Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Known Off-Road Upgrades

Known Off-Road Upgrades

Here's a basic list of known upgrades to get your SX4 off the road. Additions are welcome. The list will be updated as more information is made available.

Lighting

Road Race Motorsports 4 Light Bar 2007+ Crossover [Requires custom installation]

Protection

Primitive Racing Skid Plate 2007+ Crossover [Front and Rear Available]
    Rally Armor Universal Mud Flaps 2007+ Crossover/Sedan [Requires custom installation]
    Rocky Road Outfitters Skid Plate 2007+ Crossover [Front Only]
    Rocky Road Outfitters Road Rails 2007+ Crossover

Suspension

Rocky Road Outfitters Lift Kit 2007+ Crossover
    Rocky Road Outfitters Shock Mount Relocation Kit 2007+ Crossover [Recommended w/ Lift Kit for severe usage]

Tires

rubicon4wheeler's Recommendation [Temporary, determining if it will be linked or listed here]

DIYs

Crossover Zack's Light Bar

**NOTE**
    I want to make it as easy as possible for anyone to reference this thread. If you have posted something and I haven't caught wind of it yet, please send me a PM and I will add it to the list when I can.
    Last edited by Ale Ane; November 24th, 2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Updated
    I am also known as CraveZuk in the old forums.

my diy light bar
    Hella lights purchased at Pep-boys

Last edited by Crossover Zack; November 22nd, 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Now a sticky thread.
    I am the Angel of Death for Automotive companies in the US, I have owned a Saturn and a Suzuki.

It is
    legitimate to compare my Suzuki SX4 to a Ferrari; Italian Designed, Superb engineering, and she burnt to the ground in a blaze of oil and carbon fiber glory.

can be compile a list of off-road tires for stock suspension and lifted suspension applications? also keeping in mind rubbing issues and different rims

Quote Originally Posted by Crossover Zack View Post
    can be compile a list of off-road tires for stock suspension and lifted suspension applications? also keeping in mind rubbing issues and different rims
    The maximum recommended tire size with the lift kit is a 215/70-R16 on stock wheels. Several of us are using this size, and it usually results in some minor tire rub on corners of the plastic inner fender liner. This plastic can be trimmed out of the way with a box cutter, X-Acto knife, or similar blade. There are a few off-road oriented tires in this size. Known options are:
    BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A-KO
    General Grabber AT2
    Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
    Cooper Discoverer ATR
    Falken High Country All Terrain

If you would rather not have any tire rub, one size smaller (215/65-R16) on stock wheels should not cause any rubbing. There are fewer off-road oriented tires in this size. Known options are:
    General Grabber AT2
    Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

Using non-OEM wheels are likely to increase the tendency to cause tire rub. Use are your own risk.
    Last edited by rubicon4wheeler; November 24th, 2010 at 01:46 PM.

Good idea. I can make room for it. The details should be easy to work in. I just need some members willing to throw me some information so I can get started. I'll take a look around on the old forums too.

Thanks rubi! I'll add it right away.
    I am also known as CraveZuk in the old forums.

Has anyone thought about switching to a 15" rim? That would open up a world of off-road tires, even some 'lil mudders.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliec View Post
    Has anyone thought about switching to a 15" rim? That would open up a world of off-road tires, even some 'lil mudders.
    I've of course thought about it, but I didn't need to bother since the 215/70-R16 is the right height and width and it fits just fine on the attractive OEM wheels. The biggest problem is that most aftermarket wheels have less backspacing, so that means more tire rub when shoehorning the largest possible tire into the wheelwells. Maximizing ground clearance was my #1 priority with the lift kit and tires, so I stuck with the OEM wheels to be able to fit the tallest tires I could. Others may be willing to sacrifice maximum ground clearance for a different style/size wheel.

15" rims from a Zuk sedan will definitely expand your options.

Thank you for allowing me to pad my post count.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if it's in English, thank a soldier.

Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno!

Old Saying:
    "The man with experience is never at the mercy of the man with an argument."

Most of us have already learned to listen to "rubicon4wheeler" when it comes to Off Roading. Eh?

Five time Suzuki Owner: My last Suzuki= a 2009 SX4, X-Over, iAWD, AT, Tinted and striped