Thread: Leaves in my squirrel cage

Leaves in my squirrel cage

No matter how careful I am, when I change the Cabin Air Filter (or R&R it to vacuum it) I spill leaves down in the blower motor. The wheel is so light a dry leaf can throw it out of balance and sound like a lawnmower. A rigged up tube on a vacuum could work, but mine didn't. Three screws and a twist drop the motor and squirrel cage far enough to fish out the leaves with a dental pick.

So far, shoving the shop-vac hose down in there has worked, but it's good to know that gaining access when needed is simple enough.

You are absolutely correct about how so little debris it takes, (and the obnoxious noise it creates), to throw that somewhat flimsy centrifuge out-of-balance.

Here I was thinking this was a NSFW type of topic.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Well, at least you're doing maintenance on your Cabin Air Cleaner. Most guys/gals never touch the thing.
    Mine gets cleaned out every 3K miles, when I do my bumper to bumper maintenance. I finally replaced mine just recently, after three years of use and repeated cleanings.

The FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Cleaner works wonders to keep the outside air coming in, nice and fresh.

Cheers Mates!

Five time Suzuki Owner: My last Suzuki= a 2009 SX4, X-Over, iAWD, AT, Tinted and striped

Thanks. The dealer wanted $80 installed. I can't find a Fram but can get them for about $22 from NPN and Beck Arnley.

I got mine for $8 off eBay.
    "It's kind of like having a harem. It's really expensive and WAY overkill, but how much fun is it to brag to your friends that you have one?"
    SX4-Turbo @ 11psi

Lightbulb lint lizard can save the day

I hate to necro thread, but there is an excellent fix to this problem.

There is a popular item called a lint lizard, which is one of those as seen on TV type of products.

The original application is to use a normal vacuum cleaner as a way to remove lint from your drier hose via an adapter to a narrow tube that will fit inside.

If you can run an extension cord to your sx4 and have access to a decent vacuum cleaner, it'll be perfect for pulling out these leaves and could save your blower motor from destruction, which is why I commented on a "dead" thread.

You can Google lint lizard and get it in a gazillion places.

Yes, this last time I bought a 1" id soft radiator hose that has a 90 degree bend on one end. Don't know what it fits. I duck taped it to the shop vac and it worked great without dropping the motor.

Side note - I had a terrible Noise from the blower motor. Thanks to this and some videos etc, I was able to get out most of the debris, including peanut shells!!
    Suzuki SX4 | 2008 | hatch | auto | AWD | 135,000km
    Subaru Forester | 2014 | auto | AWD | 70,000km