Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend got a Geo Tracker

Girlfriend got a Geo Tracker

1997 Geo tracker two door convertible 5 speed manual.

anyone else tinker with these?

it has a very rough idle on start up then idles fine once warm. it also needs new front axles. other than that, solid vehicle.

Generically, try to tighten the intake manifold to the head. If they are loose it won't take much. If they are already tight, be careful, they can break off easily.
    Last edited by Pete the Pirate; September 24th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

idle controll vaulve

I miss mine! I would go for the idle control first, then look at the manifold while you're tinkering. Even when mine was warm, when the manifold got loose it would die at idle sometimes. Those little guys will run forever if well maintained. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to check your plugs.
    '08 Suzuki SX4 Crossover, Copper, MT AWD Touring - front/rear corner molding, front/rear mudflaps, narrow side molding, rear bumper protector, hood protector, window visors, clarion ipod adapter, auto dimming mirror, armrest, security system, Subaru rear wiper, rear 12v, 3M window tint 35% front 20% rear

I installed an aftermarket HU and subwoofer in one of my best mates gf's Trackers a few years back. That's the extent of my knowledge, however. I do know she kept hers a long time, and it was pretty stout. Not a bad purchase, not bad at all.
    Last edited by johnsnownw; September 24th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
    2011 SX4 AWD M/T (SOLD) & 2011 SX4 Sportback M/T(SOLD)

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever you want mate: http://www.jvandike.com

where is the idle control and what should i do to fix it? "supposedly" the guy that sold it to us said he just replaced the intake manifold gasket.

i'm also looking for a good Geo forum to help me learn more about these, any body got experience with "other" forums that have good tracker enthusiast?

these are super popular in wv. You see more of these lifted offroading than you do jeeps here for sure.

I was driving the CHEVY Tracker for a little while! Automatic, convert, 2002, 88k miles on it. Not a bad car, but I love my sx4 1000x better

The idle control is near the throttle butterfly and bypasses it wIth air only (the injectors may stay the same or adjust to match by the computer at idle depending on the car). This Air Idle Bypass Valve has a fast reactng electric motor and typically fills with goop over time. Remove it, trying to not tear the gasket. A little silicone may work if you do. Take off the electrical parts and clean the metal parts with carburetor cleaner, q tips, test tube brushes, just about anything. Some mfg's say soap and water so as not to melt their anti goop coating (some sort of shellac that obviously did not work anyway). Like Audiopuddin' says, a plug could have been slightly cracked when installed. I like Autolite because they are hard to break putting them in.
    Last edited by Pete the Pirate; September 24th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-...a-geo-tracker/ seems to have some good feedback. I have a 96, has been a very good vehicle for us.

Toby
    2012 SX4 6spd manual, 215-65-16's, 2001 Durango, 1999 Harley Ultra Classic