Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded in the SX4 for a Dodge Journey

Traded in the SX4 for a Dodge Journey

I'm no longer and SX4 owner. I needed something bigger, so I traded in my 09 SX4 Crossover Touring and got a 2012 Dodge Journey Crew. I've never been a huge fan of domestic cars, but the redesigned Journey caught my attention and kept it. I've had it for about a week, and so far I absolutely love it. The SX4 was a good ride for 3 years, but it was time for a change. The reduction in gas mileage is going to hurt, but nearly double the horsepower will make up for it

Well bud, I hope you have many wonderful miles on the Dodge.

Take care, and thanks for being part of our community.

All the best,
    Brumbie

Good luck!

Thanks guys. Good luck to you as well. By the way, I ended up getting $12k for the SX4 in trade. It held it's value a lot more than I was expecting after 3 years!

Nice! Dont forget to pop in with updates. Nobody ever does that.

$12K (US I assume) sounds pretty good for me, what mileage did it have? Of course, the real question is what did it cost to trade up. I had a 1999 very cherry Mazda Protege with about 50K miles, moon roof and low profile tires... a very nice car. Beat on the deal as hard as I could I got $2.5K, but the SX4 was so heavily discounted I went for it anyway. Said another way, if I had paid closer to "list" on the SX4 the dealer would have given me more for my trade-in. Then too, I kept an eye to see what he did with my trade-in. It was in such good shape he put new tires on it (new brakes I hope) and put it up for sale off their own lot... asking $7K for starters. If they got $6K they made more of this than the sale of the new SX4 to me. That's alright, they are in business to make a profit - and pay their employees.

I'll check in every now and then. The Dodge Journey forum isn't as active as this one

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_NJ View Post
    $12K (US I assume) sounds pretty good for me, what mileage did it have?
    It only had about 23k miles on it. I always negotiate selling price on a new car before even talking about a trade-in or financing. That keeps the dealer from taking away from their discount to inflate the trade-in value (or vice versa). I'll have to go back and see what they're selling the SX4 for. I would guess that they'll ask around $15k for it. I think I only paid around $18k for it when it was brand new 3 years ago. I was expecting much lower residual value, so I'm happy with what I got.

Quote Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
    It only had about 23k miles on it. I always negotiate selling price on a new car before even talking about a trade-in or financing. That keeps the dealer from taking away from their discount to inflate the trade-in value (or vice versa). I'll have to go back and see what they're selling the SX4 for. I would guess that they'll ask around $15k for it. I think I only paid around $18k for it when it was brand new 3 years ago. I was expecting much lower residual value, so I'm happy with what I got.
    Holy cow... The most I have been offered at a dealer for mine is 4K.. Mine is a 2008 with 80K on it. 12K is a super high number.Trade in Value on your car is 8K in Excellent condition.. You got one heck of a deal man.. They can't sell that car for more then $9,500 and that is in great condition.. Maybe I should go to your dealership..

Quote Originally Posted by B-Spec View Post
    Holy cow... The most I have been offered at a dealer for mine is 4K.. Mine is a 2008 with 80K on it. 12K is a super high number.Trade in Value on your car is 8K in Excellent condition.. You got one heck of a deal man.. They can't sell that car for more then $9,500 and that is in great condition.. Maybe I should go to your dealership..
    What site are you looking at for trade-in values? According to Kelley Blue Book, trade-in value on my SX4 is $12,249 in excellent condition or $12,049 in very good condition. I've never had a dealer offer even close to KBB trade-in value, which is why I was surprised with the $12k offer. You really had a dealer offer you $4k for a 2008? The miles must really kill the value.