Thread: Malfunction Indicator Light

Malfunction Indicator Light

After starting my car when leaving work today the "Malfunction Indicator light" came on. I shut the car off, checked some fluids, everything looked fine. I started it up and the engine revved higher than normal, it is revving higher than normal every time I start my car now. Then while driving home I found out the cruise control does not work. the "cruise" light comes on but then it will not set to a speed. Obviously something is wrong here. I was rear ended a few days ago, the bumper was pretty well mangled, but the car is drive able. It was a fairly good impact, enough to jeer me quite hard. I had the estimate done yesterday, $1900 bucks.
    Anyways, does anybody know that might be causing this, and is it possible that it is related to being rear ended?
    I thinking about driving over to my parents tonight, my dad has a code reader, see if that sheds any light on whats going on?

What are the revs during start up? anything around 1500-1700 during cold startup and 750-1000 for warm engine is fine. Need a little more info about the car...2wd or 4wd...manual or auto? any damage to ur exhaust from the rear end? did the airbags go off? Cruise issue could be a few things but I'd start looking at ur wheel speed sensors/breaking system... at some point down the road u should have an alignment done...if the hit mangled the bumper while the u were at a stop but the airbags didn't go off the sensor may be damaged or misaligned...

If you can get the codes it will be much easier to give you fixes...pictures would help if possible
    2007 SX4 JLX Pearl White - RRO Lifted, Sparco Drifted, 215/65/R16s, Trim/Racks Stripped...
    2009 SX4 JLX Vivid Red - Lifted, Hitched, 215/65/R16 General Grabbers, Slotted Rotors, LEDs Everywhere, DMM HIDs, LED Tails, Rally Armour Mud Flaps, Black RR...

When the MIL/CEL is on, the car does not allow the use of cruise control as a safety feature. Find the code causing the MIL/CEL and proceed from there.

The revs were over 2000, even warmed up. I've started it enough, to hopefully realize if it was revving high or not. It's an AWD, 5spd, with 65,000 miles. The air bags did not go off, the exhaust was not damaged, just the bumper.
    The car does need an alignment, it needed it before the accident, I've noticed that the outside edge of a couple of the tire are wearing quickly.

Anyways, I just went out and started my car, and not it seems that everything is back to normal. It didn't rev high, the light did not come on, so I took it for a ride and even the cruise is functioning normally now. I'm obviously going to keep an eye on it, and I am going to do a code read on it soon, maybe tomorrow, to see if I can figure out what caused it, crossing my fingers that everything is ok.

Hope everything keeps working!
    2007 SX4 JLX Pearl White - RRO Lifted, Sparco Drifted, 215/65/R16s, Trim/Racks Stripped...
    2009 SX4 JLX Vivid Red - Lifted, Hitched, 215/65/R16 General Grabbers, Slotted Rotors, LEDs Everywhere, DMM HIDs, LED Tails, Rally Armour Mud Flaps, Black RR...

I get that too when my CEL comes on due to the gas cap not having a good seal or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    I get that too when my CEL comes on due to the gas cap not having a good seal or whatever.
    +1

Make sure you turn it until it clicks. Otherwise, this light will come on. I learned this after having the car for 1-2 weeks & was glad that that's all it was. Can't remember if I had to unplug the battery to clear the light afterwards, but I think I did.
    2010 SX4 Crossover AWD - Touring Package - Automatic Transmission (2.0L CVT)
    1995 Honda Shadow VLX Cruiser Motorcycle

I had the problem with the CEL (check engine light) coming on when there was no obvious problem with the car.
    My Scan Gauge II told me the error code was P0000, I think it was. There is no such code in the code book.
    I called my dealer Service Mgr and he told me to clean the gas cap seal and put it back on nice and tight, with at least 3 to 4 clicks.

I used a scotch bright scouring pad to clean both the gas cap seal and the mating surface on the filler tube and put the cap on nice and tight and I've had to re-occurrence of the problem.

In rear end collisions, there is a vapor box directly beneath the filler tube that can be damaged. That should be checked after any rear end collision.

Five time Suzuki Owner: My last Suzuki= a 2009 SX4, X-Over, iAWD, AT, Tinted and striped