Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SX4 locked me out

SX4 locked me out

This is a little weird. My SX4 (2007, AWD, 5 spd) sat in a ski-area parking lot for three days, temperatures from -6C to -10C. I unlocked the car, got in and started the engine -- no problem. Then I got out to brush snow off, and while I was doing that all the doors locked on me. Now I'm outside the car, the doors are locked, the keys are in the ignition and the engine is running. Fortunately, my wife then showed up with her keys -- which would not electronically open the doors. I used the key to manually unlock the driver door -- and we escaped.

Then I started to think -- what if I'd been alone? Break the window? That was yesterday morning -- now back in Vancouver with temps about +3C, and no repeat of the problem.

Anyone else have this one happen? Anyone know what the fix is? I'm a little nervous now; think I might get another key made.

My 2012 does something simular. You hit the button to unlock the doors and if you do not open them in a certain amount of time, they will relock.
    2012 Mazda3 Touring Skyactiv-G

my07 will relock when unlocked from the keyfob

Does seem weird...I know that when you unlock using the keyfob, if you do not open the driver's door within a few minutes it will relock...but that does not sound like your situation, UNLESS you HAPPENED to get into the passenger side to start the car and got out the same way. Possible?

Similar issues were discussed here a few days ago
    http://clubsx4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4669

I always roll a window down if I'm getting out with the motor running. And that's in any modern car.
    Feline mechanics Condoleezza Mice and Duke Wayne
    2011 SX4 Crossover, 1996 beater Miata, 2000 Porsche Boxster

Quote Originally Posted by DennisN View Post
    I always roll a window down if I'm getting out with the motor running. And that's in any modern car.
    Good idea.

I'm aware of that little re-locking feature that kicks in if you wait too long to open a door -- it drove me nuts and almost sparked a divorce until I realized what was going on. Who's idea was it to program that feature into the key fob?

But that's not what happened here. I went out to the car, clicked the button twice to unlock everything, opened the hatch to get the snow brush out, closed the hatch. Brushed a little snow off the driver door, opened driver door and got in, and started the car. Then I got out, shut the door, and continued sweeping snow off. That's when it re-locked itself, although I didn't realize it had happened until my wife came out and couldn't open a door.

I wonder if the cold temperatures did something -- but hell, -9C is not that cold. If it was -40 maybe. I will be phoning Suzuki dealer tomorrow to ask the question. There has been no repeat of this problem, but I am going to get another key cut.

this happened to a friend of mine who owns a chevy trailblazer
    2012 Suzuki sx4 crossover Azure Gray Metallic

The exact same thing happened to me at a "Do It Yourself" carwash 20 years ago in a Mustang with Viper alarm.
    Ever since then I've carried a key in my wallet for every vehicle I've owned. Cheap insurance.
    '08 Silver AWD Crossover AT with a few doo-dads

Never happened to me with the SX4, but some 6 years ago I locked my previous car with the key in and lights and CD on (engine not running though) by just slamming the driver side door. The impact caused central locking to activate as if I pressed the lock key from inside the car. I had to run home and get the spare key before somebody left in my car.

And yeah, that was in winter, about -10 Centigrade then.
    "dropping a couple of gears to overtake is called driving"