PDA

View Full Version : let's talk brakes

Capoken
February 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM
So at 41K miles I realize that I had better start planning for front brakes at least. I was thinking about slotted rotors from R1 and Akebono ceramic (from advance)

http://www.r1concepts.com/suzuki-sx4-2008-brakes2-PS.48013.htm

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Ultra-Premium-Ceramic-Disc-Brake-Pad-Kit-Akebono_14340012-P_219_R%7CGRPBRCOAMS_1618458412___

Does anyone have any experience with these two products? Also, does anyone have any advise for the DIY brake guy on the SX4? Any good write ups? How about hardware - did you have to replace that?

Thanks in advance!

Chris646
February 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I just replaced my front brake pads at about 40000 miles. Front brakes were squealing pretty loud. I used wagner thermoquiet's now they squeal more than ever... I heard the akebono were pretty good and once i get around to it i plan on doing all 4 rotors and pads... brakes on our sx4 is probably the most simple brake set up out there...

this is actually a very helpful write up with pics.. about half way down he talks about brakes...
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009/09/2009-suzuki-sx4-awd-suspension-walkaround.html

fizex
February 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I just replaced my front brake pads at about 40000 miles. Front brakes were squealing pretty loud. I used wagner thermoquiet's now they squeal more than ever... I heard the akebono were pretty good and once i get around to it i plan on doing all 4 rotors and pads... brakes on our sx4 is probably the most simple brake set up out there...

this is actually a very helpful write up with pics.. about half way down he talks about brakes...
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009/09/2009-suzuki-sx4-awd-suspension-walkaround.html

Good find!

apint2
February 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I installed R1 slotted and drilled rotors on my car about 15 months ago. I also went with their "PosiQuiet" Ceramic brake pads. I can only say, "It was money well spent". The rotors are treated and do not rust or discolor. They look as they did the first day they were installed. And, the ceramic pads are completely dust free. This is a great package.

Now for the down side:
Under braking, you'll probably get some noise from the slots and drill holes in the rotors. Roll the windows up and you won't hear a thing. Secondly, the "brake feel" with the ceramic pads may feel slightly soft. This, however does not effect the stopping potential. They will make your nose bleed under hard braking.

All in all, you cannot go wrong on price , value and performance.

brandon
February 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm using Akebono pads and R1 premium OEM rotors. The brakes work perfectly, and the pads are low dust. My wheels don't get black anymore.

vitus1978
February 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'm using Hawk HPS pads and Powerslot Cryo treated Rotors...... all is good here

SchumieFan
February 8th, 2011, 12:03 AM
great thread...

has anyone got the rrm rotors?

reviews?

B-Spec
February 8th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I am using Powerslot Cryo Rotors and EBC pads.. I can't fade the brakes now if I try.. I am seriously impressed.. Got everything online for next to nothing..

Capoken
February 9th, 2011, 09:10 AM
which EBC's did you get? Green stuff?

Capoken
February 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I am using Powerslot Cryo Rotors and EBC pads.. I can't fade the brakes now if I try.. I am seriously impressed.. Got everything online for next to nothing..

so where exactly did you find the powerslot Cryo rotors for our cars?

apint2
February 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Google is your friend
http://www.frozenrotors.com/products/power-slot-cryo/

a3dstorm
February 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I'm not into braking that much... but I don't like my car having 'solid rotors' in the rear, what could I put back there when I need to replace the brakes and probably those flimsy solid rotors?
I'd just like ventilated rotors in the back with no additional mods if possible. I just think rotors without ventilation should not exist... you can't resurface them. They are warped once you need to change pads. They just shouldn't exiist.

apint2
February 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM
The brake bias on most passenger cars is about 70/30 front to rear. Manufacturers put solid rear rotors on, almost all passenger cars, because they don't need ventilated rotor back there. It's a unnecessary cost and weight penalty. Now, if you want, you can use slotted and drilled rotors on the rear without any trade-offs.

a3dstorm
February 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
The brake bias on most passenger cars is about 70/30 front to rear. Manufacturers put solid rear rotors on, almost all passenger cars, because they don't need ventilated rotor back there. It's a unnecessary cost and weight penalty. Now, if you want, you can use slotted and drilled rotors on the rear without any trade-offs.

I agree with you, but hell even back in the days of front ventilated disk and rear drums, you could resurface both. On some cars, the car could go through all its useful life on the same rotors and drums. Nowadays, they are just disposable. One brake job, you need new rotors, :(

apint2
February 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with you, but hell even back in the days of front ventilated disk and rear drums, you could resurface both. On some cars, the car could go through all its useful life on the same rotors and drums. Nowadays, they are just disposable. One brake job, you need new rotors, :(
In almost all cases that can be remedied by not running around on the highway with the E-brake applied. :eek:

Die trying
February 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
In almost all cases that can be remedied by not running around on the highway with the E-brake applied. :eek:

Do you hear that? it sounds like a....... ROFLcopter!

.......................__ ............
......<ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL>.
........................| |...........
................... __\||/____......
.\\...............|'-|--| .\\....\.....
..\ \_...........|--|---|..\\ ....\....
../ L \____,/-------\___\___
.|LOL|-------------O----- ----,\..
..\ L /______,---''-----------, /...
../ /.............\_________ ,/....
.//.............____//___ __\\__/.

roflcopter fail!!! it looks right when i post it but then it all goes to hell....

anonymous
February 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Do you hear that? it sounds like a....... ROFLcopter!

.......................__ ............
......<ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL>.
........................| |...........
................... __\||/____......
.\\...............|'-|--| .\\....\.....
..\ \_...........|--|---|..\\ ....\....
../ L \____,/-------\___\___
.|LOL|-------------O----- ----,\..
..\ L /______,---''-----------, /...
../ /.............\_________ ,/....
.//.............____//___ __\\__/.

roflcopter fail!!! it looks right when i post it but then it all goes to hell....

roflcopter goes swaaa....swa....I SAID SWAA!!!!! :hi:

a3dstorm
February 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Idiots were not included in my post

apint2
February 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Huh???? Oh, well.

B-Spec
February 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM
so where exactly did you find the powerslot Cryo rotors for our cars?

Sorry, I don't check in here to often... I got the rotors off Ebay and I got the pads from Amazon.. I have the green stuff.. I think the pads were 50 bucks and I got the rotors for 120.00 shpped..

Here is the list price on Frozen Rotors web site.. Now that I see the actual price I sure hope I got Frozen rotors.. Sure seems like I paid way to little..

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2814/captureqho.jpg