Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overload rear springs?

Pro tip: use spring stabilizers in the rear when drag racing a fwd car to prevent weight transfer to the rear which helps limit wheel slip/hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
    I know this is a long shot but does anyone offer heavy-duty rear springs in stock height for the SX4? For anyone who tows or carries lots of stuff, or heck, even carries passengers in the backseat, will notice that the rear will sag like a dog with an itchy butt when any sort of weight is introduced in the back. Even with the car completely unladen, the rear is still way too soft and loose. You can simply prove this by pressing on the rear bumper and the car will squat down before you've finished transferring all your weight to your hands. Why Suzuki put such stupidly weak springs and shocks in the rear is beyond me. It's bothered me from day one. I've always planned on building my SX4 into a little overland expedition vehicle, which it's just about finished, but the fact that it can't handle any sort of cargo in the back will not do for obvious reasons.
    Maybe it's a US market thing. I've taken loads including flat packed MDF kitchen cabinets and bricks to our beach place and the Aus spec handles them quite well.

How about KYB?

Quote Originally Posted by Suk SX4 View Post
    How about KYB?
    I'm seeing lots of sx4 models available to search through their product catalog but not getting any product matches when i click em.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDavis621 View Post
    Do you get any additional ''lift'' from the coil spring spacers? They have those at the store down the street, have been curious to know how good they work...
    Any issues with the install of the Monroes?
    Doesn't really create any lift, just prevents the rear from sagging and helps the weaker coils from collapsing so easily. It definitely sits higher than before when there's weight in the car, I wouldn't really say it does when the car is unloaded though. But just creating a slightly higher spring rate in the rear is win/win in so many ways. Less squat when taking off and when shifting, more load capacity, more responsive rear in general is a good thing in my mind.

I had Koni yellows set to full hard as well as lowering springs and a custom 28mm sway bar in the rear of my 850 R paired with the stock 21mm front bar and konis to full soft with lowering springs in the front. So I naturally like a tight rear that rotates nicely and a softer front end that digs into corners and prevents under steer.

I'll let you insert that's what she saids where you see fit.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd Off-Road ready...
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Quote Originally Posted by Die trying View Post
    Pro tip: use spring stabilizers in the rear when drag racing a fwd car to prevent weight transfer to the rear which helps limit wheel slip/hop.
    Agreed. I also like the balance in handling of having a tight rear in a FWD-biased chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDavis621 View Post
    Any issues with the install of the Monroes?
    I'll tell you when I do it! I was going to do it Thursday but looks like I might have some free time tonight. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Die trying View Post

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

There also were small diameter coil springs that fit over shocks. If installed at ride height or slightly over, they don't raise the car just stiffen it. Most conventional US cars had rear shocks at crazy angles trying to control spring wrap up or trying to be sway bars, so their weight carrying efflect was limited. The SX4's vertical shocks would seem to be ideal for them. I don't know but have always heard that the stabilizers ride down the spring and can pop out if you get a little air over RR tracks.
    Last edited by Pete the Pirate; September 25th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete the Pirate View Post
    There also were small diameter coil springs that fit over shocks. If installed at ride height or slightly over, they don't raise the car just stiffen it. Most conventional US cars had rear shocks at crazy angles trying to control spring wrap up or trying to be sway bars, so their weight carrying efflect was limited. The SX4's vertical shocks would seem to be ideal for them. I don't know but have always heard that the stabilizers ride down the spring and can pop out if you get a little air over RR tracks.
    I've seen those too, but you're pretty much stuck with carefully measuring and ordering the right length. And they're also supposed to be a shock killer. The spring spacers I installed are nice and tight even at full droop and I made sure to install them on opposite sides and close together so you get the least amount of spring warp possible.