
    Front

By fizexsx4 at 2010-12-28

Rear

Lets Begin with the Front!

Optional Step: Jack up or put your car up on ramps and block the rear!. They are not really needed if your car is lifted but especially for the first time it makes life so much easier!

Step 1. Remove the four 10mm bolts as seen in the picture.

Step 2: Remove the two 10mm seen here. (the one in the right of the picture and matching bolt mirrored on the left hand side of the picture)

Hardware Swap

Step 3: Grab your skid plate, bolts and don't forget the the washers, line it all up and tighten it up.

My oil filter access

My oil drain plug access

For rear see next post!
    2007 SX4 JLX Pearl White - RRO Lifted, Sparco Drifted, 215/65/R16s, Trim/Racks Stripped...
    2009 SX4 JLX Vivid Red - Lifted, Hitched, 215/65/R16 General Grabbers, Slotted Rotors, LEDs Everywhere, DMM HIDs, LED Tails, Rally Armour Mud Flaps, Black RR...

Lets do the Rear!

Optional Step: Jack up or put your car up on ramps and block the front!. They are not really needed if your car is lifted but especially for the first time it makes life so much easier!

Step 1: Remove the top two 14mm bolts on the cross member.

Step 2: Remove the two 17mm bolts mounting the rear differential.

Step 3: Align your rear differential skid plate with the mounting holes. This may take a little "motivation" to get it into place! Replace stock hardware to secure.

My cut away for easier rear differential fluid changes.

While I was down there I hit my exhaust with some matte black high temp paint, I think it looks great, almost makes the exhaust disappear down there!

Hope this helps someone!
    2007 SX4 JLX Pearl White - RRO Lifted, Sparco Drifted, 215/65/R16s, Trim/Racks Stripped...
    2009 SX4 JLX Vivid Red - Lifted, Hitched, 215/65/R16 General Grabbers, Slotted Rotors, LEDs Everywhere, DMM HIDs, LED Tails, Rally Armour Mud Flaps, Black RR...

Looks great. Awesome write up! I like that the pictures you took, one could actually see what you are talking about. Most people take pics so close, you cant relate it to anything.. lol.
    2009 Suzuki SX4 5MT iAWD Convenience
    Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow. - James Dean
    My SX4 gas mileage chart

Question:
    Did you repaint the rear skid plate? That looks like a 'Bedliner' paint job. Very neat though.

I had a little problem installing my own Primitive rear skid plate. It was paterned after the 2007 model SX4 and by the time we got to 2009, Suzuki had changed that heavy aluminum cross member, probably making it thicker, because the plate would not fit.
    I had to do a minor modification to the plate before it would go up into place where it belonged.

But the end result really looked good.

The flat black paint on that nasty muffler and tail pipe didn't hurt the looks any either.

I'm just curious though........did Primitive finally put the drain hole in the rear skid plate,
    or did you do that yourself? Mine doesn't have one. If I want to drain my rear differential (again)
    I'll probably cut that hole before I put the plate back on. I think I'll do the black paint thing too.
    That looks nice.

Cheers and thanks for the great write-up!

Shadow

Five time Suzuki Owner: My last Suzuki= a 2009 SX4, X-Over, iAWD, AT, Tinted and striped

Yup thats just truck bed liner (one of my favorite coatings!)...Didn't have to modify mine at all. It is a tight fit but it goes. No the rear access hole is something I added since I didn't want to take it off each time...just drain and flush clean after all done.

After I was forced to modify my own rear skid plate, I took a whole series of pictures and sent them along with a letter to 'Primitive', but never heard a word back from them. That was a real kick in the head!

Since I fully intend to change my rear differential fluid myself, the next time, I will definitely remove that plate, cut that hole and apply the black paint (maybe bedliner). I also want to do the whole Underside of my car with BedLiner. It should make it somewhat quieter. Eh?

Five time Suzuki Owner: My last Suzuki= a 2009 SX4, X-Over, iAWD, AT, Tinted and striped

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    After I was forced to modify my own rear skid plate, I took a whole series of pictures and sent them along with a letter to 'Primitive', but never heard a word back from them. That was a real kick in the head!

Since I fully intend to change my rear differential fluid myself, the next time, I will definitely remove that plate, cut that hole and apply the black paint (maybe bedliner). I also want to do the whole Underside of my car with BedLiner. It should make it somewhat quieter. Eh?

Who knows maybe your information made it into the current versions (hence why I didn't have to cut it!) So I'll say thanks for thinking of the rest of us!

Yeah I plan to do the underside of my car in summer...I notice my 2009 body was undercoated with a black rubber like coating front to back and I swear is quieter inside (I'll get my db meter and measure that one of these days), but for some reason my 2007 isn't. It's just painted white, so I'll have to remove the exhaust (and a few other things) and get in there with some liner/sound dampening.

I just hope that not many guys had the same problem I had mounting that rear skid plate, before the pattern for the plate got changed.
    The mod to make it work was really a small one, that is, for anyone with metal working tools.
    I'm just wishing now, that the original pattern had included a drain hole. To me, that would seem like a natural.
    I got my rear diff oil changed by my dealer and the very next day I put on the rear skid plate.

With spray cans, can't you put on the bedliner (undercoating) to the underside of the car without taking anything off?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

With spray cans, can't you put on the bedliner (undercoating) to the underside of the car without taking anything off?

Yup you can but I plan on spraying the exhaust with some high temp flat black :-)

It looks, from the pictures, like the OEM plastic dust shield thingy stays in place. I had assumed that the Primitive front skid plate replaced the plastic bits. Assuming the plastic thingy stays, are there bumps attached to the skid plate on the top, around the bolt holes that go up into the bolt cavities of the plastic thingy? I am just wondering how the metal skid plate can be solidly attached if the bumps and ridges of the plastic thingy are between the skid plate and the car's mounting surfaces.
    2009 AWD Hatchback, 5 speed, Tech Package, trailer hitch, Lifted, big tires, skid plates
    Others: 2002 Mustang GT Convertable (My fair weather ride) 2002 MR2 Spyder (Wife's ride)
    1947 Stinson 108-2 Airplane (My retirement flyer)