Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to upload pictures with photobucket

How to upload pictures with photobucket

Hello Everyone.

It seems that some people have had difficulty understanding how to properly upload pictures to the forum from their computers, so I am making a how-to.

This tutorial will be very basic. This tutorial is designed to lay out the process step by step for member who do not have strong computer skills.

It is important to realize that the option to upload directly from the your computer to the forum is disabled on this forum. In order to post a picture on the forum, you must first upload it to a photo hosting site. There are several free and paid sites available.

This tutorial is teaching how to do it with Photobucket.
    I chose Photobucket because it is one of the largest and most well known free image hosts available.

So, here's the tutorial:

The first thing you need to do is to go to photobucket.com

Once you are there, you will see a button that says "Sign Up." They might move it sometime in the future, but it will always be prominently displayed somewhere on the site:

Once you click on that, it will ask you for basic information, fill it in and click "Sign Me Up!"

Once you sign up, it will bring you into a screen where you will see a button that allows you to upload pictures (take them off of your computer and put them onto the internet.)

Once you do that, it will bring you to the file selector. You want to click "choose file" to find the file that you want to upload:

Once you click that, it will bring up a Windows menu that you can select your files from. Hopefully you know where your pictures are stored on your hard drive. A lot of time you can find them by going to the "My Documents" folder and finding the "My Pictures" folder in there. My picture was located in my "My Pictures" folder, so that's where I went to get my picture from. Select the picture you want, then click "open:"

After you click "open" that window should go away and you should see your picture's file name in the Photobucket upload box. When you have gotten all of the pictures you want to upload onto that screen, click the "Start Uploading" button:

Next, it should come up and tell you in the box that the Upload is complete. Also, you should be able to see a small version of the picture(s) you selected for upload at the bottom of the page. Once everything has been uploaded, click the button that says "Save and Continue to My Album:"

Next, you'll see your new album, with all of pictures you uploaded. You can see, I only uploaded one picture. Click on that picture to get to the screen we need next:

When you click on a particular image, it will become bigger, and you will be able to see a box on the right with 5 different ways to share the image. You want to go to the one that says IMG Code:

All you have to do is click on the link that says IMG Code and it will flash and say "Copied" on it. Photobucket has made this very easy to do. Here is a screenshot of the flash that indicates it has been copied:

Now you are done with what you need to do with Photobucket for this picture.
    Your next step is to go to the forum and post the picture on it.

You will either be uploading a picture when you start a thread, or uploading a picture in a thread that is already started.
    The procedure is slightly different between the two, so I will show both ways.

The first way is when creating a new thread.

Go into the place in the forum you want to start a new thread and start the thread.
    When it comes time to place your picture, all you have to do is hold down the CTRL (control) key and the V key at the SAME TIME. Doing this will "paste" the link you copied earlier from Photobucket. The result will look like this:

What I did there was "paste" the IMG Code from Photobucket's site, and then clicked "View Preview" to make sure it worked. Which is why you see the editable text below, and the preview above.
    When you're satisfied with your preview, just click "Post Thread" and your thread will be posted. If you are only posting your picture in a new thread that you are creating, you are now done. The end product will look like this:

If you are posting a picture to a thread that has already been made, all you need to do is to click the "Quick Reply" box and press CTRL and V at the SAME TIME and the image code will pop up in the post and you'll be set. Here is a screenshot of that:

Now, if you don't have the IMG Code to work with, the process is a little different, and slightly more tricky, so I will go over it.

Go to the "Quick Reply" down at the bottom of the thread and look for the little picture frame with the tree in it. This is to upload pictures to threads, so click on it:

You will now get a little box that pops up and asks you to input the URL of your picture. You can press CTRL and V at the SAME TIME just like before to paste the IMG Code into the box:

But here's where it gets a bit tricky... It isn't asking for the IMG Code, it is only asking for the URL. So what you need to do is to remove the tags from the beginning and end of the URL. Just go click on them and delete them.

Here are screenshots of what the beginning and end of the boxes look like with the IMG tags removed:

The way it is set up on our forum, when you do this, the picture should automatically show up on the quick reply box, and you will know that it worked. If you have any doubt, click on "Go Advanced" and it will show you a preview of the post you are about to make.

Either way you go about doing this, the result should be the same. The picture should post just fine in the thread you are trying to put it in, like this:

And that's the end of the tutorial! I hope it will be useful to some members now and in the future.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and we'll do our best to answer all of them.

-Brumbie13 and other forum staff.
    Last edited by Brumbie13; February 22nd, 2011 at 11:30 AM.

Dofus. ;-p
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
    Andy Rooney

Love the username.

2008 Crossover Convenience AWD MT (traded)

This also works with Linux. Typically your pics are in the /home/whatever-my-user.name-is/Pictures. I tested this on Linux Mint with the KDE desktop. Other desktops and Linux distros should work as well so long as they can upload and download.

I think my picture flew OK. I'm good with cars and their computers but for this I think I'd be better off driving it over there.

I could not have gotten this far without your tutorial. I'd like to have it on my posts, and a description of :
    2008 Quicksilver Convenience, Stock as a Rock. I insalled the Fog Light Kit, Narrow Side Protectors, and Security System, the Dealer installed the XM Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete the Pirate View Post
    I could not have gotten this far without your tutorial. I'd like to have it on my posts, and a description of :
    2008 Quicksilver Convenience, Stock as a Rock. I insalled the Fog Light Kit, Narrow Side Protectors, and Security System, the Dealer installed the XM Radio.
    Are you saying that this line is what you want on the bottom of all your posts? That's called a signature. If that's what you'd like, I'll set it up for you.
    The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell.