PDA

View Full Version : rims look like ****? paint them?

SX4DUDE2013
January 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM
So its not a big deal but I want something to get my by that is cheap. I was thinking painting them black to help hide the scuff marks....anyone done this? Anyone have any pics? What kind of paint did you use?

Crossover Zack
January 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
unless you sand and fill the scuff marks, painting them won't make them look any better...

SX4DUDE2013
January 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM
unless you sand and fill the scuff marks, painting them won't make them look any better...

I do. Im gonna try to sand then a lil bit to smooth it out some. And then paint them....

Schultzey
January 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I didn't take very many pics when I painted my wheels because I was too busy sanding and painting. :hi: It is really easy, but can take some time and patience. Here is a good write up that can help you in you wheel painting. -->http://www.ehow.com/how_2133567_custom-paint-car-wheels.html

You will probably start out with some very coarse sandpaper to get out your scratches. Eventually you will want to use some fine sandpaper to get them smooth and ready for primer.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5047/5210040869_47edac6808_m.jpg
After sanding, I cleaned the dust off and used masking tape and newspaper to keep the tires from being painted. I went over kill with my masking job but it worked. Some people use a deck of cards to do prevent the tires from being painted. I applied a couple coats of wheel primer, three coats of wheel paint, and two coats of clear coat. This is my second winter with the painted wheels and they have held up really well considering how many times they have been on and off the vehicle. Good luck with your paint job!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5210635840_1ac6aed5ee_m.jpg

Wolfe787
January 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM
you can fill in the gaps with JBwelds and/or body filler with proper preparation that is. then add some pain (index cards positions correctly can save the pain of masking the tire)

SX4DUDE2013
January 11th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Im gonna talk to dad. If I can paint em black and they look good then I will keep em for a while. I dont wanna have to buy rims. They can be expensive. I called mom about getting a credit car and she freaked out. I will NEED new tires soon though. I believe if I had new tires, then yesterday would of went differnetly...i hope

02C2
January 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Why do you NEED new rims if they aren't bent to crap and tires still hold air?

SX4DUDE2013
January 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Why do you NEED new rims if they aren't bent to crap and tires still hold air?

who said I NEED new rims? Why would I try to fix them if I NEEDED new ones????

Caterham
January 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I believe if I had new tires, then yesterday would of went differnetly...i hope

Very possibly

Ronzuki
January 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
take whatever money you're going to waste on cosmectic non-sense and put it in a freaking jar labled NEW TIRES Fund already, jeeezus!

SX4DUDE2013
January 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
take whatever money you're going to waste on cosmectic non-sense and put it in a freaking jar labled NEW TIRES Fund already, jeeezus!

um...$30 wont get me far?

The Jesuit
January 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
So its not a big deal.

Then it isn't, so put your money, or whatever it is you use for currency in a cookie jar, and pay your parents back for all their misguided sacrifices.

red sx4crossover
January 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Just take the wheels down to your local Keystone Automotive and have them re-manufactured like new (in 72hours)...

Wolfe787
January 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM
home depot (or even local hardware stores that are cheaper) sell plenty of awsome paints in every color imaginable. (fancy extremely shiny gold rims? :hi:; how about BBQ black, whatever that color is :confused: )

IMO I would use the epoxy paint that are used for the fridge, with a good primer and loads of sanding.
buy some epoxy and some 400 grit waterproof sandpaper to fill in the deep scratches... dont forget to use LOADS of water.

thats the paint what I used in my dash and in the xbrace and leaves a thick coating that can take a beating. It ends up being really shiny also and is very easy to clean. the only cons are that the color selection is very limited and the dry time is a bit long, the paint should be left to be fully cured.

you can do 2 wheels at a time if sanding them down takes you 2 much time

anonymous
January 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
use duplicolor ;) that **** is the titssssssss

thats what im using for my engine parts. fukkin lovin it :hi:

Ronzuki
January 12th, 2011, 06:04 AM
um...$30 wont get me far?

Comments like this invite criticism son.

I know....it's truly a foreign concept these days (and apparently has been for quite some time)....this planning and saving thing. $30 towards the tire purchase is better than $0 towards the tire purchase that apparently you realize and acknowledge you need. I'm curious as to how you expect to accumulate the funds required to purchase anything in life if you don't start planning and saving towards it?

anonymous
January 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
2013, i would suggest not replying to the guys that say stuff that arent helpful. trust me, you will get out better in the long run rather than trying to climb out of another hole :hi:

automat
January 12th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I'm curious as to how you expect to accumulate the funds required to purchase anything in life if you don't start planning and saving towards it?
isn't that the exact reason they invented credit cards? :P j/k

I see the parents are wise enough to freak out and NOT give sx4dude a credit card. credit cards will choke you to death if you keep spending with them. you'll end up to the point you can no longer repay it and only pay for interests

anonymous
January 12th, 2011, 08:40 AM
i had a credit card last year, maxed it out, paid it off, closed the account, and am now a happy camper with having a debit card and a debit card only. never going the credit card route again for anything ha.

Adema135
January 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Tires. Do not ignore them. They're more important than almost anything else on your car, especially during winter. You're right, $30 isn't much. But if you have no source of income, you'll have the tires $30 sooner. Go to your local tire place or even Pep Boys that offer buying 3 and getting the 4th for free and buy a set of basic all-seasons. They'll be cheap and they'll be safe. They're not going to allow you to push it in the twisties or max it out on the highway but they'll definitely help you out in the rain and even the snow. Plus they're a whole hell of a lot safer than bald tires, which are dangerous in just about any situation. I've learned this one the hard way too.

ajfear24
January 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
O great sounds like this thread is going to turn into the same exact thing that his original post did and got locked for.

TomC
January 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
:popcorn:

anonymous
January 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM
:popcorn: hehe

Mrs_Suicide
January 12th, 2011, 10:03 AM
hey I want some popcorn too!!! :popcorn: ok much better now! :) so wheres the show?

anonymous
January 12th, 2011, 10:35 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:..............................

:zebra:..........that i may get a zebra out of that hahaha FA SHO!

markolson
January 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
i had a credit card last year, maxed it out, paid it off, closed the account, and am now a happy camper with having a debit card and a debit card only. never going the credit card route again for anything ha.

Credit cards are safer for most non-ftf transactions. I used a debit card for a while till I found out that if it gets hacked, your bank account could go away and you don't have the same protection (max loss $50) that you do with a credit card. I have a few different credit cards, earn points when I use them (BP Chase card for all gas purchases gets me $50 back every three months or so and my Choice Privileges card gets me free hotel rooms every five or six stays.) I always pay them off every month - no interest that way and the pay me to use them. I make it a habit to only use a debit card for purchases when I can hand it to someone or swipe and sign in person. I also try to use PayPal for on-line transactions when I can.

jelly2m8
January 13th, 2011, 08:22 AM
If you learned how to drive and stop smashing the everliving snot out of your car then you wouldn't have beat up rims:hi:

anonymous
January 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
i think he gets the point with all the bashing. back on topic please.

paint your rims, make a good point to prep them first though