PDA

View Full Version : recommendations to replace stock tires

coho
January 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Can anyone recommend the best all season tires to replace the stock tires with? has anyone put Cooper CS4's on their SX4?

Thanks!

cpautoxer
January 19th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Kumho ASX's size 225-55-16. They have the same diameter as the 205-60-16, but give you alittle more rubber under the car. I have used these from day one on the SX4. The steering and grip are vastly improved. Wet grip is also good until they get about 1/2 worn. They work well in the snow until they get about 1/2 way down too. Tire rack has them $92.00 a piece.

coho
January 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Rob,

Those look like nice tires, how many miles are you getting out of them?

Thanks!

Capoken
January 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Mastercraft - made in usa

02C2
January 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Mastercraft - made in usa

Seem fitting for a 100% Japanese car :hi:
I've always been a fan of Yokahama's. I'm going to be looking for new tires soon myself, been reading a LOT of reviews on Tire rack.

punksmurph
January 20th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I had awesome luck with Falken tires, there are a few good choices out there from them. Yokohama and Kuhmo are also good brands for the stock tire size.

chrisrunsi
January 20th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I havent replaced the tires on the sx4 yet but I put my whole family on Yokohama envigors. They all love them and never had a problem with rain or wet conditions. I have a set on my 97 neon and drove from nyc to hunter mountain in a snow storm last year. Unplowed roads and had little to no problem getting up there. TireRack has them for $87 in the stock size.

cpautoxer
January 20th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Rob,

Those look like nice tires, how many miles are you getting out of them?

Thanks!

I had them on my Acura RSX and then moved them to the SX4 in total about 45K miles on them and now they are dead and I will be buying a new set this spring. I also did 3 track days on them and a few autocross's. I have driven on alot of all season and these are the best. Second best wold be the continental extreme contacts but they don't last as long, maybe 25k, was all I got out of those on my Audi.

Capoken
January 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Seem fitting for a 100% Japanese car :hi:
I've always been a fan of Yokahama's. I'm going to be looking for new tires soon myself, been reading a LOT of reviews on Tire rack.

serioulsy - they've been great tires. My car is even better in the snow now and the dry grip is amazing. The sidewalls are not as stiff as I would like but i got used to it.

jerdog
January 20th, 2011, 03:31 PM
serioulsy - they've been great tires. My car is even better in the snow now and the dry grip is amazing. The sidewalls are not as stiff as I would like but i got used to it.
Capoken: What kind of Yokohamas do you have?

02C2
January 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM

To be honest, I haven't heard of Mastercraft, but I'll look into them.

I know on my Cougar, I had some of the cheapest Khumos you could get and burned thru those in like 6 months (casual driving) where the Yokohama Avids I had lasted like 60k miles, so I'm leaning towards the Yoks, but I like your review. Either way, it'll have to wait til I find a job :(

Capoken
January 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Mastercraft are made by Cooper. I bet you've heard of them.

Savedsol
January 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have the Good Year Triple Treds in the same size as the 'Zuki on our Mazda MPV. I live in the western burbs of Chicago and can attest to their winter/snow performance. We also drive the heck out of them through the fun roads in the Smoky Mtns 3+ times a year - they are great and confidence inspiring in all situations. At $120/tire they aren't cheap but the life is long. Our last set only made it 50K+ miles (rated for 70K+) So we got back $30/tire on our latest purchase. Was debating the Michelin HydroEdge but experience won out. No regrets and will be what I put on the SX4 when it's time.

Bought them from Discount Tire. They'll match TireRacks price (plus shipping costs). Plus rotations are free. Can't beat it.

pico23
January 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I put on Yokohama Avid TRZs at 18k and really liked them. Big performance upgrade over the Turanzas in wet, snow, and on dirt/gravel roads.

Nice deep tread, supposedly had a 72k treadlife which would lead you to believe they were hard as rocks but they were very responsive for such a good all around tire. I'm sure not the best tire on the market, but significantly better than the Turanza's and a good all around tire.

Mine have 48k on them, and are about 60-70% done, I know Rovert put them on his SX4 and got 53,000 and was happy with that. For what it's worth, I drive on a lot of mountain roads with 40-50mph speed limits and yellow signed 10-20mph turns that I toss the car into, along with about 3-5% dirt road miles. So I figure if I put the TRZs back on in the spring, and get 7,500 more out of them, 55k was reasonable with the mix of dirt and aggressive cornering.

I'm debating buying another set of TRZs or trying something else, but I highly recommend the tire for people that live in areas with varied weather and lots of rain.