Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, OK..... I was wrong

OK, OK..... I was wrong

I happened upon a Subaru BRZ last night on the drive home from work. I freely admit I was wrong about it.... IT'S FLIPPIN BEAUTIFUL!! I was extremely impressed by it's body lines. I still stand firm that I'm not really a fan of the Scion version (yeah yeah, I know they're the same car!!) but I like the Subaru version. The Pearl-ish white paint is a GREAT color too.

I do have one concern tho.... We were both doing about 65mph down the highway, (checking out each other's rides.... it was pretty cool he was actually giving my Zuki props!!) and you could actually see ow rough the ride was. The car seemed to be bouncing all over the place. Has anyone driven one of these? Is the ride really that rough, or did it just look that way? I've passed modified corvettes and Porsches on the highway that didn't seem that rough... Just curious, it's not like they'll ever make one I can fit my wife and 2 kids in anyway.....
    Yes, that is, in fact, a Squirrel driving a Ferrari...

I have to say I like the front of the Scion better & the rear of the Subby. I am also surprised that Subaru didn't go AWD.

Toby
    2012 SX4 6spd manual, 215-65-16's, 2001 Durango, 1999 Harley Ultra Classic

They went for grassroots sports car. Sporty agile and oversteer when u want. I've been considering the brz for a second car but want to see it boosted.

I thought the front facia of the Scion was a bit to "girly" personally. I still don't understand why the didn't just leave it a Toyota like EU has. A $30K+ "grassroots" sportscar kinda ruins Scion's cheap, but reliable goal, and no mechanical AWD system is pretty much against everything Subaru was based on. 30 grand ain't to shabby for a good Toyota, but I'll NEVER spend that on a Scion. Just doesn't work for me..... But I still did like the looks of the Subaru!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by twistedcherokee View Post
    I have to say I like the front of the Scion better & the rear of the Subby. I am also surprised that Subaru didn't go AWD.

Toby
    It can't go awd as the boxer engine was dropped really low with the help of NOT having a front driveline. That just tells you how low the center of gravity of that car is.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

I have driven a couple of them now and they are not very rough they just hug the road. They are very under powered but the handling is great. I would wait for a turbo version that will be released in the coming year. They are going to bring a turbo version over due to the overwhelming demand by thousands of people so I have been told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezy View Post
    Mind read it not type. Lol either way it is far more reliable that any mhi turbos all I used to run they were didn't left and right and I had pressure feed on oil O well dsm's Past.

Friend bought one on release, loves it. He actually races it on the track, but it is a daily driver. I think the racing is HPDE, or something.

The idea for RWD only was lower center of the gravity, lighter weight, and if you look at the BRZ it has about 230hp and doesn't weigh much, hugs the road and handles far better than cars like the ford focus ST.

Besides, subaru already makes a WRX and WRX STi, which apparently the BRZ isn't replacing, just complementing in the lineup.
    2008 SX4 Crossover Touring 4AT
    2013 SX4 Crossover Tech 6MT | Upgraded lighting on the cheap...Not a stock light or bulb left in the car |

isn't this the only Subie NOT AWD? I always thought that was part of their marketing.....

So how was the build quality? I'm trying to figure out how they justify nearly 30 G's for such a small car when you can get a Hyundai Genisis coupe, Nissan 370Z, or Altima coupe (although not RWD), Honda S2000 (no back seat), or even a pretty well equiped WRX for the same money. Is it all hype? once again, just curious as I can't fit the kiddos in one so I can't have one..... OH, and I read that the Scirocco is coming accross the pond. I wonder if that'll be a hit.
    Last edited by SX4rocious; February 10th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.

The BRZ is running around 26-27k here in Colorado, which isn't bad, but not great either. It's a fun little car, esp with the 6sp. I would totally have one if I didn't need/want AWD sometimes and if I didn't have doggies. Yes, it is lacking some power, so hopefully the factory turbo edition will help remedy that. Top Gear named it their car of 2012(Ok, it was the GT86), and they have the run of everything fast/exotic/uber-expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SX4rocious View Post
    isn't this the only Subie NOT AWD? I always thought that was part of their marketing.....

So how was the build quality? I'm trying to figure out how they justify nearly 30 G's for such a small car when you can get a Hyundai Genisis coupe, Nissan 370Z, or Altima coupe (although not RWD), Honda S2000 (no back seat), or even a pretty well equiped WRX for the same money. Is it all hype? once again, just curious as I can't fit the kiddos in one so I can't have one..... OH, and I read that the Scirocco is coming accross the pond. I wonder if that'll be a hit.
    Yes it is all hype. I am a huge Subaru Fan and I won't be buying one after driving it. There is a lot more to a car then handling. The 200 HP 2.0 is not going to cut it for passing power on a narrow 2 lane road which I drive on a daily basis. I could care less how it sticks to the road because what good is that when the cars that don't stick to the road pass you on the straight away.. It is an over priced trend right now and I would wait a couple years for the refined models to come out and also the turbo version. After that I might take another look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezy View Post
    Mind read it not type. Lol either way it is far more reliable that any mhi turbos all I used to run they were didn't left and right and I had pressure feed on oil O well dsm's Past.