PDA

View Full Version : facelift again for 2012:

sunday
February 10th, 2011, 05:54 AM
http://indianautosblog.com/2010/12/suzuki-sx4-facelift-breaks-cover-in-china

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2011-Suzuki-SX4-3.jpg

Vibral
February 10th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I don't know if I like it... at least not in that color.

Die trying
February 10th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Noooooo! thats UGLY!

Die trying
February 10th, 2011, 06:29 AM
faux woodgrain trim... that better not come stateside, i will get rid of my sx4. I don't want to be associated with that ugly fake *** junk. Way to take all the fun out of the sx4 Suzuki. It doesn't look sporty at all. The front end looks like a daewoo. That grill is a blatent rip off of the newer daewoo grills. I hate it. I loathe it. I threw up in my mouth a little when i saw it. I'm angry that they would even consider copying the cars that nearly ruined their reputation in the US market.

SUZUKI PLEASE DON'T IMITATE GARBAGE!

ptrudel
February 10th, 2011, 06:31 AM
headlights are about the only thing I don't mind on this change...Rest of it is butt ugly, especially that color

SX604
February 10th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I hate to say it, but it looks like a corolla. :(

Die trying
February 10th, 2011, 06:44 AM
post feedback on that site. you don't have to register. I just posted up my impressions.

jr40490
February 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM
thats effing ugly

Balansero
February 10th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Front looks like some of the Chinese made cars I've seen around. So, I guess it's China specific face lift. I certainly hope so 'cos that is ugly.

However, looking from the functional side, smaller lower grille should have less scooping capacity.:wink: Also, OEM central armrest is finally there.

chrisrunsi
February 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM
headlights are about the only thing I don't mind on this change...Rest of it is butt ugly, especially that color

Those look like projectors to meee!!! Forget retrofit, OEM baby!!

And they look black on the inside!

TimeBandit
February 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I don't get why car companies feel like they have to redesign good models so often...isn't that why they got into trouble in the first place (spending too much money unnecessarily). It's like this whole rebranding kick going on (i.e. Starbucks, GAP). It doesn't make any sense. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". It all just seems like there are too many execs out there with a 'bean-counter' mentality now. It's all about the numbers, not the product.

punksmurph
February 10th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I don't think we will see an SX4 that looks like this. In China and India the SX4 is a more premium model, they don't have the Kizashi, so there are tweaks that car companies make for those markets.

sunday
February 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'll correct your sentence:

IF it doesn't sell, change IT...

TimeBandit
February 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I'll correct your sentence:

IF it doesn't sell, change IT...

Even better: If it doesn't sell, scrap that model, keep the good parts and make something better! :wink:

mbs1
February 10th, 2011, 11:10 AM
That is not a new version, but some kind of ugly chinese "localization".

Maiden69
February 10th, 2011, 02:52 PM
That front is ugly! The rear I like, looks like an A4-A6.

Those look like projectors to meee!!! Forget retrofit, OEM baby!!

And they look black on the inside!

They have been out since day one... I doubt they will make it down here at all!

socarboy99
February 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM
One thing I do hope makes it to other market models is the consule; it looks like it now has a proper armrest. One complaint I've heard about the seat mounted armrests in '09 thru '11 models that it's hard for taller folks who drive in a more reclined position to get comfortable. The armrest in this Chinese version also appears to be wider.

The Jesuit
February 10th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I like it, it's a nicer rendition of the current sedan which I don't like; I especially like the leather interior, moon roof, and turn signal lamps in the side view mirrors. The 2 tone dash is a nice touch. Curious what the hatchback will look like. BTW, it appears that the car pictured has a higher road clearance, so does that mean possible AWD for the sedan?

1stnfoxboro
February 10th, 2011, 06:43 PM
looks like a kia spectra -- not exactly but same concept

Swift_Moves22
February 11th, 2011, 02:30 AM
That is actually the Chinese Market version update with the added elements that was determined to be key to local tastes for the Chinese Market. The Chinese are big on lots of chrome and wood trim, even when faux.

The next U.S. SX4 update will be more forward moving, following more along this design theme
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5435299795_fde1cc047a.jpg

I would appreciate any comments yay or nay on the new styling? Or do you think the Chinese look would be better for the U.S.? :)

Die trying
February 11th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Ditch the chrome and i would buy it. Chrome only looks good on old cars and cruiser motorcycles and even then only in moderation. i love the tiny mirrors though. JMHO

sunday
February 11th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I don't like this design... I'd prefer a lower-wider ride.. with a direct injected 4... j20. let's say 160hp..

I hope the hatch design to have a bit more trunk without lowering rear seats.

Die trying
February 11th, 2011, 08:09 AM
the american culture loves power. i agree with sunday that the next generation sx4 needs to have more power. Also, any styling cues which can be taken from Suzuki's rally cars would be a plus. We love race cars. Getting back into WRC would be nice as well. I love telling people about the sx4's rally pedigree and they look at the car differently (with more respect) when I tell them about it.

Swift_Moves22
February 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I don't like this design... I'd prefer a lower-wider ride.. with a direct injected 4... j20. let's say 160hp..

I hope the hatch design to have a bit more trunk without lowering rear seats.

Well the new 1.4 gdi turbo generates 180hp as intended for placement in the Swift-S, although in the Swift-S it's biased tuned for hp over torque, Swift-S has a lighter weight advantage over SX4. In rough numbers the same engine is retuned for more torque but hp drops to about 168 HP. But Suzuki-Japan might not let that engine comes to the U.S. heh. The 20% currency exchange rate loss is still negatively affecting what comes here from Japan.
Hopefully the U.S. will start to do something about the value of the dollar which has plummeted in the last 2.5 years.

The height of the vehicle prototype that I posted is due to the fact that it is intended to be a mini-mpv, so no worries there, the SX4 won't be quite as tall. There is also one other concept that blends some of the lines of this concept but with a Kizashi type look which is being tossed about too. Either way the intent is to give the basic line-up the "family look". You will see what I mean when the actual photos get released soon of Swift S-Concept. It will be Swift, SX4, Kizashi, 4th vehicle, all with the same forward looking design trends.

TomC
February 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
To Swift_Moves22,
From your posts, it appears you are either someone intimately involved with Suzuki Corporate, or a great BS'er.
Personally, I think you are the former.
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,assuming you want honest feedback from folks who actually own a Suzuki vehicle, you have come to the right place!
Along those lines, here is my honest feedback:
Forget about opinions on new designs, new engines etc UNTIL you firm up the dealer network in North America. There are many owners on this board who bought their SX4 from a dealer close by, that dealer has since closed, & now they have to take a day off work & drive ungodly miles for recall/warranty work. Do you think they will EVER recommend Suzuki to a friend or relative?
IMHO:
1) Establish dealers that are going to be around,,,,,,,,for a long time
2) Advertise in those markets to let folks know that Suzuki makes cars
3) Then introduce exciting new products!
4) Watch sales soar

Something to consider, anyway.

Die trying
February 11th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Well the new 1.4 gdi turbo generates 180hp as intended for placement in the Swift-S... There is also one other concept that blends some of the lines of this concept but with a Kizashi type look which is being tossed about too...

i don't have any plans to trade in my sx4 until the warranty is up and I've had a chance to play with it a little, but if there was a turbo sx4 with a kizashi style grill available I would be on my way to the dealership right now!

SM22 you are my new favorite person here!

B-Spec
February 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM
That interior with the tan and black is just hideous.. Looks almost mismatched..

Die trying
February 11th, 2011, 01:54 PM
mmmm i might have a black and tan tonight now that you mention it

jerdog
February 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I really don't care for the hatchback design that swift_moves22 presented. It looks a lot less rugged than the current SX4 and more like Scion or a Yaris. I bought the SX4 because it was different from other vehicles, not because it looked just like every other one on the street. I would be very disappointed if it went this way.

Swift_Moves22
February 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Ditch the chrome and i would buy it. Chrome only looks good on old cars and cruiser motorcycles and even then only in moderation. i love the tiny mirrors though. JMHO

I beleive that the only part that would remain chrome in a production model would be the long lower front bumper bar (also being called "the cats whiskers" in Japanese lol) which is intended to enhance a "wide" body look. (Another Asian company which is following the feline theme is KIA). Although it's not actually chrome but more of a silver finish, the same colour as the current SX4 front skid plate. The silver piece surrounding the grill wouldn't make it to production, the same that we saw between Kizashi3 concept and the Kizashi production model. The Chinese might be disappointed with the deletion of the chrome grill though ;)
This shot might give a better perspective. As you can see it has a wide stance.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5437616803_aa2f27ba3b.jpg

mbs1
February 12th, 2011, 12:10 AM
That is actually the Chinese Market version update with the added elements that was determined to be key to local tastes for the Chinese Market. The Chinese are big on lots of chrome and wood trim, even when faux.

The next U.S. SX4 update will be more forward moving, following more along this design theme
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5435299795_fde1cc047a.jpg

I would appreciate any comments yay or nay on the new styling? Or do you think the Chinese look would be better for the U.S.? :)

Front looks good, but rear looks too flat. Rear visibility may be not good as in current model. Do you have any picture from the rear?

Avalanche
February 12th, 2011, 12:16 AM
The SX4 sedan shown in pic 1 is unlikely to come anyplace outside China'n hood.

Swift_Moves22
February 12th, 2011, 12:43 AM
From TomC:
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,assuming you want honest feedback from folks who actually own a Suzuki vehicle, you have come to the right place!
Along those lines, here is my honest feedback:
Forget about opinions on new designs, new engines etc UNTIL you firm up the dealer network in North America. There are many owners on this board who bought their SX4 from a dealer close by, that dealer has since closed, & now they have to take a day off work & drive ungodly miles for recall/warranty work. Do you think they will EVER recommend Suzuki to a friend or relative?
IMHO:
1) Establish dealers that are going to be around,,,,,,,,for a long time
2) Advertise in those markets to let folks know that Suzuki makes cars
3) Then introduce exciting new products!
4) Watch sales soar

Something to consider, anyway.

I love your post, you are very in-tune with what is involved with the whole business. So many people don't take in to consideration all of the factors that you just mentioned. I bet you are very valuable to your employer! :)

About the dealer network, Suzuki is doing precisely what you mentioned now.
Just since November of 2010 15 new dealers have been added, and during 2011 you will see Suzuki intently seeking out new TOP NOTCH dealers in areas where Suzuki has plenty of room for growth such as the mid-west states and northern states, etc. Suzuki is already strong in the Pacific Northwest and South Eastern U.S. so those areas won't be targeted as much, other than a focus on re-capturing the large inner city market.

I can tell you that several of the new dealers that were added recently are in direct response to Suzuki customers that live in the targeted growth area and happend to know of an existing new car dealership that was considered by the locals to be top-notch with an excellent reputation and that also just happend to have a large amount of empty space available (due to them loosing the Saturn brand).

The recommendation by that Suzuki owner/customer impressed ASMC enough that they contacted the dealership and I believe great things are to come of it! :) I believe they may even be a member here.

When it comes to adding new dealers in Suzuki's new targeted area, the greatest resource ASMC has are all of you! Who else knows better which local dealerships have the best reputations and are in the right area to become a Suzuki dealer?

So what's the criteria? Well, being in areas OTHER than the Pacific Northwest or the South Eastern U.S. is key. Large populations are better. If located in the "snow belt" even better yet. Existing dealers that have an Excellent local reputation, are in an excellent location and preferably that have a large vacant building and lot on their current property.

It's precisely this type of dealer that Suzuki wants to do business with and which will be there for the long haul.

Advertising - in this area too you are right on the bullseye. Suzuki is now doing targeted marketing. An example of this would be the SuperBowl. When Suzuki spent the dollars to do that advertising, rather than doing it nationwide which would have been astronomical in price considering Suzuki's advertising budget, instead ASMC decided to concentrate only in targeted areas where the viewing audience actually has access to Suzuki dealers and that would provide the greatest bang for the buck.
For 2011 Suzuki will be at more U.S. Auto Shows that ever before! The touring cycle is going to be exhaustive but no pain, no gain right?

The new Kizashi kicks website has been greatly successful as well as the facebook page, the games, giveaways, contests, etc. Not only is this generating tremendous interest here in this country, but it's even gathering attention worldwide, something which was never expected.
2011 is set for the most aggresive and widespread advertising and PR campaign which Suzuki has ever executed in the U.S. One of the reasons this is even possible is because of how successful the recent ads have been. Sales are taking off, (I'll post numbers on that in a seperate thread), Kizashi sales have doubled and are expected to double again. It makes a huge difference to the big cheese back in Japan when they see direct results like that!

The new products are on their way, and Suzuki is determined to follow the same path which it has established with Kizashi. Remember Kizashi is the direct result of Suzuki Automotive working with the Motorcycle division to infuse all new Suzuki cars with the a bit of the same DNA that Suzuki bikes have! Think of it this way.... Kizashi is Suzuki's FIRST attempt and making a mid-sized sedan... and already it is challenging contenders that have decades of experience building mid sized sedans and improving on their existing platforms in a price range almost twice that of Kizashi! And by no means is Suzuki done with Kizashi. If Kizashi means "Great Things Are Coming" when it comes to Kizashi be ready for even Greater Things To Come! :)
There is another Suzuki product which is intended for the U.S. market, (no not the Swift) and I beleive many of the Suzuki die hards will be very happy.

Sales are really turning around. If the trend for last 4 months continues, Suzuki will see growth rates that haven't been seen since 2004 through 2007. Other than the new dealers and the new targeted advertising campaigns the other thing that will drive sales through the roof are the new models arriving. Once they are here I believe the growth will surpass what we saw back when the rebadges were part of the line-up. I can't knock anything with a Suzuki badge on it, but I trust all of you to know the sales potential of a FULL Suzuki line-up that consists of genuine Suzuki designed and built cars versus a line-up of re-badges. The potential is tremendous! :)

So yes yes and yes, to everything you said! Oh.... other than me working for Suzuki, who ever said that?..... I'm just "a lone voice in the wilderness crying out to be heard".

"GREAT THINGS ARE COMING"!!!!!

Swift_Moves22
February 12th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I really don't care for the hatchback design that swift_moves22 presented. It looks a lot less rugged than the current SX4 and more like Scion or a Yaris. I bought the SX4 because it was different from other vehicles, not because it looked just like every other one on the street. I would be very disappointed if it went this way.

No worries there. The concept vehicle presented in that photo is for an MPV vehicle, but is an example of a change in styling trends. What aspects are going to be similar from model to model are the headlights, decending grille, design accents, and overall lines. The next SX4 will still have that rugged look we all agree is superior!
GREAT THINGS ARE COMING!!!! :)

Swift_Moves22
February 12th, 2011, 12:49 AM
The SX4 sedan shown in pic 1 is unlikely to come anyplace outside China'n hood.

Yes you are right! Chinese specific design. They love their chrome haha. I like chrome too but on cars from the 50's and 60's!

Swift_Moves22
March 15th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks again for all of the input and feedback. Very interesting hearing back from current SX4 owners! So following along the same line of thought, that is, upcoming design trends, how do all of you feel about another proposed 2012 model. Not a Suzuki, but possibly a "similar" vehicle.
1.6 to 2.0 litre engine depending on the regional market
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5298/5528703192_df7cb55aff.jpg
Complete with an i-awd system, front and rear skid plates (albeit plastic ones) and the possibility for some markets of selectable fwd/auto/lock.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5528113417_986edb9e71.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5177/5528113619_a84030b3ef.jpg
re-worked interior with alot of "strategic partner involvement"

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5528193365_0833d3889a.jpg
And just for fun, ... a picture of the interior of the 2012 S-Concept :wink:

Any thoughts? Like or dislike?

March 15th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'm a fan of the CrossPolo, but would be somewhat hesitant to buy one. Reliability has not traditionally been Volkswagen's best strength, and parts/upkeep can be pricey.

The exterior styling is nice -- clean, progressive, well-proportioned. The dash and interior seem rather dated, a basic reiteration of what VW's been doing since the late-90s. I do like the seats -- the black netting is similar to that in my SX4, and I've come to appreciate its durability.

Where a "strategic partnership" model is concerned, my ideal package would be Volkswagen styling, Suzuki hardware and drivetrain, built in Japan. If the CrossPolo is an early conceptual glimpse, I like it.

:wink:

Avalanche
March 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I doubt CrossPolo will ever get any 4WD system.
The Audi Q1/VW Sometan or Othereg twins, sharing the platform with the next generation SX4 will have the iAWD, but I'd be really surprised to see the option in Polo. Not the target model, IMHO.

Swift_Moves22
March 15th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Avalanche -
So you don't like the looks of it?
If it were available with an awd system as a softroad variant of Polo, would it be a car you would consider purchasing?

keystoneco
March 15th, 2011, 07:00 AM
The CrossPolo has a good looking rear, but a pretty weak looking front! If there were changes to the front design to give it more of a rugged look, then Ok. Otherwise, no thanks.

Marv

punksmurph
March 15th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I like the Suzuki interiors much more than the VWs because they are simpler and have smother lines. There is just to many pieces and angles and buttons in the VW Polo.

Swift_Moves22
March 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Great input! Seems to be similar and constistant design trends current SX4 owners are looking for in a new design for the next generation SX4. There would actually be some more news on both the Swift and next gen SX4 out by now (as well as the Toureg/XL7) but Suzuki Japan has really been dragging on this one. Partially due to the tie up with VW, it's not so much the VW side that is moving slow though. As a matter of fact they (VW) are getting a bit frustrated (to say the least) with the pace (or lack thereof) at which Suzuki moves on these matters. Osamu is not used to being rushed haha!

rubicon4wheeler
March 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM
The CrossPolo has a good looking rear, but a pretty weak looking front! If there were changes to the front design to give it more of a rugged look, then Ok. Otherwise, no thanks.

Marv

I think the CrossPolo has way too little ground clearance to be a suitable competitor to an SX4 or Subaru. As low to the ground as it is, there isn't much that differentiates it from the Polo or Golf, so what's the point? Give it some ground clearance, give it a good AWD system, and give it low gearing - it'll suit the needs of nearly anyone who would be shopping for a small SUV.

STICKSandROAD
March 15th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I think the CrossPolo has way too little ground clearance to be a suitable competitor to an SX4 or Subaru. As low to the ground as it is, there isn't much that differentiates it from the Polo or Golf, so what's the point? Give it some ground clearance, give it a good AWD system, and give it low gearing - it'll suit the needs of nearly anyone who would be shopping for a small SUV.

With what is pictured it seems to be more geared towards competing with the Impreza than any other Subie that is taller. If that is in fact what they are doing I think they are on target with the market they are looking into.

STICKSandROAD
March 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I like it, but the chrome roof rails are kinda tacky IMO.

...but I'm sure that changes with the trim level.

I actually sat in this (or something similar that had 'cross' in its name) when I was at the VW museum in Wolfsburg back in August...I was pretty pleased.

STICKSandROAD
March 15th, 2011, 05:18 PM
and during 2011 you will see Suzuki intently seeking out new TOP NOTCH dealers in areas where Suzuki has plenty of room for growth such as the mid-west states and northern states, etc.

I really hope this is the case because when I bought my Suzuki in the Milwaukee area back in July of '09 there were 3 dealerships to choose from. Now there are zero and have to drive to Chicago for warranty issues (in which I hope I never need to do). In fact there is only one dealership left in the state of Wisconsin.

I think Suzuki is really missing out on market share in an area where cheaper awd vehicles are apprciated.

Avalanche
March 16th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Avalanche -
So you don't like the looks of it?
If it were available with an awd system as a softroad variant of Polo, would it be a car you would consider purchasing?
Looks OK but it's a mainstream small car for women and sticking all sorts of trims all over it won't change it ;)

mcmuda
March 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Dude..it looks like a monster truck. The he11?

Aston martin sx4
March 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM
And here I thought the 90s bland car styling was never going to make a come back here comes that hideous thing.

Swift_Moves22
March 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM
And here I thought the 90s bland car styling was never going to make a come back here comes that hideous thing.

So I take it that means you don't care for the exterior styling of that particular VW model?