Thread: AC odor.. Pls help me.

AC odor.. Pls help me.

Hi all, I am encountering a kind of freaking smells when my car AC is running cold. When I on the AC for more than 10min, there is a kind of dead rat or used socks smells came out from the AC blower.

I did tried many methods to resolve but still the same.

*I tried to use hot-air ventilation function when the smells arise.
    *I tired the chemical ventilation. It is a kind of spray form and only place under the dashboard and leave the AC run for 10mins.
    *I had vacuum the whole car.
    *I had changed AirCon Filter.

Now the smell is still there. Usually I don't full blast the coldness to highest. I will turn to 3/4 level. Whenever I drove about 10-20mins later. The smells will take place about 30 secs. The smells will be eventually on and off until I off the engine.

Anyone experienced this before? My mechanic told me most likely will be the bacteria mold surrounded the AC compressor or AC duct. I was thinking to remove it myself and clean up. Anyone can advise me??

Thanks

Rodent nest would be my first my guess.

I was hoping for more answers on this one. Not sure if you have the same thing as me, but when I turn on the AC I get a bad smell for a minute or two. After that it is okay, never intermittent, and does not depend on the AC setting. My car sits outside so I assume water pools somewhere in the vent system that is active only when the AC is on. I checked the cabin air filter and it was dry and fine. My Forester sat outside also and never had this kind of smell.

My AC is the manual kind. If you have the auto climate control, that might make it intermittent even if it's the same cause I have.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiuki View Post
    Rodent nest would be my first my guess.
    +1
    I had one in my cabin air filter. I also needed to clean thoroughly HVAC system with a spray (comes with the instructions) that I bought at the gas station.

Anyway, let your fan blow for 5-10 mins without AC, every time you finish driving. Condensation form the AC stays in the pipes and helps bacteria growth. So, last 5-10 mins of the ride let only the fan blow without AC, to dry the system.
    ʇı ɟo ǝʇnuıɯ ʎɹǝʌǝ ʎoظuǝ ı 'ʎʇıuɐsuı ɯoɹɟ ɹǝɟɟns ʇuop ı

Question: Is your car even equipped with a cabin air filter? I'm not sure if the models in your country have them. If not, debris can collect in the housing and plug the evaporation drain hose. This can lead to rotted (mildew) material in the bottom of the HVAC housing. A thourgh clean-out would be in order.

Search "mildew" on this site. You will find what you need
    2012 Crossover CVT: De-Badged/RRM pully/Projector Headlights/30% tint/KN Drop In/Fog Lights/SGcarstyling spoiler

My other brand car got the same problem.....Here is what I did..must be a hot summer week

1. Clean the filter
    2. Run the car...and turn the heat on to high..reciclate ...low fan speed
    3. run car for an hour or longer, fresh air for 5 minute before off engine
    4. let car cool
    5.run a/c to very cold..high fan circulate for 30 minute.
    6. Off ac and let fan run 10 min fresh air.

Repeay step 1-6. Few timed.

What the high heat insummer is actually turn the exchange to an oven pasterize bacteia...the /ac part is to condense moisture to wash the evap unit washing the unit..
    2007 AWD auto...K/N air filter. AUX input. NBattery. 160k km
    Fixes..alternator,swaybarlnk,cntrlarm,innertierod, Pwiperarm,exhaustjoint,rearaxleseal.u joints.