Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Mounts done right

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Engine Mounts done right

Ok guys and gals. This thread would be about me filling the OEM mounts (brand new ones) with Urethane to make solid mounts. I bought a full set of OEM engine mounts as soon as I noticed my destroyed one (thanks suzuki for putting rubber flaps on every engine mount so the customer won't notice the damage until he can hear hell brake loose under the hood )

In case you missed it, this is what happened :

Notice the rubber flap on the new one on the left (missing on the old and broken one on the right) that prevents the metal parts contact each other. Sadly the positioning of these engine mounts creates a lot of axial stresses on this specific mount which no doubt made it fail.
    This specific mount is the best and most robust of them all. It is semi-hollow and haves a lot of "beef"

So I bought that one (and quickly installed it as I broke out the brittle rubber flat that prevented metal to metal contact and left it on the muffler shop) and the transmission mount thinking that they needed replacement. I took the liberty of cleaning some casting residue from the inside of the mount in preparation for filling them up.

This is how the transmission mount looks like:

yes I can move the center portion quite a bit with my left thumb without much stress (and I am right-handed)

So I decided to inspect the lower 2 mounts and I believe they are a bit cracked, if not well I dont care, I will replace them all and fill them all. These 2 other mounts came completely covered with rubber flaps that where glued to the engine mount. I have no idea why they did something so retarded other than shielding the mount against a random bolt or rock that would find a cozy home there. (sadly I didn't took pictures of the flaps, if anyone really really wants them, reply below and I will go and take pictures).

Guess what! they are even more rubish than the transmission moutn! AWSOME!!!

And I wondered why our engine moved so much and why so much wheel hop activity

Tomorow they are taking a soap and hot water bath, masking them up and filling them with liquid urethane. I bought it from McMaster, the 80A durometer one (thought that the 60 was too low and although the 90A comes in clear i thought it would become way 2 hard) Here is a link to the variety of urethanes they have

so more crappy pics coming soon Im taking pics with my outdated phone so sorry!
    2008 White Sedan Sport 5MT<-- LINK! 130 whp/131 wtq
    Pbucket album
    thats right, I have a link to the old forums and my sig is on the right. you have a prob with that?

So Im not posting the engine mounts naked in the bathtub (i actually didn't take pics of me cleaning them).

As a review of how it went.... Ive done engine mounts before with window weld 3M product
    and its a EPIC PITA because of the gooeyness and stickyness of the product.
    With the casting Urethane it was a smooth and relaxed process, I found it very easy to overfill the mounts but the mess can be easily cleaned with a paper towel without much or any residue left behind the paper towel.

NOTE: There are no fumes so you should do this in a sheltered place, otherwise random rain (like the one that just happened) will leave little craters of the smooth surface of the urethane (yes I was writing this and had to run to the backyard to move the mounts, grab a q-tip and remove the water from the urethane, no, the plastic will not absorb watter that easily)

so this is the product I am looking at while it hardens, will take 15 minutes to harden (I will give it a couple of hours) and a full 7 days to completely cure.

That is why I bought the mounts brand new. I can drive my car while I work on these. I'm thinking of stripping the damaged ones of everything and making a full solid see through mount, sell em for a couple of bucks
    Pbucket album
    thats right, I have a link to the old forums and my sig is on the right. you have a prob with that?

Have you had good luck with filling these in the past? I tried this once on my SRT-4 and they fell apart after about a week. If this works out I might do the same.

the SRT-4 haves twice the power LOL, and yes I have had good results with other ones but never with the SX4 ones so I am crossing my fingers
    Pbucket album

Suzukicarparts.com has the Front, Rear, Left and Right mounts for a total of $389.02 - Do I need to order all four mounts?

ummm depends really, I installed the big one " as is " because I wasn't expecting so much damage and didn't have the urethane on hand. By the way I got them all 4 locally at $250 plus 7% tax so you are getting ripped off there. I have them curing in the backyard and hopefully will install at least those 3 and see how things improve, I would like to fill that other top mount later on. I ran out of Urethane so I will have to order a bit more and was thinking of removing ALL the factory rubber from the mount and making a completely solid mount with the urethane, maybe a softer one to compensate.

I would gladly buy a set and fill them for anyone who wants a set and sell them through paypal but I want to test them a bit before doing so. If @ 3 months they are still holding together as new on my car they will hold together for a year surely on your cars... we get so much heat and bumps in this forsaken island and I go street racing every week at least once, mostly twice. Either way I was thinking of $30 over the mounts and delivery charges is a fair deal.
    Pbucket album

I'm on the list...

im just throwing things around so nothing oficial yet. $250 for brand new mounts + $50 (hopefully might be $20 more depending if they don't ship through USPS) urethane + $30 (for me) + $20 for shipping = $350-$370 for a complete set of filled mounts?

Will be installing them next week, Im looking on how to use the damaged mount so I can fill the new side (big) mount properly and install it so i can have a full idea of how things go when all 4 mounts are filled. That big side mount def holds A LOT of the engine in place but does almost nothing with the foward/backward rocking motion of the engine while the other 3 mounts do hold the engine in place when accelerating and/or braking

Also for those looking for just an improvement with acceleration, filling the rear mount would be a good improvement, that would be way cheaper to deal with, specially with flat-rate shipping across the states
    Pbucket album

Wolfe, any tips or illustrations on how to remove/install the mounts would be great. I at times feel a shutter in my transmission, and I'm starting to think the mounts have weakened.
    Traded 2008 SX4 for 2011 Toyota Camry XLE 4 cyl....
    2011 Camry for 2012 Camry SE V6
    2012 Camry for 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L..and now the 2013 Honda Accord

has anyone crossreferenced the mounts to othercars and looked to see if energy suspension makes something?