Thread: Remote Starter install?... easy/difficult?

Remote Starter install?... easy/difficult?

Time has come to get a remote starter put in my SX4, so I've been out shopping and am somewhat shocked at the prices. More specifically, the amount of labour involved. Seems the average install cost, over and above the cost of the remote starter itself, is around $350.

Just how difficult is it to install a remote starter?...
    2008 SX4 JX Hatchback ~ Quicksilver Metallic ~ MT/iAWD ~ 20% tint - windows & windshield strip ~ TomTom Car Kit for iPhone (hardwired) ~ Tom McCabe AUX cable

It's almost the same level difficulty as installing an alarm. If you are good with wiring diagrams it's fairly easy work. Gets a bit more complicated if its a manual transmission since you need to also do some work on the clutch safety switch. I would strongly advice you to get a professional to install it if you're electrinically clueless.

Its seems very difficult. I had a shop do mine. Took a very long time. Just have a shop do it
    Too much to type...

Get a shop to do it that has flat rates like Best Buy or Future Shop. That way if it takes them 8hrs they can't overcharge you.

But yes it's pretty difficult to do. Especially on modern cars that need so many safety things bypassed.
    '11 SX4 AWD 6-spd Off-Road ready...
    Father's: '12 Kizashi Sport & '12 Grand Vitara
    Proud owners of the entire North American Suzuki line-up

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoneer View Post
    Get a shop to do it that has flat rates like Best Buy or Future Shop. That way if it takes them 8hrs they can't overcharge you.

But yes it's pretty difficult to do. Especially on modern cars that need so many safety things bypassed.
    +1... And i believe our keys are imbedded with a smart chip so you'll have to keep your spare key in the car. and bypass the clutch if your manual.
    2010 SX4 Crossover 6MT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastSX4 View Post
    +1... And i believe our keys are imbedded with a smart chip so you'll have to keep your spare key in the car. and bypass the clutch if your manual.
    My 2007 without smartpass does not have a smart chip. I had a Suzuki key blank cut at a local key shop and this key starts my car just fine. I cannot speak for every model though...

I am not a professional installer but I found my install pretty easy. I used a product called Posi-Tap to tap my wires. All of your connections are done at the BCM with 3 in the kick panel. Do use a bypass module!! This will simplify your install. If you do decide to install let's know and I'll send you a diagram for the clutch relay. It is just a mini relay.

Anyone know if the cars "Without" the smartkey thing with the old-fashion keys still have keys with chips in them? Mine is a 2010 manual, with a typical key and I want to put a remote start on it.

I have a remote start....installed about two years ago by a local shop. I have a 2008 w/o smartpass.....key has no chip. Remote start works great!
    Last edited by joeschmo; December 27th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Always wanted to do this but thought since I have the "smart key" (aka keyless door/ignition) that I wouldn't be able to. The key itself (for use when the remote is dead) does not have a chip. MY2007.