PDA

View Full Version : Choices...choices.

carcrazy003
November 1st, 2013, 04:18 PM
I thought I would post a thread here to get an unbiased response. I am in the market for a project car. My list is either 240sx, resto-mod to a jdm type x model.
Ae86 hatch...which are impossible to find :/.
Or a GC8 impreza, resto-mod into a sti version 5.
I know the 240 would be the cheapest and the impreza the most expensive in most aspects.
Just wanted to see what you other car guys think. All opinions are welcome. :beer::beer::beer::beer:

My1stCar
November 1st, 2013, 04:25 PM
Do you want to stand out, or do you want to be like everyone else? I can't say I know much about any of the cars you listed, other than i see 240sx's being owned by a lot more 'highschool aged ricers' (if you know what i mean). That said, you could make your 240 into something they only dream about, and it would stand out. As for the impreza, ive literally only seen 1 around here and it was one that was classy and clean, but still enough for me to remember years ago. As for the toyota.. if you can my god gooby

carcrazy003
November 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
I agree. I see a lot of the 240's for sale are owned by young kids...and they are slammed on crap coilovers with stupid outrageous body kits. But I actually found a super clean...no rust!!!...240 hatch that already has the sr20 swap. Of course it has crap coilovers and cheap rims but that stuff doesn't bother me because I can sell it or throw it away. I have loved both the S13 and GC since I was a kid and now I'm older I can easily afford one and I don't know with one to pick!! I am leaning towards the GC just because of the usability especially in a state where there is snow half the f'ing year. :)

HotWheels
November 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM
I would lend towards the Imperza just because you don't see a lot of them out and about.

SX4rocious
November 2nd, 2013, 05:13 AM
I agree. there are soooo many 280's here. finding a good one is another story, but I'm much more into rare cars. There is only one GC around here and it makes a GREAT impression every time I see it. There is also one good ae86 here and I have to say, it is by far my favorite. Sounds amazing, looks great, extremely rare, and crazy reliable. I'd kill for one, but it'll have to wait for a few years. Whatever you decide dude, don't let our oppinions influence you one way or the other! You already have a Suzuki, so we all know you have great taste in cars!!

HotWheels
November 12th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Have you decided on what kind of model you want?

Pete the Pirate
November 14th, 2013, 03:33 PM
A loaded 280 or first generation 300, with a Ford 302. The Turbos had the bigger one ton truck diff and should be reasonably durable.

Wagoneer
November 15th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I wouldn't pick any of those. They've all been done, and they all sort of have a negative boy-racer stereotype that comes along with them.

If I had to choose I'd go with the impreza just because I like the bub bub bub bub bub bub bub bub bub :cool:

Pete the Pirate
November 15th, 2013, 04:28 PM
How about a stock Mercury Marauder. Less boy racer than any Sube.

SX4rocious
November 15th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'm a huge fan of 70's Japanese imports. Say a pretty cool 70 something Civic hill climb racer on ebay for like $3500 the other day!

Pete the Pirate
November 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
You can't beat a Miata for handling per penny spent.

carcrazy003
November 18th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Well gentleman.... I bought a car. I actually have been looking for this car for a while to...just like the ae86, its hard to find in good condition. I agree the Miata is a great car, plus cheap to work on, but I would prefer a S2000 if I was getting a roadster. But without further ado......
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/18/7e6abegu.jpg
My 1977 Datsun 280Z ;)
Floor pans and frame are RUST FREE...I cannot stress how rare that is for these cars. It needs some work obviously but everything is there. All the trim, molding, interior, etc. Sorry Thats the best pic I have so far. I will take more when I get back home Tuesday or Wednesday.

My1stCar
November 18th, 2013, 08:54 AM

ok :)

HotWheels
November 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Well gentleman.... I bought a car. I actually have been looking for this car for a while to...just like the ae86, its hard to find in good condition. I agree the Miata is a great car, plus cheap to work on, but I would prefer a S2000 if I was getting a roadster. But without further ado......
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/18/7e6abegu.jpg
My 1977 Datsun 280Z ;)
Floor pans and frame are RUST FREE...I cannot stress how rare that is for these cars. It needs some work obviously but everything is there. All the trim, molding, interior, etc. Sorry Thats the best pic I have so far. I will take more when I get back home Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am soo jelly :)! Datsun's are amazing :D

jacob025
November 18th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Nice, my father build a tamiya model off the datsun way back in the eighties.And it was a rally racer model red with the black hood and the extra lights on the hood.This is the first one i see in more then 20 years i think.

SX4rocious
November 20th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Ever since "Bruce Almighty", I've wanted one of these!! Keep us informed!!

CF7
December 1st, 2013, 02:32 PM
I had rode in one of these..in 77...
nice car....btw...It was my pizzeria boss car..

SX4rocious
December 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
digging the flares BTW, need more pics

carcrazy003
December 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Sorry guys I will try to get more pics soon. I have already removed all the carpet and padding. Ordered a new dashboard....black Friday ;)....after that will be replacing carpet and starting brakes and rust repair.

polarbear
December 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Nice find !! a friend had a 240z, 280z and still has a 300zx= cool cars

Pete the Pirate
December 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
The 280 is the best of the early Z's. Way way better than the 260. Better than the gussied up 280ZX. I got to drive a first generation year old non turbo 300 for a day or so. No, it wasn't "Awesome" like the ads said. But even though I was determined to dis it I found myself liking it more and more. The shifter, clutch, and especially the steering were truly mind readers.