Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turbo swift from factory

turbo swift from factory

I just stumbled across this have a look http://carsales.mobi/news/2010/small...r=0&trecs=7685

So no turbo's from Suzuki. I am not surprised, they have lead the way in NA engines in Japan. I just wish they would spend some time on DI and a 11:1 CR for the SX4 and Swift. I would love to see the 1.4L with DI and 11:1 CR here in the states. It could easily get close to 120HP still get great MPG's, that car would be a blast.
    I am the Angel of Death for Automotive companies in the US, I have owned a Saturn and a Suzuki.

It is
    legitimate to compare my Suzuki SX4 to a Ferrari; Italian Designed, Superb engineering, and she burnt to the ground in a blaze of oil and carbon fiber glory.

Suzuki has a long history of building low cost vehicles for emerging markets, and the VW-Zuk partnership is no more then a way for VW to gain insight into how to do the same successfully. I believe there will be a vehicle or two (read: super econo-boxes) that will come from this un-holy alliance, where platforms and engines will be shared, and will probably be sold in places where most Americans have never been or even heard of.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if it's in English, thank a soldier.

Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno!

I would object strongly to that, but - after reading the things linked above - the outlook isn't so good indeed
    What were they thinking when they developed the new 1.4 70kW engine? Who needs another 70kW engine in the Swift?
    And where's the turboed Sport??

Bleh, another fantastic chassis from Suzuki with no power. 93hp? just toss the 'Busa engine in it and call it a day. 197hp and 113lb-ft, out of 1.3L. They have the technology to make very powerful small engines but for whatever reason they won't apply that tech to their cars. Apparently the automotive side doesn't care about performance, and adequate is good enough.

at this point, I'm just hoping ANY Swift makes it to our shores.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
    at this point, I'm just hoping ANY Swift makes it to our shores.
    I gave up this year, I just don't think it is going to happen. Suzuki is in such a hole that they may just try to keep what they have and move with it.
    I am the Angel of Death for Automotive companies in the US, I have owned a Saturn and a Suzuki.

It is
    legitimate to compare my Suzuki SX4 to a Ferrari; Italian Designed, Superb engineering, and she burnt to the ground in a blaze of oil and carbon fiber glory.

GM muscled them out of the dealerships after the split. They refuse to advertise right now and i have been come to believe it is because of the lack of dealer support in the US. Our greatest hope now is that the suzuki vw alliance will allow suzuki to rebuild it's dealer network. If that happens we might see the swift hit our shores. If not, we will probably be owners of the last generation of suzukis exported to north america. As far as the engine choice goes, suzuki has a long history of building small displacement motors in both turbo and NA. They could have built a more advanced or more powerful motor if that had been their goal. This was probably the most economical option. I would bet that right now economical is the goal.
    Last edited by Die trying; December 15th, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
    '09 Suzuki SX4 AWD 5-spd Copper Sunlight Metallic - RIP
    '15 Ford Fiesta ST Tuxedo Black
    Stage 2+ E30 tuned by Panda Motorworks

Another thing is that Suzuki really focuses on emerging markets and low cost. I think the idea of a smaller engine is having it get the most MPG with out having to add a lot of expensive tech that would raise the price. I would love to see them also focus a little on the top of their markets and get a couple really strong small engines they could just stick in a US bound Swift.

It is

they already did it in the 80's and early 90's with the turbo Swifts... and they were not that much expensive than the non-turbo. I don't see a reason not to do it, the only problem is the lack of support here in the states. I rather buy a Suzuki than any other american made car in the same price bracket if they bring the power up just a notch. That Kizashi with the V6 is looking very tempting.

Now on the link, I dont want to see VW engines on the Suk... what I want is a turbo Suzuki engine... they have all the technology available, granted it might add a few grands to the price, but that is not too much still compared with the market. And VW needs to bring back the regular Jetta-Golf-Rabbit with the 2.0T and not reseerve it only for the GTI-GLI...