Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install Auxiliary lights (Driving Lights) the easy way.

How to install Auxiliary lights (Driving Lights) the easy way.

Just as the Title mentions, this is the simplest way to install lights on your SX4 and without wiring them into the car at all.

First, thanks to everyone on the forum that helped me with procurment of the necessary hardware and advice: aogden, 1rocky, Ginge, Schultzey, Balansero and condor27596.

Special thanks to aogden who gave me the idea of using a wireless controller (aka the easy way).

Shall we get started...

For this project I chose to wire in Hella 500FF lights and to use the Pilot Performance PL-SW29 4 Channel Wireless Remote Switch to control them. One negative you will find with the Pilot is that the directions are absolutely atrocious, which is one of the reasons I'm doing this write-up.

Stock Photo of PL-SW29

Here are some of the items you will need to do the install: All bought at RadioShack:

Tap-In Squeeze Connectors 22-18 Gauge (1-pak)
    Crimp-On Snap Connectors 22-18 Gauge (2-pak)
    Ring Tongues 1/4" 16-14 Gauge (1-pak)
    Heat-Shrink Tubes (1-pak)
    Electrical Tape
    Zip Ties
    Wire Protectant Tubing (not necessary but helps to keep things neat and safe)

Tools:

Ratchet with 10mm socket (for removing bolts of the battery and ground)
    Wire Crimper/Stripper
    Lighter (For Heat-Shrink Tubing)

Picture of some of the hardware:

First I will explain the Pilot PL-SW29:

This is a 4-channel wireless controller. This means you can plug up to for different devices to the controller at a time. The 2 Hella Lights go on one of the channels. The PL-SW29 is comprised of a Red and Black wire to power the device, which includes a 15 amp fuse on the power wire. This was plugged directly into the battery. It also has 8 other wires which are color coded and contain 4 pairs for the 4 channels. I used the 2 Green wires to power the lights. Here comes the tricky bit. The pair of wires for each channel are both power wires, neither of them will be ground. That is to say that one of the green wires will be attached to the lights, the other will need to be attached to another power source. It does not matter which wire goes where, they are not-polorized. In my case, I attached one green wire to the relay that came with the Hellas and the other was attached to the positive battery terminal. More on this later.

Picture of the PL-SW29 Wireless controller:

This is a picture of one of the Green wires (from the wireless controller) attached to the Red power wire for the controller that was then attached to the Positive Terminal of the battery:

Here is a schematic for the Hella Lighting Relay:

So, now we will discuss how to connect the wireless controller to the Relay that comes with the Hella Lights.

The relay has 4 wires:

Red - Attaches to the positive battery terminal.
    Blue - Attaches to the Ground on your vehicle.
    Yellow - Attaches to the second Green wire (from the wireless controller.)
    Black - Attaches to the Power wires from the lights.

Picture showing the Yellow wire spliced together with the 2nd Green wire, utilizing the Tap-in Squeeze connector:

Now, because I wanted to be able to take the lights on and off the car with relative ease, I decided to crimp on snap connectors to the lights and the wires they attache to on the relay.

Picture showing Male snap connector attached to the positive wire on the Light. Note that the power wire for the light is Black, while the ground wire is Blue:

You will notice that Hella lights in the schematic also come with a Light-Green power wire for the included Hella switch. Because you are using the wireless controller, the switch and associated light-green wire is not needed. However, you will need to ground the lights. So, what I did was to re-purpose the light-green wire and cut it into two separate wires. One end of each wire was given a female snap connector so that they could be attached to the male snap connector on the Blue ground wire from the lights. I then took the other end of each green wire and spliced them together, crimping them into a tongue connector that was then attached to the ground of the car's frame.

Picture showing the whole set-up wired in:

Here is an extremely simple wiring diagram (yes it's hand-drawn, no need to poke fun). Also, I left out the wiring for the 3 other channels on the controller, to make it simple.

I will be cleaning up the wiring when I have time, but I thought this would be the best way to show how exactly I wired everything up. Anyway, I hope you all find this helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in attempting this set-up. It was really easy and took no time at all.

Regards,

JohnSnowNW

I have tested the set-up to make sure it works, but I'm still waiting on the license plate mount to put on the lights.
    Last edited by johnsnownw; October 6th, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
    2011 SX4 AWD M/T (SOLD) & 2011 SX4 Sportback M/T(SOLD)

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever you want mate: http://www.jvandike.com

I got tired of waiting for the license plate bracket and just fabricated my own out of aluminum.

Material:

Finished Product:

It's not perfect but I fabricated and installed it in an hour, not sure if I'll keep it or what, but I was tired of staring at the light sitting on my floor.

Cost me $15 at Home Depot. All I did was to cut the aluminum down to 14" in length, drill two holes for the license plate screws and two more for the light mounting bolts. I also added some 3m adhesive tape to the back to aid the screws holding the bracket.

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever you want mate: http://www.jvandike.com

I saw this wireless switch mentioned in the other thread, and have been really intrigued. where are you going to mount the control box? in the engine bay? I was wondering how weather proof it really is.

I was thinking about this for my truck, but blasting through mud wholes might not agree with this little unit.

BTW very nice write up. some one will love you in the future for this.
    2007 Suzuki SX4 Crossover<<sold>>
    I continue to HATE Consumer Reports
    2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab <<sold>>
    2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Dozer

I plan on leaving the control box where it is, on top the battery. I don't believe I'm going to have any issues, but it's also only a $26 controller. If it goes out I'll just buy another one and then try to make that one water-proof. That's another great thing about using the wireless set up. I wouldn't have to rewire anything, just plug the old harness in the new unit and off I go, back in business.

I think it would be really easy to make weather-proof with some sort of silicon caulking or the like, but I'm really not that concerned.

I do hope someone gets something out of it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsnownw View Post
    it's also only a $26 controller. If it goes out I'll just buy another one and then try to make that one water-proof..
    a very good point. if i am still unable to find a switch taht will fit into my blank spots - i will probaably go this route. 2 sets of driving lights, then get some lights for the back. yeah - thats the ticket
    2007 Suzuki SX4 Crossover<<sold>>
    I continue to HATE Consumer Reports
    2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab <<sold>>
    2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Dozer

When I put it in my Jeep I just used double sided tape and stuck it to the coolant overflow jug. Ran it through all sorts of crap and it never failed me.

You did an outstanding job on that.
    87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice.
    07 MINI w/sport, bought new, no kraut.
    08 SX4 hatch, bought new, <insert something snappy here>

Quote Originally Posted by condor27596 View Post
    You did an outstanding job on that.
    Thanks, man.

If I am reading this correctly, your lights are independent of your hi/Los beams? I see this as being a problem legally (for me), what is the easiest way to use the wireless controller but also tap into the high beams. I'd prefer not to direct tap into any factory wiring, but I also don't want to deal with tickets for my aux lights running on low beam.

Great write up and illustration, I will be making a similar mount and similar install.
    2008 SX4 Crossover Touring 4AT
    2013 SX4 Crossover Tech 6MT | Upgraded lighting on the cheap...Not a stock light or bulb left in the car |

Thanks.

Well, I suppose they are independent, but in your case I don't see the issue. You can turn them on/off with the wireless controller...so why do you need to tap into anything? Just turn them on when you're using your high-beams...off when using your low.

I have the switch/fob mounted to the back of my steering wheel at 3'oclock...easy to turn off and on.