Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SX4 converted to LPG

Update

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSilenceDoGood View Post
    Updates ?
    Oh. yes. I forgot about it.

Nothing spectacular to report. Did 90K service, motor oil, transmission, gearbox, rear diff, belt, brake fluids, filters and asked the guys to check on the valves.
    Surprisingly, the owner of the shop refused to do it. Said "I don't want to take your money for nothing". Then he asked me if the engine was opened before and after I said no, he said there was no reason to do it now, in despite of LPG conversion. To quote him: "these engines can run forever, no need to touch them if nothing is broken". Well, he had that independent Suzuki shop 20+ years and was racing Swifts on domestic and regional rallies for many years too (I knew his name from racing news), so I could only assume that he knows his job.
    Everything is ok apart form somewhat worse fuel economy. I wasn't home 6 months before that and I remember having it around 10 L/100km of LPG. Then it went to 11. I did service the LPG installation (filter change and injectors cleaning) and the guys told me that everyone else complained. Apparently, LPG is now being "marked" due to new legislation and the quality deteriorated very much. So it had nothing to do with my car but the fuel. It still runs as it always did.
    Actually, I don't have it now. I moved to South Korea, for at least next 6 months, for the job. Here, I have a bike and a damn cold weather. Anyway, car would be a hassle here due to the congested traffic and Korean public transport is nearly perfect.

Greetings from South Korea!
    ʇı ɟo ǝʇnuıɯ ʎɹǝʌǝ ʎoظuǝ ı 'ʎʇıuɐsuı ɯoɹɟ ɹǝɟɟns ʇuop ı

"13 Sx4 CVT Gas/LPG Conversion

What was brand name or website that made the conversion kit ?

I had a LPG Chevy 12 Avalanche(by Technocarb.com) here in States till crooks stole it from the dealership lot, with Keys in it and burnt it to the ground!
    then fought the Global Insurance Conglomerates and WON!

So we are building a '13 Sx4 to put on LPG after it hits 100K so I can get a 500-600 fuel window!!!!!

Thank you for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSilenceDoGood View Post
    What was brand name or website that made the conversion kit ?

I had a LPG Chevy 12 Avalanche(by Technocarb.com) here in States till crooks stole it from the dealership lot, with Keys in it and burnt it to the ground!
    then fought the Global Insurance Conglomerates and WON!

So we are building a '13 Sx4 to put on LPG after it hits 100K so I can get a 500-600 fuel window!!!!!

Thank you for the response!
    The website of the workshop wouldn't cut it for you, it's in Belgrade, Serbia and not too informative.

As for the parts:

Quote Originally Posted by Balansero View Post

Installed: AC Stag Premium ECU unit, injectors and related parts, Atiker LPG tank, Tomasetto reducer and accesories.
    Can't tell you more as I am far from home. You can find all the details in previous posts in this thread.
    ʇı ɟo ǝʇnuıɯ ʎɹǝʌǝ ʎoظuǝ ı 'ʎʇıuɐsuı ɯoɹɟ ɹǝɟɟns ʇuop ı

I am not seeing a link to package you choose, got motor out and ready for your expert advice!
    The ABSOLUTE BEST car under $20K with AWD any where in Rome!

Now "Mighty Mouse" runs like a Dothriki Whore, on horse heart 1$ night!"

This is pretty cool. I like stuff like this.

But the guy I have do cylinder head rebuilds for me makes an awful lot of $$$$ on natural gas converted engines. The same would apply for propane. This may not be true in all engines, but the intake valves wear out on them, and after the work of rebuilding the heads which normally wouldn't need to be done, any cost benefit to doing the conversion is completely wiped out.

Essentially, you have to use the harder exhaust valves for your intake as well. It may never be a problem on some engines, depending on the metallurgy being used.

Burned valves at 220k km.

Quote Originally Posted by Balansero View Post
    Oh. yes. I forgot about it.

Nothing spectacular to report. Did 90K service, motor oil, transmission, gearbox, rear diff, belt, brake fluids, filters and asked the guys to check on the valves.
    Surprisingly, the owner of the shop refused to do it. Said "I don't want to take your money for nothing". Then he asked me if the engine was opened before and after I said no, he said there was no reason to do it now, in despite of LPG conversion. To quote him: "these engines can run forever, no need to touch them if nothing is broken". Well, he had that independent Suzuki shop 20+ years and was racing Swifts on domestic and regional rallies for many years too (I knew his name from racing news), so I could only assume that he knows his job.
    Everything is ok apart form somewhat worse fuel economy. I wasn't home 6 months before that and I remember having it around 10 L/100km of LPG. Then it went to 11. I did service the LPG installation (filter change and injectors cleaning) and the guys told me that everyone else complained. Apparently, LPG is now being "marked" due to new legislation and the quality deteriorated very much. So it had nothing to do with my car but the fuel. It still runs as it always did.
    Actually, I don't have it now. I moved to South Korea, for at least next 6 months, for the job. Here, I have a bike and a damn cold weather. Anyway, car would be a hassle here due to the congested traffic and Korean public transport is nearly perfect.

Greetings from South Korea!

Hi Balansaro, do you still own the car? If so, any issues with the engine?

I converted my SX4 to LPG in May 2021. Odometer red 176k km. I drive a 2010 AWD with a M16A 1600cc 88kW engine. I don‘t have the details of the LPG components at hand, but I can say it additionally uses the Flashlube system with Valve Saver Fluid.

Around a year after the conversion the engine started misfiring (odometer at 220k km). Compression test explained the misfiring: 1, 3, 6, 9 bars respectively (14.5, 43.5, 87, 130.5 psi). I had the exhaust valves replaced as they were burned out. The guy who did the job told me it happened due to the car running on LPG and claimed there was no way to prevent it. The guy who did the LPG conversion claims the burning out of the valves can be prevented by periodically performing the valve lash adjustment.
    Yet, according to the file provided by migabi, the M16A engines have a tendency to show excessive wear of valves/seats.

I‘m now wondering whether the burning out of the valves was solely caused by the engine running on LPG or if it was kind of inevitable given the high number of miles on the car.

I must say the quality of LPG in Lithuania is only average, but a lot of cars seem to be running fine using it.

Quote Originally Posted by migabi View Post
    Hate to crash your party but some british car dealer (also lpg dealer) blacklisted our m16a :
    Overview valve/seat problems <100.00 km : Suzuki SX4 2006> M16A 1600 cc 16V Excessive wear of valves/seats
    From here : http://amrautos.co.uk/database_problem_cars.pdf
    Last edited by Lyduokiai; January 22nd, 2023 at 01:43 AM.
    2010, M16A 1600cc, 88kW, AWD, hatchback, converted to LPG at 176k, currently odometer at 233k.

The SX4 mileage is 16.51 kmpl to 22.1 km/kg. The Manual Diesel variant has a mileage of 21.79 kmpl. The Manual Petrol variant has a mileage of 16.51 kmpl. The Manual CNG variant has a mileage of 22.1 km/kg.