PDA

View Full Version : banners for our sigs...

anonymous
January 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM
anyway you guys could let us have banners as our signatures?

p.s.....dont lock my thread like ya did last time, got pretty ripped because i still had questions. dont do it this time please.

Wolfe787
January 5th, 2011, 11:50 PM
that would be very nice :) a small banner to bring stuff to the forums and take the forums to other... "stuff"; examples include but not limited to: other forums, facebook, myspace, emails, etc...

:rolleyes:
I would slap a banner with a link to my build thread on even a job interview email :cool:

now i need to re-do my build thread :(

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 07:02 AM
well, i see banners on every other damn auto forum, people make em in photoshop and stuff, and thought it would be hella cool if we could do it here, adds something different, and we cant always be afraid to add new stuff! :hi:

Brumbie13
January 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Within 5 minutes of looking at another forum, I found this.

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/1148628573_3cijr-O.jpg

Wouldn't it be cool if our forum was as tacky as that?

No thank you, big signatures waste space and bandwidth and are irritating to a lot of people.

And the reason I closed the last thread was because a chat room is bad for a small forum environment, for the reasons I listed in that thread.
Forum leadership discussed it, and decided against it, and there was no more reason to discuss it. We decided that was what was best for our forum.

Wolfe787
January 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
if you go to disney thats what your going to find LOL!

Caterham
January 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I don't want banners either.

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
is this forum ever going to try something new? j/w.

Caterham
January 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Good idea!!!! We could ban sedans. :hi:

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Good idea!!!! We could ban sedans. :hi:

HA! force them all to trade in and buy hatchbacks, that would be a feat' of its own :hi:

Brumbie13
January 6th, 2011, 10:13 AM
if you go to disney thats what your going to find LOL!
That Disney one was the quickest example I could find, not the only example.
You can find that obnoxious overuse of signatures on forums about any subject, cars, disney, motorcycles, churches, etc.
This thread is evidence that tacky cumbersome signatures are not unique to Disney forums.

Just because something is new does not mean it is an improvement.
If you suggest something that is both new and also an improvement, I'm sure we will consider it.

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
i understand it may not be much of an improvement to have neither a chat room, or even banners in our sigs, but that doesnt mean it cant be regulated and if it gets out of hand than give the members a chance to fix it. it also gives members another way of individuality while on the forums, gives people a way to be more involved and maybe give others a reason to actually come here and post and have a "fun" experience.

Caterham
January 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM
kb, you seem to be having fun with the forum as it is.

Die trying
January 6th, 2011, 10:22 AM
im with brumbie. my paintball forums are infested with banners. i dont want to see that here

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 10:26 AM
oh i love the forum, i tend to feel connected to it on a more personal level the more and more i am involved in things. but having something new could make it more interesting for people other than myself. this place has become a second home, checking up on posts i have made, checking up on other peoples issues, where i may not be able to help much, but definitely give input to the subject. i just think club sx4 is missing a few things, that other forums have that we could use and have a good time with. the civic k swap forums and ek forums all are happenin with members, sure at one time they werent to filled, but things were made more interesting and gave a people a reason to frequent the site and keep in touch with people with issues and stuff. though brumbs has a good point, it may not improve the forum as much as other things we could utilize, but that doesnt mean we couldn't try it, regulate it, and if it gets out of hand, give the members a chance to clean their act up, and if it gets out of hand after that, quit it all together.

Brumbie13
January 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM
People get mad when you take things away.

If we give the ability to put images in signatures, most people will stay conservative, but several people will go crazy with it and post huge signatures.
This will annoy everyone else who came to the forum for information, not because they felt a lack of big tacky banners in their lives.

So what will we do? We'll ask people to use their better judgment and stay conservative.
The problem: different people have different opinions of what it means to be conservative. And the people with gaudy signatures think they ARE being conservative.

So, in order to not single people out and make them feel insulted, what will we do?
We'll place a restriction on the signature size and content.
What will that do? Two things:
1) Make a lot of people who weren't treating their signature like a canvas needing to be filled mad. Because of the minority, they are restricted. I get a lot of nasty PM's that I have to deal with.
2) Once I set restrictions, they only affect from that point in time on, not anything done previously. So the people that have the heinous signatures will keep them, while those who comply and change their signatures will lack the option. In essence, the people who weren't causing the problem were the ones who faced consequence, while the ones who caused the nuisance will keep it.

How do I know this is the case?
It happened already.
Not with signature pictures, but with signature size.
I think you were registered on this forum when that happened.

Brumbie13
January 6th, 2011, 10:39 AM
For the record, I pride myself on keeping a forum that has very little in common with civic forums. :)

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM
yeah i remember it, i changed my sig and moved on. i didnt think it was as much of an issue though when you regulated how much you can put in the sig. yeah, i remember them being long, mine was one of them, but i changed it and moved on. now that there are regulations, things have gotten under control. if you regulate something, it seems to be strict, and people are cool with it. maybe make the sig pictures about cars only? idk, it seems pretty reasonable if you regulate it, size, topic, all that jazz, than i dont see the issue at hand.

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
For the record, I pride myself on keeping a forum that has very little in common with civic forums. :)

yes, civics are a bit of disgrace and gave the "tuning" world a bad rep, but you have to admit, those sites have waaaaay more people on them than any if not all sx4 sites combined. we could get there someday. just dont see it happening anytime to soon.

Caterham
January 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
yes, civics are a bit of disgrace and gave the "tuning" world a bad rep, but you have to admit, those sites have waaaaay more people on them than any if not all sx4 sites combined. we could get there someday. just dont see it happening anytime to soon.

There are waaayyy more civic owners. I don't want to be anything like a civic forum.

Brumbie13
January 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, to you it was no big deal, but some others got really mad about it.

There is no way to regulate them in regard to size or content. The forum only has an "enable pictures" or "disable pictures" option.
If we enable them, things will get out of hand, we will have to disable them, and people will get mad again.

Do you know the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law?
Letter of the law - What the law actually says.
Spirit of the law - The purpose for, or reason behind the law.

For example, we limited the amount of lines available in the signature to keep signatures small.
You chose to use very big lettering in your new signature, which made your signature large.
You didn't violate the letter of the law, you stayed within the parameters (which was forced by the settings we placed on the forum.) But you didn't obey the spirit of the law, which was to keep signatures small and unobtrusive.
That put me in the position of choosing between enforcing the signature rule we put in place, or letting you keep your large signature.
Although it was distracting, I chose to not bring up the issue, so that I didn't offend a good contributing forum member.

There is a lot that goes into the dynamic of keeping the majority in a forum happy.
You don't see the issue because you are on the user side of things, not a staff side of things.

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, to you it was no big deal, but some others got really mad about it.

There is no way to regulate them in regard to size or content. The forum only has an "enable pictures" or "disable pictures" option.
If we enable them, things will get out of hand, we will have to disable them, and people will get mad again.

Do you know the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law?
Letter of the law - What the law actually says.
Spirit of the law - The purpose for, or reason behind the law.

For example, we limited the amount of lines available in the signature to keep signatures small.
You chose to use very big lettering in your new signature, which made your signature large.
You didn't violate the letter of the law, you stayed within the parameters (which was forced by the settings we placed on the forum.) But you didn't obey the spirit of the law, which was to keep signatures small and unobtrusive.
That put me in the position of choosing between enforcing the signature rule we put in place, or letting you keep your large signature.
Although it was distracting, I chose to not bring up the issue, so that I didn't offend a good contributing forum member.

There is a lot that goes into the dynamic of keeping the majority in a forum happy.
You don't see the issue because you are on the user side of things, not a staff side of things.

i was un aware that there was no way to regulate picture sizes, apologies on that. if i knew that in the first place, i would have understood for sure. having just a button that enables or disables them is really no help. i do see though that your able to yay or nay having html in your sigs along with pictures. was unaware though that you were not able to regulate size. my bad brumbs :rolleyes:

i am very aware of the difference between the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law", hate that phrasing, dealt with it this passed year in class. **** being a CJ major.

i did use very big lettering in my sig, apologies on that. deleted my sig all together. true i stayed within the parameters, you should have let me know it was to big broski, i would have made it smaller, i may have been like "wtf....douche-muffin...", changed my sig, and kept that to myself. next time, let a nukka know :hi:

i in no way know of what its like to be a mod for this site, so your right, i only see it from a user point of view.

if there was a way to regulate banners in posts. would you allow it?

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
double post, ahhh interweb lagzz blow.

anonymous
January 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
There are waaayyy more civic owners. I don't want to be anything like a civic forum.

true on that, there are way more civic owners. but that doesnt mean we cant strive to keep people here at the forum to frequent more just like the civic owners do on their forums.

and why not be like a civic forum? im sure they would think the same about us. "i wouldnt want to be an sx4 forum, they are plain and seem out of date"

Die trying
January 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM
i don't want us to be like a civic forum because hondas are "teh suxorz"

anonymous
January 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM
but you can make a honda go way faster for a fraction of the cost :hi:

if there was an aftermarket backing for suzuki like there was honda.....oh damn there might be a showdown haha :cool:

Duderotomy
January 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM
If you'd like to see a great example of signatures gone overboard... visit this forum: http://www.lxforums.com/board/index.php

Signatures can really get out of hand... and have over there.

punksmurph
January 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Oh dear God that was horrible. That is so what I am afraid of happening here.

anonymous
January 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Oh dear God that was horrible. That is so what I am afraid of happening here.

it wont happen here, because it has been regulated.

SX4DUDE2013
January 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM
kb1oju does have a point though...us younger generation need to have some input as well....after all it is 2011 :)

Wolfe787
January 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I can't even write a decent sig LOL!

LVSX4
January 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Civics are not the disgrace.. the owners were. Get it straight.

My1stCar
January 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM
just read through this thread, and idk...

If you wanna have a picture of your car when you post, put it in your avatar :P.
Ive never been to a civic forum, but idk if we need to get all chat system this, banners that.
I like the forum the way it is, but thats just my opinion. It's here for information, and it doesnt need to be cluttered with everything.
If you want to show pictures of your car, post some in the gallery :P

*ps* i wouldnt mind a civic hatch back :p

anonymous
January 10th, 2011, 06:03 PM
im over it now ha, just figured ide throw the suggestion out :hi:

a civic hatch WOULD be tit. those things really can be built to rock ha. and for cheap money too!